Thread: Big East plans for 10 in football

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Big East plans for 10 in football

11/3/2010
    Big East plans for 10 in football
    By Dan Gelston Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA - The Big East conference is set to expand its football roster.

Big East presidents unanimously agreed to expand the number of football-playing schools to 10 at Tuesday's board of directors meeting.

Commissioner John Marinatto said in a statement potential expansion candidates will start to be evaluated. He declined comment to The Associated Press, along with athletic directors and Big East adviser Paul Tagliabue, after the meeting.

The 16-member Big East, where all members play basketball, has eight teams playing football. There was no timetable announced for a decision.

One obvious candidate to join is Villanova.

The conference informed Villanova shortly before Labor Day that it wanted to add the Wildcats to the football roster. Villanova currently plays in the Colonial Athletic Association in FCS. Villanova won a national championship last year and is considering a move up to the Football Bowl Subdivision. If it does, that will fill one of the Big East's spots.

"Our football evaluation is ongoing," Villanova AD Vince Nicastro said. "We are moving forward as quickly as we can, but not at the expense of being absolutely thorough. We still don't have a specific decision date, but it is likely to be resolved sometime during this academic year."

Villanova, which made the Final Four in 2009, has been part of the Big East basketball conference since 1980.

The Wildcats have played at the second-tier level since 1985 and rejected an earlier offer to join the Big East in 1997. Connecticut accepted an invitation that season to start the process to move up to what was known as Division I-A.

Other potential expansion targets include TCU from the Mountain West Conference, and Central Florida, Houston from Conference USA. While Texas schools seem like an odd fit geographically, it would allow the Big East to tap into huge television markets, as well as fertile recruiting territory.

Temple, which was essentially kicked out of the Big East a few years ago and is now experiencing a renaissance in the Mid-American Conference, could also be a possibility, but Villanova would also deliver the Philadelphia market so there might not be a need for two schools from that area.

The move also raises the idea that expansion could lead to a split between basketball only and the football members. Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers, Louisville, West Virginia, USF, Connecticut, and Cincinnati all play football.

Non-football members such as Villanova also include St. John's, Seton Hall, Marquette, DePaul, Providence and Notre Dame.

UConn basketball coach Jim Calhoun said at Big East media day last month that a shakeup could come.

"Since football's come, we've had less and less influence," he said. "That's good in many ways. I love football. But the league is set up to be very good for football and it's become so much more difficult for basketball.

"For basketball, you've really created a nightmare for coaches. The 18 games continues to be a nightmare for me personally. Always will be."

While Big East is as strong as any basketball conference in the country, the football generally lags behind conferences such as the Big Ten and SEC. Because of that, the Big East's teams are targets for other leagues, which could offer more money and higher profiles.

When the Big Ten announced last December it was considering expansion, it made sense that the conference might target Big East schools as new members. Instead, the conference started its 20th football season with its membership intact.

That doesn't mean the Big East is entirely in the clear when it comes to its teams being poached by other leagues, another reason why it needed to be proactive and expand.

"I don't think anything's settled at all," Calhoun said. "I still think there will be change."

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...-east-football
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 29

Default Re: Big East plans for 10 in football

They should add IUP and Slippery Rock.

Level of competition would be the same.

Threads : 150

Expansion makes sense, but expansion for the sake of expansion, i.e. bumping up Villanova from D-II, is foolish and only weakens the conference.

Threads : 3263

Yea... I was actually excited about all the expansion/reallignment within the NCAA earlier this year, but this just seems to be stupid... Adding these teams to the football side of the conference will only make the Big East even more of a joke.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 6

I snickered when I first read this. It's probably too late, but a complete realignment of all schools and sports is necessary for the league. They sold their soul for basketball and this is what's left for football. An automatic BCS bid for this league is a complete joke.

TCU will never join for many reasons. The biggest reason will be the league losing it's automatic BCS bid.

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I snickered when I first read this. It's probably too late, but a complete realignment of all schools and sports is necessary for the league. [HIGH-LIGHT]They sold their soul for basketball and this is what's left for football. An automatic BCS bid for this league is a complete joke.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

TCU will never join for many reasons. The biggest reason will be the league losing it's automatic BCS bid.
    Exactly.

