Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Clark cleared by doctors to play in Denver

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ryan Clark cleared by doctors to play in Denver

I agree, when in doubt sit it out.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree, when in doubt sit it out.
    Plus...if he's out there worried about his health he's unlikely to be productive anyways...not that he should necessarily consider that.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 48

Just playing devil's advocate here,but if the docs cleared him to play,why is there an issue??

Threads : 10

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    How do low oxygen levels cause the vessels to explode? [HIGH-LIGHT]What happens is that the low oxygen levels allow the sickle-cells to clog areas and shut down blood flow etc. [/HIGH-LIGHT]

Medically he was cleared to play...the spleen was the prime target for such an attack and he no longer has one.

Again, I will state that if he has any reservations of going he should stay home entirely.

(Also: as a side note...I would like you all to know that I have posted countless articles about this disease and MY conclusion was that I didn't think he would ever be able to play at high altitudes again...and I wondered if he would be able to play again at all. He obviously can play again and has done really well. Whether he should or shouldn't is his deal now...it seems that medically they are clearing him--this PROBABLY means that they are telling him that there are PRECAUTIONS he needs to take no matter what...which he'd be good to follow whether he plays or watches)

According to an article I read and can no longer find a link for that is exactly why the vessels burst.

Who is to be able to say with certainty that this will not happen in more necesarry organs such as the liver, stomach, intestines, heart or lungs?

The other thing that bugs me is that the doctors who have cleared him to play are the team's doctors.

They are in all fairness, worker's comp primary physicians and as so are not necessarily looking out for the patients' interests.

These same dr.'s caused controversy when this first happened by questioning why Clark was not playing while he healed and trying to deny that it was football related.

By clearing Clark to play they have only made the FO able to dock Clark his pay for the week if he were to decide not to risk it which by any fair and reasonable assessment would agree that he should not take the risk.

As far as a paper written by Harvard, it is worth about the value of the paper it is written on.

There is not enough evidence, data and experience with the particulars to be certain beyond a reasonable doubt that Clark is safe by playing.
    Last edited by BlackJackGold; Nov-01-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: sentence clean up

Threads : 407

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Just playing devil's advocate here,but if the docs cleared him to play,why is there an issue??
    Exactly, what is it that he hasn't heard or is waiting to hear, that he hasn't made a decision. Personally I think the team should sit him, since there is so much doubt, and why waste practice time too...let the person who will play in his place practice.

While he said doctors may have cleared him, they still have not done so to his satisfaction.

"That's understanding the situation enough to know nothing's going to happen to me," Clark explained. "I mean, you can hear certain things, they can put papers in front of you and tests in front of you, but until you're completely comfortable with what you're hearing, it's going to be a tough decision.

"And right now I haven't taken in enough information to make a decision either way."

WTF?
    Last edited by bleedBnG58; Nov-01-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Threads : 26

Do you think that if Clark decides to play that the Steelers will make him sign a form waving Steeler responsibility if he becomes sick?Personally I will be very supprised if Clark is allowed to play no matter what he decides.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

He should just borrow Michael Jackson's hyperbaric chamber. I doubt he's using it much these days...

Threads : 58

I'm not even going to attempt to play doctor here, but even if there is a small chance of this guy losing his life over this he should just stay home. I wouldn't even take the flight if I were him.

A game is not worth it.

Threads : 3263

Tomlin: Decision on Clark will come later
    Monday, November 02, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ryan Clark practiced today with his teammates, but it remains unclear whether he will play for the Steelers in Denver next Monday night.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Coach Mike Tomlin said that determination will be made later in the week.[/HIGH-LIGHT] He and Clark, his starting free safety, met with doctors last Thursday and "he's received medical clearance to play in this football game," Tomlin said.

[HIGH-LIGHT]"So now, the decision lies with he and myself. We're going to weigh all ouroptions and evaluate this thing as we proceed throughout the week."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Clark has sickle cell trait and his blood reacted so poorly in the exertion of playing in the thin Denver air with the Steelers in 2007 that he became almost deathly ill after the game. He wound up having his spleen and gall bladder removed, lost 30 pounds and missed the second half of the 2007 season.

