Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seven-step drop: Troy Polamalu struggles

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Seven-step drop: Troy Polamalu struggles

Seven-step drop: Troy Polamalu struggles
    By James Walker

Even Troy Polamalu occasionally has bad games. The Pittsburgh Steelers' do-it-all safety had his worst game in years during Sunday's 20-10 loss to the New Orleans Saints. Polamalu and Saints Pro Bowl quarterback Drew Brees were involved in a chess match, and Brees won most of those matchups by catching Polamalu out of position several times for big gains. Polamalu struggled to get a read on Brees and was a step or two late on big plays. Polamalu also missed tackles he usually makes in what was a rare, subpar performance by his standards.

The Superdome was the loudest stadium I've heard all season. The raucous atmosphere definitely bothered Pittsburgh (5-2), which had won its first three road games this season. The communication on offense was shaky because of the crowd noise, and the defense eventually succumbed to the pressure of trying to carry the team for four quarters.
    "We better get used to these kind of environments; it comes with the territory when you're trying to be world champs," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "We've got to play good people in their place and play better than that moving forward."

I'm baffled as to why the Steelers failed to successfully attack New Orleans' blitzes. Pittsburgh's Ben Roethlisberger is one of the NFL's best quarterbacks at beating pressure packages. The play calling was one step behind. The Steelers didn't run many screens, couldn't execute hot routes and didn't take many shots deep against single coverage. That would have made New Orleans think twice about bringing extra defenders. But Pittsburgh's offense never figured it out. So credit the Saints for continuing to bring the heat.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/cat...burgh-steelers

Threads : 407

Default Re: Seven-step drop: Troy Polamalu struggles

Needed more quick hitch passes to stop all the blitzing...might have broke a big one in the process...can't just sit there and let them continue to blitz.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I'm baffled as to why the Steelers failed to successfully attack New Orleans' blitzes.
    Really James?Maybe its because our OC is a flaming retard and our QB still struggles with calling protection????

Threads : 60

If we had to lose to some team I'm glad it was the Saints. Who knows, this might have been a prelude of this years Super Bowl. Good to get the learning experience out of the way.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    If we had to lose to some team I'm glad it was the Saints. Who knows, this might have been a prelude of this years Super Bowl. Good to get the learning experience out of the way.
    You're assuming that BA EVER learns anything.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post

Good Point

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    He's learned to keep his job when he should have already been fired. I guess the only way we take out this Indian is by taking out the Chief.

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    He's learned to keep his job when he should have already been fired. I guess the only way we take out this Indian is by taking out the Chief.

Threads : 440

Polamalu's disappointment could mean trouble for Bengals

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Own worst critic
    Chaz Palla/Pittsburgh Tribune-Review

Just as Drew Brees throwing four interceptions prior to his dissection of one of the NFL's worst statistical pass defenses didn't bode well for the Steelers, the same may be said of the Bengals when it comes to Troy Polamalu.

The All-Pro strong safety was unusually hard on himself after the Steelers' 20-10 loss to the Saints on Sunday.

And that probably won't make things any easier Monday night for the Bengals in Cincinnati.

Such logic is the same that applied to the Saints quarterback a week ago: Polamalu is simply too good a player to expect another subpar game from him.

And after the Steelers' second loss of the season, it didn't sound like the five-time Pro Bowler simply will shrug off his performance as a rare bad day at the office.

"If I did my job in the second half (against the Saints), we would have won the game," Polamalu said.

He blew an assignment that led to a 50-yard reception by Saints wide receiver Robert Meachem in the fourth quarter. When pointed out that the biggest play of the game at that point did not cost the Steelers because they recovered a fumble three plays later, Polamalu would hear none of it.

"I didn't hold up my end of the job the two safeties have to do," said Polamalu, who had six tackles against the Saints. "I felt like I was one step away on every play. There's a lot for me, personally, to learn from this game."

The game did nothing to discourage questions about a pass defense that now ranks 25th in the NFL (243.1 yards per game).

Even more disconcerting is the Steelers allowing opposing quarterbacks to complete 68 percent of passes. For comparison's sake, the Steelers yielded a completion rate of 56.5 percent in 2008.

If the Steelers want to achieve what they did two seasons ago when they won a sixth Super Bowl, they have to tighten up their pass defense.

And it may start with Polamalu in Cincinnati.

