Thread: Crosby New Shootout Ace???

Threads : 15

Default Crosby New Shootout Ace???

We all know that Crosby changed sticks for this season and really worked on his shooting during the off season. But have you guys noticed anything different he is doing in the shootout?? He is 4 for 4 so far and you almost get the feeling he is going to score everytime

Threads : 34
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Crosby New Shootout Ace???

As odd as this sounds, I think this might be Crosby's break out year. Think about that before you rip on me for saying it.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pendog66 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We all know that Crosby changed sticks for this season and really worked on his shooting during the off season. But have you guys noticed anything different he is doing in the shootout?? He is 4 for 4 so far and you almost get the feeling he is going to score everytime
    Sometimes i think shoot outs are more about luck. you know, just pitcking the right move that, that goalie just isn't expecting. Sid has been doing more moves than straight shooting this year but you know last night for example... that was pure luck. Goalie had it stopped but backed up and just watched the puck trickle over the line for some odd reason.

Like BGK said, this might be sid's year. He's been curbed the past 2 years by injuries and stuff and if he stays injury free this season I think he could hit career highs in goals and points for sure

Threads : 82

It might be luck but I wouldn't say Geno is unlucky that is why he never gets SO goals. There is defo skill involved there. Sure that last one could have gone either way but he isn't 4/4 purely on luck. Face offs are a similar sort of thing I think. I think there is much mind game going into it as skill. Sid wasn't so great at either of those things early on but he worked at it. You have to love that. Sometimes I wish Geno was that way. He said I think that he hates shoot outs and is not good at it but it doesn't even look like he tries.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It might be luck but I wouldn't say Geno is unlucky that is why he never gets SO goals. There is defo skill involved there. Sure that last one could have gone either way but he isn't 4/4 purely on luck. Face offs are a similar sort of thing I think. I think there is much mind game going into it as skill. Sid wasn't so great at either of those things early on but he worked at it. You have to love that. Sometimes I wish Geno was that way. He said I think that he hates shoot outs and is not good at it but it doesn't even look like he tries.
    There's a skill involved with faceoffs. Positioning on a player, stick work, of course being quickest to the draw..

with shoot outs though, i mean there's really only a handful of things a player can do. whether the goalie predicts it right or not is the biggest factor. What Sid has done thusfar this year is that he's actually been fooling the goalies mroe. he's not coming in flat and taking shots, he's been deking more and mixing things up.

Sid has always had confidence in shoot outs. I don't think Geno has that same amount of confidence and when he takes a shoot out shot or a penalty shot he seems to get lost when it happens.

I think most players have skill and ability with deking in shoot outs. i mean look at Jarrko Ruutu for example. There's something mental with Geno that's off in regards to shoot outs more than it is a skill and talent thing

Threads : 34

As a guy who rarely ever lost a faceoff, I would have to say the two biggest factors in winning a draw are hand/eye coordination, and timing. I used to have the timing down to a point. as soon as the ref started moving his arm. I would watch the puck the whole way til it left his hand and could just feel when it was going to hit the ice. I had it timed so my stick went under the puck before it hit the ice and was already sweeping backwards when the puck hit the ice.

Defintely give kudos to Sid for drastic improvement on faceoffs. If only Malkin would follow his lead.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information