Thread: Steelers Team Report

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers Team Report

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...s-2010-nfl-pit

Steelers Team Report
    Yahoo! Sports

INSIDE SLANT

The distractions continue for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who have endured them off and on the field for most of the year. The latest came Tuesday when NFL commissioner Roger Goodell summoned Pro Bowl linebacker James Harrison to his office in New York for a meeting of the minds.

In the wake of that meeting, safety Troy Polamalu blasted the new crackdown on certain hits in the NFL, charged that Goodell had too much power and talked about “paranoia” around the league since heavy fines were ladled out to several defensive players two weeks ago, including $75,000 to Harrison.

“It’s football, you know. If people want to watch soccer then they can watch soccer,” Polamalu said. “But, honestly, overseas when people are attracted to this game, they’re going to see the big hits, they’re not going to care about touchdowns and different things. So you’re also taking apart what attracts people to this game.”

Despite all of their distractions, which began with a sexual assault claim against quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his subsequent four-game suspension, the Steelers enter their Monday night game in Cincinnati with a 5-2 record and a first-place tie with Baltimore in the AFC North.

Polamalu said it’s no use complaining to league officials about it, including Goodell, because they don’t care.

“Sometimes I think it just falls on deaf ears,” Polamalu said. “I think a lot of players have said a lot of things and I guarantee you he heard everything everybody said.

“But, you know, he’s got all the power; that may be part of the problem, that there needs to be some type of separation of power like our government. There should be some type of players involved in decisions over how much people should be fined or what they should be fined for, as well as coaches, as well as front-office people.”

Harrison, who threatened retirement the day he received his fine, called his meeting with Goodell semi-productive.

“I spoke my mind, they said what they had to say,” Harrison said. “We had a semi-productive meeting, I guess.

“You have to adapt to some things,” Harrison said. “It’s not really that much of a change. The only thing I have a real issue with is trying to adjust to an adjustment that an offensive player has already made. That’s where I have an issue with there being a consequence and repercussions that you no longer can control. If a guy ducks his head at the last minute right as you’re about to hit him, you can’t control that, you can’t adjust to that.”

Harrison’s appeal of his $75,000 fine will be heard by the commissioner next Tuesday.

Series History: 80th regular-season meeting. Steelers lead series, 47-32. The Bengals swept both games last season, the first time they’ve done that since 1998. The Steelers had won eight straight games in Cincinnati before last season’s loss. That streak included the lone playoff game between the teams, in 2005.

NOTES, QUOTES

• Bengals coach Marvin Lewis, who coached Steelers linebackers in the 1990s before moving on to Baltimore and then Cincinnati, compared Steelers rookie center Maurkice Pouncey to Hall of Fame candidate Dermontti Dawson. Lewis both coached with and against Dawson for years in the AFC North/Central.

“I think Pouncey will be a good player,” Lewis said. “I really do. I think he has that athleticism. He is probably slightly bigger than what Dermontti was. You see that in him and you see the upper body strength against the lower body strength and that’s what it takes to being an effective lineman in the NFL.”

• The Steelers have won five straight on Monday night and their 38 wins in that game are second in the AFC only to Miami’s 40. Dallas leads with 42 and San Francisco has 39.

Steelers president Art Rooney urged his coaches to develop their ground game better after a season in which they ranked 19th and could not run in many crucial situations. They have improved slightly, ranking 11th in the league.

• Coach Mike Tomlin said he would make the move again to waive rookie linebacker Thaddeus Gibson, a fourth-round draft choice, in order to add defensive lineman Steve McLendon to the roster from the practice squad. The Steelers were without both starting ends last Sunday because of injuries to Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. San Francisco claimed Gibson.

“Absolutely, I had to,” Tomlin said about the roster move. “This is a young man, whose third time he’s been called upon has played good football. It’s not necessarily about the pure number of snaps that he played. It’s more about his availability. You don’t want to go in short, particularly in a defensive line; it was a definitive necessary maneuver. If I had to, I’d do it again.”

By The Numbers: 12-4 - Steelers record in prime-time regular-season games under coach Mike Tomlin, who is in his fourth season. However, they are 0-2 in their past two night games.

Quote To Note: “If people want to watch soccer then they can watch soccer.”—S Troy Polamalu, criticizing the NFL crackdown on certain defensive hits.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

The Steelers placed rookie LB Thaddeus Gibson on waivers and he was claimed and awarded to San Francisco. The Steelers lost DE Al Woods from their practice squad when Tampa Bay signed him. They added two practice squad players: DE Sunny Harris, who spent most of last season on their roster, and LB Chris Ellis.

Player Notes
    [HIGH-LIGHT]
    • CB Ike Taylor’s second interception leaves him one short of his career high for a season, three, in 2007. He now has 10 in his eight-year career.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• RB Rashard Mendenhall’s six rushing touchdowns puts him on pace to challenge the team record of 14, set by Franco Harris in the 14-game season of 1976.

• DE Brett Keisel returned to practice on Wednesday even though the Steelers have an extra day this week because of their Monday night game. He’s expected to return to play after missing two games with a hamstring injury.

• DE Ziggy Hood will make his second straight start on the left side and, unless something changes drastically, will remain the starter until/if Aaron Smith returns late in the season or for the playoffs.

• QB Ben Roethlisberger’s 68.8 passer rating Sunday night in New Orleans was only the second time he’s been under 70 the past two seasons. He had a 51.5 in a loss last season to Cincinnati.

Game Plan: Stopping Cedric Benson will be a priority for a defense that has allowed just one 100-yard rusher in the past 41 games. Benson, though, was a big reason the Steelers lost in Cincinnati last season when he ran 16 times for 76 yards, including a fourth-quarter TD run of 23 yards. On offense, the Steelers will try to run on the Bengals but could not do so in two games last season.

Matchups To Watch: Steelers CB Ike Taylor vs. Bengals WR Terrell Owens. Taylor is having one of his better seasons and has two interceptions and has shut down good receivers in the past.

Steelers DE Ziggy Hood vs. Bengals RT Andre Smith. Hood makes his second straight start for injured Aaron Smith, who often was the team’s top force against the run.

Steelers WR Hines Ward vs. Bengals LB Keith Rivers. Ward broke Rivers’ jaw with a block in 2008.

Injury Impact: The Steelers should have all of their personnel healthy and ready to go except for DE Aaron Smith, who will be out until at least late in the season with a torn left triceps that underwent surgery.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers Team Report

10 in his 8 yr career

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers Team Report

Quote Originally Posted by rockcr View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    10 in his 8 yr career
    one short of his career high for a season, three

Threads : 52