[HIGH-LIGHT]"We understand the elements of what he's dealing with and at some point this week he and I are going to sit down and decide what actions we're going to take," Tomlin said.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes also has sickle cell but he said he will play, and that he's never given it a second thought. He played in Denver in 2007 without any ill effects. [HIGH-LIGHT]Tomlin said Clark has another unnamed medical condtion besides his sickle cell that lead doctors to believe his case is "unique"[/HIGH-LIGHT] and that many other players with sickle cell trait have played in Denver without any negative reaction.

On other injury fronts, linebacker Lawrence Timmons (ankle) and defensive end Travis Kirschke (calf) did not practice. Each left the game Oct. 25 vs. Minnesota with their injuries. Tomlin said he is more optimistic about Timmons' injury than Kirschke's.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Also, Willie Parker was sent home this morning with an illness.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Tomlin will wait to decide if Clark plays
    Monday, November 2, 2009

Coach Mike Tomlin is not ready to make a decision on whether or not safety Ryan Clark will play against the Broncos on Monday night in Denver, even though he has been given medical clearance.

Clark has the sickle cell trait and had when he played in Denver in 2007 his blood reacted poorly to the Denver air, resulting in an illness that resulted in him having his spleen and gall bladder removed and missing the remainder of the season.

Tomlin addressed the issue on Monday, and the following is what he had to say:

Has a decision been made on Ryan Clark playing or not in Denver?
    Tomlin:
    Here is the situation with Ryan. Ryan and myself met with a team of physicians on Thursday. He has received medical clearance to play in this football game, so now the decision lies with he and myself. We are going to weigh all of our options and evaluate this thing as we proceed throughout the week. Itís not a decision that needs to be made now as opposed to later. We understand the elements of what he is dealing with. I am sure at some point this week he and I are going to sit down and decide what actions we are going to take. But he has received medical clearance from the docs and that was step one to even consider the possibility of allowing this man to play. His physical health, his well-being is paramount. We are going to attempt to do what is right. We are going to weigh all of our options and come to a decision here at some point this week. I really havenít put a timetable on it at this point.

Is it possible he could say I want to play and you would say no?
    Tomlin:
    Thatís a possibility. Sure.

From your experience, is it tougher to breath in Denver?
    Tomlin:
    I donít have a problem breathing when I go to Denver.

Have you noticed a difference there?
    Tomlin:
    I canít.

Santonio Holmes also has said he has the sickle cell trait. Do you do anything special in his case?
    Tomlin:
    Itís more than the sickle cell trait. There are a lot of people that play football in Denver with the sickle cell trait. Ryan is a unique case where it is the sickle cell trait and a combination of something else, which I am not educated to speak on. But it is the sickle cell trait in combination with some other pre-existing medical issue that creates it. Santonio is not in any unique risk unless he too shares that same medical situation, which I believe at this point he does not.

What do you need to hear from the doctors to allow Ryan to play and what does he need to hear to say he is willing to play?
    Tomlin:
    I think before we considered anything, we needed to hear just that. ĎOkay, Ryan, you are at no medical risk, or no extra medical risk to participate in this game than anyone else is.í He and I have received that, but we are still going to proceed with extreme caution. Thatís what we are going to do. We are not going to hurry the process. We are going to proceed through our week. He is going to take in information and reps and prepare to play in the football game. His back-ups are going to do the same and at the appropriate time we will sit down and come to a decision.

Do you work other guys in at practice in case he doesnít play?
    Tomlin:
    Ryan is healthy enough to practice so we are going to let him practice. We are going to be prudent as well and give other people some reps. Those guys defensively are interchangeable. They are always prepared to play. We play Deshea (Townsend) at safety. We play Keiwan Ratliff at safety, Ryan Mundy, T.C. (Tyrone Carter). Troy (Polamalu) hasnít practiced a lot here this year so it has provided opportunities for those guys to ready themselves for action. So thatís less of an issue than it could be if Troy practiced a lot this year. Those guys have got an extended amount of reps in terms of preparation to be prepared to play football games. Practice is one thing, game is the other. We wonít answer those things until we play Monday night.

Who will start if Ryan doesnít play?
    Tomlin:
    To be determined. I still havenít determined whether or not Ryanís not going to play.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackJackGold View Post
    According to an article I read and can no longer find a link for that is exactly why the vessels burst.

Who is to be able to say with certainty that this will not happen in more necesarry organs such as the liver, stomach, intestines, heart or lungs?

The other thing that bugs me is that the doctors who have cleared him to play are the team's doctors.

