Thread: Steelers Fans Need to Be Patient with Ziggy Hood

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers Fans Need to Be Patient with Ziggy Hood

Steelers Fans Need to Be Patient with Ziggy Hood
    Posted Oct 31, 2009 10:07PM By JJ Cooper
    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/31/s...th-ziggy-hood/

When the Steelers lost defensive end Aaron Smith for the season, it wasn't too much of a shock that the Steelers turned to veteran Travis Kirschke instead of first-round pick Ziggy Hood.

But now that Kirschke is also likely to be sidelined for next Sunday's Broncos game, it looks like the Steelers would turn to Nick Eason next week as the starter instead of Hood. Essentially the Steelers are saying that Eason, who battled Sunny Harris for a spot on the roster during training camp, is a better bet as a starter than the Steelers first-round pick this year.

That would normally be a sign that the first-round pick is on the path to being a big-time bust--first-round picks should be contributors, not the No. 5 defensive end on a team that normally carries five defensive ends.
    But with Dick LeBeau's defense, it's just part of the tradition. Whether it's the complexity of the blitz schemes or the extreme emphasis on every player carrying out their assignment, rookies very rarely find they can contribute on the Steelers defense.

The best example of this steep learning curve is safety Troy Polamalu. As a rookie, Polamalu looked like a bust. He didn't play all that much, and when he did, he seemed to always be the guy being picked on. A year later, he was a key reason the Steelers went 15-1 during the regular season.

It was a similar story with 2007 first-round pick Lawrence Timmons and second-round pick LaMarr Woodley. Both spent most of their rookie seasons on the bench, then both turned into solid contributors in their second year. Chris Hope is now a Pro Bowler with the Titans, but it took him a couple of years to earn a starting job in Pittsburgh. In fact, you'd have to go back to 2001 first-round pick Casey Hampton to find the last time a Steelers defensive rookie has made a significant impact as a starter.

So Steelers fans shouldn't worry too much about Hood's inability to get into the starting lineup. Hood may not be ready to make a big impact this year, but we won't really know what the Steelers got in him until next training camp.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers Fans Need to Be Patient with Ziggy Hood

I think Ziggy is going to be a monster in another season or two. He's shown a lot of potential so far. During one of the interceptions last week, he was blocking people on the return. I also think he gets good pressure, and I think he's not even a worry. Yeah, i'd like to see him in more, and I think he could use some good playing time..

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Ziggy is going to be a monster in another season or two. He's shown a lot of potential so far. During one of the interceptions last week, he was blocking people on the return. I also think he gets good pressure, and I think he's not even a worry. Yeah, i'd like to see him in more, and I think he could use some good playing time..
    I agree,fosl.Also,when you take into consideration the age of our DL,the sooner Ziggy starts to shine,the better.

Threads : 122

Personally I think it is more about 'tradition' or 'making the rookie earn his place on the defense' then it is being about Hood not knowing the system or being able to play DE. Aaron Smith and John Mitchell both said Hood is the best DE to come in as a rookie in Mitchells 16 years as a coach and Smith said he is the best he has seen as a rookie. They said he is very, very smart and has a terrific work ethic. So if you are telling me that Hood doesn't know what he is doing after a full round of mini camps, a training camp, and now 7 games deep in the season...I will tell you that you are full of ****.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Ziggy does appear to be developing. More play time makes for more development. I think he'll turn out to be a keeper.

Threads : 87

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Steelers Fans Need to Be Patient with Ziggy Hood
    Posted Oct 31, 2009 10:07PM By JJ Cooper
    http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/10/31/s...th-ziggy-hood/

When the Steelers lost defensive end Aaron Smith for the season, it wasn't too much of a shock that the Steelers turned to veteran Travis Kirschke instead of first-round pick Ziggy Hood.

But now that Kirschke is also likely to be sidelined for next Sunday's Broncos game, it looks like the Steelers would turn to Nick Eason next week as the starter instead of Hood. Essentially the Steelers are saying that Eason, who battled Sunny Harris for a spot on the roster during training camp, is a better bet as a starter than the Steelers first-round pick this year.

That would normally be a sign that the first-round pick is on the path to being a big-time bust--first-round picks should be contributors, not the No. 5 defensive end on a team that normally carries five defensive ends.
    But with Dick LeBeau's defense, it's just part of the tradition. Whether it's the complexity of the blitz schemes or the extreme emphasis on every player carrying out their assignment, rookies very rarely find they can contribute on the Steelers defense.

The best example of this steep learning curve is safety Troy Polamalu. As a rookie, Polamalu looked like a bust. He didn't play all that much, and when he did, he seemed to always be the guy being picked on. A year later, he was a key reason the Steelers went 15-1 during the regular season.

It was a similar story with 2007 first-round pick [HIGH-LIGHT]Lawrence Timmons [/HIGH-LIGHT]and second-round pick LaMarr Woodley. Both spent most of their rookie seasons on the bench, then both [HIGH-LIGHT]turned into solid contributors in their second year[/HIGH-LIGHT]. Chris Hope is now a Pro Bowler with the Titans, but it took him a couple of years to earn a starting job in Pittsburgh. In fact, you'd have to go back to 2001 first-round pick Casey Hampton to find the last time a Steelers defensive rookie has made a significant impact as a starter.

So Steelers fans shouldn't worry too much about Hood's inability to get into the starting lineup. Hood may not be ready to make a big impact this year, but we won't really know what the Steelers got in him until next training camp.
    WHAT!????

Threads : 137

Yeah, Woodly was making plays during his rookie season.

Timmons was nowhere to be seen, same for Bruce Davis and we see how that worked out for him.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information