QUOTABLES

Left tackle Max Starks, on the Steelers getting stopped three times from inside the Saints' 1-yard line Sunday:

"I think we've been running the ball very well this year, minus the last week, and I think when we get in those situations where we need half a yard, you usually think that's going to get in. But they just outflanked us and outsmarted us on those three plays."

Strong safety Troy Polamalu, on the Steelers without injured defensive end Aaron Smith:

"We're going to miss Aaron, but when we've played teams like Baltimore and Miami, teams that have run-first offenses, that's when we'll see whether or not we miss him. Obviously, Aaron is a huge asset to our team and, of course, we miss him, but we'll see how we react when we play a really solid run team."

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, on the direction of the team despite Sunday's loss:

"We got knocked down a little bit, and now, it will be interesting to see how we will bounce back. We'll just have to evaluate things, but I don't think there's any reason to panic."

3 QUESTIONS WITH DE BRETT KEISEL

You may be the best basketball player on the Steelers. Who is your starting five from this locker room?

"At the '5' would be Max (Starks). I would be the '4' because I like to bang down low. At the '3' we would put Ben (Roethlisberger). The '2' would be Ike (Taylor) and at the point, we'd have Antwaan (Randle El)."

If you were NFL commissioner for a day, what is one thing you would do?

"If I was commissioner for a day, the one thing I would do is make sure the CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement) got done that day so we know we're going to play football for a long time and it's over and done with and we can move forward."

What is on your bucket list?

"I want to skydive. I want to get in a cage with Great Whites (sharks), and I want to go to Australia."

DIGITS

3: Bengals turnovers in their last four wins against the Steelers dating back to 2005

-8: The Steelers' turnover differential in their last four losses to AFC North rival Cincinnati

11:08: Steelers edge in time of possession in two games against the Bengals in 2009

82.5: Rushing yards the Steelers averaged in the four games that Roethlisberger missed while suspended

95.7: Rushing yards the Steelers have averaged in the three games since Roethlisberger's return

3 PLAYERS TO WATCH

Terrell Owens/Chad Ochocinco, Bengals WRs

It's hard to differentiate between the two entertainers/football players now that they are in the Queen City, but they have combined for 1,087 receiving yards and seven touchdowns in seven games.

Carson Palmer, Bengals QB

He has been riding a hot streak, as he has averaged 272 passing yards and thrown for nine touchdowns in Cincinnati's last four games.

Ben Roethlisberger, Steelers QB

Will be looking for some redemption after having an off game (20 of 40, 174 yards, interception) the last time the Steelers played the Bengals.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_707159.html

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    C'mon Les do you not agree? What makes you believe Tomlin will ever fire this bum? Arians is so bad that he is not even considered for head coaching jobs after winning a Super Bowl ring. That should tell Tomlin something if he can't see it for himself.
    Last edited by LasVegasGuy; Nov-02-2010 at 05:59 PM.

C'mon Les do you not agree? What makes you believe Tomlin will ever fire this bum? Arians is so bad that he is not even considered for head coaching jobs after winning a Super Bowl ring.
    The promotion and natural progression of Randy Fichtner through our system.

The promotion and natural progression of Randy Fichtner through our system.
    At this point I will try anyone. What we did against the Saints was atrocious. Arians has used up all his lives in my opinion.

At this point I will try anyone. What we did against the Saints was atrocious. Arians has used up all his lives in my opinion.
    Oh,I more than agree,but we can't do much at this point other than hope for a SB win and for Arians to call the best game of his life as to impress some dumbass team(Cleveland,I'm looking at you) to hire him.

Oh,I more than agree,but we can't do much at this point other than hope for a SB win and for Arians to call the best game of his life as to impress some dumbass team(Cleveland,I'm looking at you) to hire him.
    We win a Super Bowl despite Arians you can bet your *** he isn't going anywhere. We just may be stupid enough to offer him a ridiculous extension to stay. It would be 2008 all over again. He was a bum then and the Super Bowl win saved him. He is a bum now and a Super Bowl win would save him gain.

We win a Super Bowl despite Arians you can bet your *** he isn't going anywhere. We just may be stupid enough to offer him a ridiculous extension to stay. It would be 2008 all over again. He was a bum then and the Super Bowl win saved him. He is a bum now and a Super Bowl win would save him gain.
    Nah,I'd be willing to bet anything that we wouldn't sign him back.Guy is a retard and everyone knows it................even Ben and Tomlin at this point.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information