They are in all fairness, worker's comp primary physicians and [HIGH-LIGHT]as so are not necessarily looking out for the patients' interests.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

These same dr.'s caused controversy when this first happened by questioning why Clark was not playing while he healed and trying to deny that it was football related.

By clearing Clark to play they have only made the FO able to dock Clark his pay for the week if he were to decide not to risk it which by any fair and reasonable assessment would agree that he should not take the risk.

[HIGH-LIGHT]As far as a paper written by Harvard, it is worth about the value of the paper it is written on.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

There is not enough evidence, data and experience with the particulars to be certain beyond a reasonable doubt that Clark is safe by playing.
    I think both of the above comments are ridiculous.

Yeah...the doctors that do contract work with the Steelers don't have medical licenses to worry about. They aren't the best of UPMC etc. or anything...they are just some bum doctors off the street. They forgot/didn't read/take the hippocratic oath. Comparing these doctors to doctors who do workers compensation claims is just silly.

And oh yeah Harvard sucks. All the doctors who teach there and come out of there should be blackballed.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Tomlin: Decision on Clark will come later
    Monday, November 02, 2009
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ryan Clark practiced today with his teammates, but it remains unclear whether he will play for the Steelers in Denver next Monday night.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Coach Mike Tomlin said that determination will be made later in the week.[/HIGH-LIGHT] He and Clark, his starting free safety, met with doctors last Thursday and "he's received medical clearance to play in this football game," Tomlin said.

[HIGH-LIGHT]"So now, the decision lies with he and myself. We're going to weigh all ouroptions and evaluate this thing as we proceed throughout the week."[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Clark has sickle cell trait and his blood reacted so poorly in the exertion of playing in the thin Denver air with the Steelers in 2007 that he became almost deathly ill after the game. He wound up having his spleen and gall bladder removed, lost 30 pounds and missed the second half of the 2007 season.

[HIGH-LIGHT]"We understand the elements of what he's dealing with and at some point this week he and I are going to sit down and decide what actions we're going to take," Tomlin said.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Wide receiver Santonio Holmes also has sickle cell but he said he will play, and that he's never given it a second thought. He played in Denver in 2007 without any ill effects. [HIGH-LIGHT]Tomlin said Clark has another unnamed medical condtion besides his sickle cell that lead doctors to believe his case is "unique"[/HIGH-LIGHT] and that many other players with sickle cell trait have played in Denver without any negative reaction.

On other injury fronts, linebacker Lawrence Timmons (ankle) and defensive end Travis Kirschke (calf) did not practice. Each left the game Oct. 25 vs. Minnesota with their injuries. Tomlin said he is more optimistic about Timmons' injury than Kirschke's.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Also, Willie Parker was sent home this morning with an illness.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Sounds about right to me. None of us have looked at his file...and I would say that sickle-cell in general should not/does not cause this type of reaction...especially if the proper guidelines are followed. What underlying condition may be present we obviously do not know.
    Hidden Content

BTW...I just want to point out a couple anatomy facts. First, what two organs did he have removed? Spleen and gallbladder. First, the spleen is the major stop for blood to get destroyed etc. That would be a darn good reason why that failed. It is likely that he already had some spleen issues...although again cant really know for sure. Staying hydrated, oxygenated, as well as taking the required medication can go a LONG way to making sure he'll not only stay alive, but be quite healthy.

Here's a good lay-man's description:

Sickle Cell Disease

What is sickle cell disease?

Sickle cell disease is an inherited blood disorder characterized by defective hemoglobin. It affects millions of people throughout the world and approximately 72,000 people in the US. It is present in one in every 500 African-American births.

Normal hemoglobin cells are smooth and round, allowing for ease in moving through blood vessels. Sickle cell hemoglobin molecules are stiff and form into the shape of a sickle or a scythe. They tend to cluster together, and cannot easily move through blood vessels. The cluster causes a blockage and stops the movement of oxygen-carrying blood.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Sickle cells die after about 10 to 20 days, unlike normal hemoglobin cells, which live for up to 120 days. This results in a chronic short supply of red blood cells, which causes anemia.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

The most common variations of the sickle cell gene include the following:

Sickle cell trait
    The person is carrying the defective gene, HbS, but also has some normal hemoglobin, HbA. This is referred to as HbAS. Persons with sickle cell trait are usually without symptoms of the disease. Mild anemia may occur. Under intense, stressful conditions, exhaustion, hypoxia (low oxygen), and/or severe infection, the sickling of the defective hemoglobin may occur and result in some complications associated with the sickle cell disease.