And when it comes to TCU, sure it sounds all well and good for travel for football, yeah it's far but it's only a few games here and there both ways. But when you factor in that the non-revenue sports have to travel, the volleyball, the field hockey, the swimming, etc etc, then it's a losing $ proposition and a non-starter.

Threads : 29

Maybe they'll invite Temple back.

Threads : 3
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ame/index.html

Read this article. Andy Staples provides a compelling argument for why Notre Dame should join the Big East.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    Exactly.

And when it comes to TCU, sure it sounds all well and good for travel for football, yeah it's far but it's only a few games here and there both ways. But when you factor in that the non-revenue sports have to travel, the volleyball, the field hockey, the swimming, etc etc, then it's a losing $ proposition and a non-starter.
    Vand:

Point taken, however keep this in mind..

The Big East financially can offer quite a bit more than the Mountain West. Also, where football rules all and dictates movement, TCU will make up for it tenfold by being in a conference with the automatic BCS bid. I think by getting a team like TCU, the Big East keeps that sport in tact.

In terms of travel and distance to away games, TCU would actually be CLOSER or the same distance on several Big East roadies than they are currently in the Mountain West. It takes 19 hours to get from Pittsburgh to Fort Worth.. It takes 19 to Las Vegas and Provo from Fort Worth. It's only 13 to Louisville, 15 to Cincinnati and 17 to Morgantown and Tampa.
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by Pie Traynor View Post
    Vand:

Point taken, however keep this in mind..

The Big East financially can offer quite a bit more than the Mountain West. Also, where football rules all and dictates movement, TCU will make up for it tenfold by being in a conference with the automatic BCS bid. I think by getting a team like TCU, the Big East keeps that sport in tact.

In terms of travel and distance to away games, TCU would actually be CLOSER or the same distance on several Big East roadies than they are currently in the Mountain West. It takes 19 hours to get from Pittsburgh to Fort Worth.. It takes 19 to Las Vegas and Provo from Fort Worth. It's only 13 to Louisville, 15 to Cincinnati and 17 to Morgantown and Tampa.
    Yes but I think that TCU is way much more likely to join the Big 12 since they've lost a couple members.

Quote Originally Posted by Power Hour View Post
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...ame/index.html

Read this article. Andy Staples provides a compelling argument for why Notre Dame should join the Big East.
    I don't know, I didn't really see his argument as grounded in reality.

The B10 wants ND for football, and so does the Big East.

If ND were to choose, I'm certain they would pick the B10.

The author's argument is that being in the Big East would benefit them because the conference isn't all that good (to paraphrase) thus giving them a good shot at a BCS bowl every year. While that may be true, ND already has a sweetheart deal with the BCS to get into a game that should be more likely for them to attain than winning the Big East year in and year out. Why give that up?

He also gives some hogwash story about how joining the B10 would limit ND's recruiting just to the Midwest. I'm sorry but that's a complete fallacy.

Threads : 215

UCF, ECU, and Marshall would fit well. The mutual benefit would be less travel for all and the new teams would get some recruiting positives from the move. All three of these teams have been good and then had rough times.
    UCF is a nice sized school, ECU is usually good and Marshall could be on the rise again, with Holiday for the coach and the improvement in all around efforts of late..........Yes, Temple could be that team, if they had suitable facilities. This I do not know. Marshall would travel well in the Big East.

My theme here is stay in the East. Even if the big teams (Pitt) left, there would be a good base of teams that travel reasonably well.

The CUSA could keep their Texas flavour and have teams that are closer, or merge with a Western conference. Memphis could play Texas teams geographically.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bump.

Never wasn't long
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    I snickered when I first read this. It's probably too late, but a complete realignment of all schools and sports is necessary for the league. They sold their soul for basketball and this is what's left for football. An automatic BCS bid for this league is a complete joke.

[HIGH-LIGHT]TCU will never join for many reasons. [/HIGH-LIGHT] The biggest reason will be the league losing it's automatic BCS bid.
    Opps.

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post
    They should add IUP and Slippery Rock.

Level of competition would be the same.
    Should have went after Cal of Pa. The Vulcans would lay a smack down on their asses.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information