Thread: Tebow sets TD record

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Tebow sets TD record

Remind me again...he's a QB right?!

Tebow's 50th rushing TD sets SEC mark

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Florida quarterback Tim Tebow broke Herschel Walker's Southeastern Conference record for rushing touchdowns Saturday.

Tebow slipped up the middle and ran mostly untouched for a 23-yard score with 1:32 remaining in the first half of Florida's 41-17 victory over Georgia. The 50th rushing TD of his career gave the top-ranked Gators a 24-10 lead.

Tebow dropped the ball briefly, and the field judge picked it up. But Tebow ran back, grabbed it out of his hand and carried it to the sideline.

Tebow broke the mark in his hometown, and maybe more fittingly, against Walker's Bulldogs.

"Breaking Herschel's record means a lot," Tebow said. "Just to be mentioned in the same breath as Herschel Walker, it's extremely humbling and a little bit breathtaking because it's Herschel Walker. How am I going to be in the same league as Herschel Walker? I still can't understand it. It's pretty cool and it's really special."

Walker had 49 rushing TDs in three seasons (1980-82) at Georgia. He had five more in bowl games, but the NCAA and the conference didn't recognize statistics in postseason play until recent years. Walker probably could have put the record out of reach had he decided to return to Athens for his senior season.

Tebow finished with 18 carries for 85 yards and two scores. He completed 15 of 21 passes for 164 yards and two touchdowns, both to Riley Cooper.

Tebow, the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner, had eight rushing TDs as a freshman in 2006, 23 in his Heisman-winning season and found the end zone 12 more times last year. He now has eight this season.

Tebow also finished the first half with 63 yards rushing, breaking the SEC mark for career rushing yards by a quarterback. Former Arkansas star Matt Jones, who played receiver for the Jacksonville Jaguars, previously held the record with 2,535 yards.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=4611764
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Tebow sets TD record

An absolutely astounding qb in the collegiate ranks..... But whether he can convert to the pro level has been a matter of debate.... Some say yes and some say no.... Personally, I think he'll fall into the group of great Florida qbs that didn't get the job done at the next level.... I hope I'm wrong.... Because he has some of the "intangibles" that can not be coached.... But we'll see.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    An absolutely astounding qb in the collegiate ranks..... But whether he can convert to the pro level has been a matter of debate.... Some say yes and some say no.... Personally, I think he'll fall into the group of great Florida qbs that didn't get the job done at the next level.... I hope I'm wrong.... Because he has some of the "intangibles" that can not be coached.... But we'll see.
    I have a kind of hybrid opinion about him. Here's the thing with him...the system he plays in doesn't really utilize the pass well. We do not know, therefore, how good or terrible he could be in a pro-style passing game. Certainly he has more passing flaws than a guy like Bradford or several of the other top QBs. Ben Roethlisberger did too though. Many criticized his arm angle etc. Tebow seems like a smart, passionate, and dedicated leader. That should help him win over coaches, fans, and players alike...which could provide him the time he needs--especially if he's in Jacksonville--to develop into a more traditional pro-style QB. However, he has to have the right guidance. If they attempt to give/allow him the leniency that Mike Vick got...and just say "hey go make plays" then he'll really struggle to be a professional QB. Let him utilize his legs like Ben does...and even let him run if he can pick up some yards or near the goal-line...but be a PASS first QB...he might have success picking it up.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 5

F Tebow.

His throwing mechanics blow. He's a fullback in the pros.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    F Tebow.

His throwing mechanics blow. He's a fullback in the pros.
    A fullback? Umm..........Mike Alstot he is not. He'd have a better chance of being Chris Cooley than a FB.

His mechanics might blow...but he's smart and has a good grasp of the game etc. Other QBs with mechanics as bad as his haven't had his game smarts and leadership abilities. We'll see. I dont think that he'll end up being amazing...but if he gets the right tutelage and support he could turn into an OK QB. I think he'll be rushed, pronounced the savior of some team, wont be taught to be a throw-first QB and will end up not producing so well. But that doesnt HAVE to happen.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 5

Best case scenario is that he turns in to a backup/wildcat QB.

His "leadership" style isn't going to play so well in the pros where all that rah rah BS falls on mostly deaf ears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Best case scenario is that he turns in to a backup/wildcat QB.

His "leadership" style isn't going to play so well in the pros where all that rah rah BS falls on mostly deaf ears.
    He would likely have fit well in Miami with their two RBs and the wildcat they run. He probably could have been the starting QB and done OK there...but I dunno.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 48

**** Tebow.What a cocky little prick he is.He's a gamer,I'll give him that,but I can't stand that bastard.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information