Thread: Spring Training Invitees

Threads : 35

Default Spring Training Invitees

I'm asking the people on this board because you seem to know what's going on. How does Pirates management determine who gets invited to spring training with the big club? Are there MLB rules, or can management pick and choose based on their own criteria? Is there a limit in numbers? Are there rules about minor league service and/or achievement that must be met? I would assume, for instance, that Taillon and Allie will not be invitees, but that Lambo, Owens and Morris might fall into a "lets give them a taste of the big time" group, whether or not they are given a legitimate shot to make the team.

Threads : 197

Default Re: Spring Training Invitees

What you're talking about is non-roster invitees (NRIs). Owens and Morris actually wouldn't fall into that group as they'll both be on the 40 man. I'd expect them to get a few innings early on and performance could push them further along. Jeff Locke will also be on the 40 man, but they may not use him as much as the others. Morris was actually in spring training last year since he was on the 40 man. He only threw a couple innings, but he went on and on about how much he learned following Paul Maholm around during the spring.

There's no requirement in terms of minor league service time. You can invite whoever you want. The Pirates invited Tony Sanchez to camp last year, for example. I'd expect him back again this year, especially since he's a catcher. Lambo's a possibility, they'll probably bring one of two of the infielders, maybe Justin Wilson, then a bunch of random minor league signings, mainly pitchers.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What you're talking about is non-roster invitees (NRIs). Owens and Morris actually wouldn't fall into that group as they'll both be on the 40 man. I'd expect them to get a few innings early on and performance could push them further along. Jeff Locke will also be on the 40 man, but they may not use him as much as the others. Morris was actually in spring training last year since he was on the 40 man. He only threw a couple innings, but he went on and on about how much he learned following Paul Maholm around during the spring.

There's no requirement in terms of minor league service time. You can invite whoever you want. The Pirates invited Tony Sanchez to camp last year, for example. I'd expect him back again this year, especially since he's a catcher. Lambo's a possibility, they'll probably bring one of two of the infielders, maybe [HIGH-LIGHT]Justin Wilson[/HIGH-LIGHT], then a bunch of random minor league signings, mainly pitchers.
    Justin should get an invite, doubt he'll get many innings though. Hopefully he'll have a good start of the year at AAA and could me a mid-season/late-season callup.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 94

Most #1 picks get invited to ML camp their first year especially college kids...it's usually written in their contracts. I don't believe Taillon got an invite this coming year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information