Sickle cell anemia
    The person has most or all of the normal hemoglobin (HbA) replaced with the sickle hemoglobin (HbS). This is referred to as HbSS. It is the most common and most severe form of the sickle cell variations. These persons suffer from a variety of complications due to the shape and thickness of the sickled cells. Severe and chronic anemia is also a common characteristic for children with HbSS.

Sickle cell - hemoglobin C disease
    The person has both HbS and HbC. This is often referred to as HbSC. Hemoglobin C causes red blood cells, called target cells, to develop. Having just some hemoglobin C and normal hemoglobin, a person will not have any symptoms of anemia. However, if the sickle hemoglobin S is combined with the target cell, some mild to moderate anemia may occur. These persons often suffer some of the complications associated with HbSS, sickle cell disease, but to a milder degree. Vasoocclusive crises (the flow of blood is blocked because the sickled cells have become stuck in the blood vessels), organ damage from repeated sickling and anemia, and high risk for infection are all similar traits for HbSS and HbSC.

Sickle cell - hemoglobin E disease
    This variation is similar to sickle cell-C disease except that an element has been replaced in the hemoglobin molecule. This variation is often also seen in Southeast Asia populations. Some persons with hemoglobin E disease are without symptoms. However, under certain conditions, such as exhaustion, hypoxia, severe infection, and/or iron deficiency, some mild to moderate anemia may occur.

Hemoglobin S-beta-thalassemia
    This involves an inheritance of both the thalassemia and sickle cell genes. The disorder produces symptoms of moderate anemia and many of the same conditions associated with sickle cell disease, to a milder degree.
    All forms of sickle cell disease can exhibit the complications associated with the disease. Persons with HbSS, however, are the most severely affected.

Who is affected by sickle cell disease?

Sickle cell disease primarily affects those of African descent and Hispanics of Caribbean ancestry, but the trait has also been found in those with Middle Eastern, Indian, Latin American, Native American, and Mediterranean heritage.

It has been estimated that over 72,000 people in the US are affected by the disease. Millions worldwide suffer complications from sickle cell disease. It is present in one in every 500 African-American births. Two million African-Americans, or one in 12, have the sickle cell trait.

What causes sickle cell disease?

Sickle cell disease is an inherited disease caused by a genetic mutation. Genes are found on structures in the cells of our body called chromosomes. There are normally 46 total, or 23 pairs, of chromosomes in each cell of our body. The 11th pair of chromosomes contains a gene responsible for normal hemoglobin production.

A mutation or error in this gene is what causes sickle cell disease. This mutation is thought to have originated in areas of the world where malaria was common, since people with sickle trait do not get malaria. The sickle trait actually protects them from the parasite that causes malaria, which is carried by mosquitoes. Malaria is most often seen in Africa and in the Mediterranean area of Europe.

Children who inherit the genetic mutation from both parents will have sickle cell disease. Children who inherit the mutation from only one parent will not have the disease, but will carry the trait for it and can pass it on to their children.

What are the symptoms of sickle cell disease?

The following is a list of symptoms and complications associated with sickle cell disease. However, each individual may experience symptoms differently. Symptoms and complications may include, but are not limited to, the following:

[HIGH-LIGHT]anemia - the most common symptom of all the sickle cell diseases. In sickle cell disease, red blood cells are produced but then become deformed into the sickle shape, which causes red blood cells to lose their oxygen carrying capacity. The body subsequently becomes dehydrated, or with a fever. This sickle shape makes the cells stiff and sticky causing them to become stuck in the vessels, destroyed by the spleen, or simply die because of their abnormal function. The decrease in red blood cells causes anemia. Severe anemia can make a person pale and tired, and makes the person's ability to carry oxygen to the tissues more difficult. Healing and normal growth and development may be delayed because of chronic anemia.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

pain crisis, or sickle crisis - when the flow of blood is blocked to an area because the sickled cells have become stuck in the blood vessel. These are also called "vasoocclusive crises." The pain can occur anywhere, but most often occurs in the chest, arms, and legs. Painful swelling of the fingers and toes, called dactylitis, can occur in infants and children under 3 years of age. Priapism is a painful sickling that occurs in the penis. Any interruption in blood flow to the body can result in pain, swelling, and possible death of the surrounding tissue [HIGH-LIGHT]not receiving adequate blood and oxygen.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

acute chest syndrome - when sickling is in the chest. This can be a life-threatening complication of sickle cell disease. It often occurs suddenly, when the body is under stress from infection, fever, or dehydration. The sickled cells stick together and block the flow of oxygen in the tiny vessels in the lungs. It resembles pneumonia and can include fever, pain, and a violent cough. Multiple episodes of acute chest syndrome can cause permanent lung damage.

[HIGH-LIGHT]splenic sequestration (pooling) - crises are a result of sickle cells pooling in the spleen. This can cause a sudden drop in hemoglobin and can be life threatening if not treated promptly. The spleen can also become enlarged and painful from the increase in blood volume. After repeated episodes of splenic sequestration, the spleen becomes scarred, and permanently damaged. Most children, by the age of 8 years old, do not have a functioning spleen either from surgical removal, or from repeated episodes of splenic sequestration. The risk of infection is a major concern of children without a functioning spleen. Infection is the major cause of death in children under the age of 5 years in this population.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

stroke - another sudden and severe complication of persons with sickle cell disease. The misshapen cells can block the major blood vessels that supply the brain with oxygen. Any interruption in the flow of blood and oxygen to the brain can result in devastating neurological impairment. Having had one stroke, a person is 60 percent more likely to have a second and third stroke.

jaundice, or yellowing of the skin, eyes, and mouth - a common sign and symptom of sickle disease. Sickle cells do not live as long as normal red blood cells and, therefore they are dying more rapidly than the liver can filter them out. Bilirubin (which causes the yellow color) from these broken down cells builds up in the system causing jaundice.
    Any and all major organs are affected by sickle cell disease. The liver, heart, kidneys, gallstone, eyes, bones, and joints can suffer damage from the abnormal function of the sickle cells and their inability to flow through the small blood vessels correctly. Problems may include the following:

increased infections
    leg ulcers
    bone damage
    early gallstones
    kidney damage and loss of body water in the urine
    eye damage
    The symptoms of sickle cell disease may resemble other blood disorders or medical problems. Always consult your physician for a diagnosis.

How is sickle cell disease diagnosed?

In addition to a complete medical history and physical examination, diagnostic procedures for sickle cell disease may include blood tests and other evaluation procedures. Many states provide routine newborn screening blood tests in order to begin proper treatment as soon as possible.

Early diagnosis is essential in providing proper preventative treatment for some of the devastating complications of the disease.

A hemoglobin electrophoresis is a blood test that can determine if a person is a carrier of a specific sickle cell trait, or has any of the diseases associated with the sickle cell gene.

Treatment for sickle cell disease:

Specific treatment for sickle cell disease will be determined by your physician based on:

your age, overall health, and medical history
    extent of the disease
    your tolerance for specific medications, procedures, or therapies
    expectations for the course of the disease
    your opinion or preference
    Early diagnosis and prevention of complications is critical in sickle cell disease treatment. Treatment may include:

pain medications (for sickle cell crises)

drinking plenty of water daily (eight to 10 glasses) or receiving fluid intravenously (to prevent and treat pain crises)

blood transfusions
    For anemia and to prevent stroke, blood transfusions may be used. Transfusions are also used to dilute the HbS with normal hemoglobin to treat chronic pain, acute chest syndrome, splenic sequestration, and other emergencies.

penicillin (to prevent infections)

folic acid (to help prevent severe anemia)

hydroxyurea
    Hydroxyurea is a medication that has recently been developed that may help reduce the frequency of pain crises and acute chest syndrome. It may also help decrease the need for frequent blood transfusions. The long-term effects of the medication, however, are unknown.

bone marrow transplant
    Bone marrow transplant has been effective in curing some persons with sickle cell disease; the decision to undergo this procedure is based on the severity of the disease and ability to find a suitable bone marrow donor. These decisions need to be discussed with your physician.

This page was last updated on: January 30, 2008.
    http://www.umm.edu/blood/sickle.htm
    Last edited by BigBen2112; Nov-02-2009 at 02:23 PM.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 58

Tomlin said Clark has another unnamed medical condtion besides his sickle cell that lead doctors to believe his case is "unique"
    Well, that makes me even more comfortable with the possibility of him playing in Denver.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh View Post
    Well, that makes me even more comfortable with the possibility of him playing in Denver.
    X2...... I thought the same thing when I read it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information