Thread: Ten Things I Liked About the Steelers Week 9 Win Over Cincinnati

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ten Things I Liked About the Steelers Week 9 Win Over Cincinnati

Ten Things I Liked About the Steelers Week 9 Win Over Cincinnati

by Michael Bean on Nov 9, 2010 3:56 PM EST
    http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...nati#storyjump

1) I like the way Ben Roethlisberger handled the all-out kamakazi blitzes of the Bengals' defense last night. He got rid of the ball quickly most of the time, audibled out of certain calls at others, and on one occasion, made a really nice read on a third down run by seeing there was nobody in the middle of the Bengals' defense. It can't be overstated just how aggressively the Bengals were blitzing, and compared to how Big Ben and the offense has handled those types of scenarios in the recent past, I was fairly pleased with their preparation and in-game adjustments to counter the relentless pressure.

2) Antwaan Randle El proving he's deserving of a helmet each week. Another first down snag for him on a third down play, followed more notably by his 39-yard perfect spiral touchdown pass to Mike Wallace. I'm quite excited about Emmanuel Sanders and Antonio Brown in future years, but I'm also pleased that the versatile, and veteran ARE is in the mix these next two years.

3) Terrell Owens baby-sitting Chad Ocho Cinco during the third quarter. Ocho Cino, still without a catch, was visibly pouting and having a meltdown, likely thinking about how much more difficult it is for him to continue justifying spending so much time with his extracurricular activities. But anyway, imagine that: T.O. giving someone else a 'grow-up' talk.

4) I like how James Harrison tries to knock out the football every time he makes a play. Jordan Shipley is going to be a very good player in this league, but he couldn't hold onto a 4th down pass in the final minute after Deebo crashed in on him and the ball. Give LaMarr Woodley credit for doing the same thing during one of his two take downs of Carson Palmer.

5) I like the way William Gay is being utilized by Dick LeBeau. He's nowhere near the mental level Deshea Townsend was several years ago, but Gay's ability to handle multiple responsibilities and assignments - including blitzing - is allowing the Steelers to throw additional looks at offenses.

6) I like Hines Ward. And I like the way Jon Gruden gushed about Hines Ward after he threw a big block on the Steelers' final drive that sprung Mendenhall for big yardage.Ward had just three receptions for 10 yards, but one was a beautiful touchdown reception, his 82nd career TD reception. Anyone else notice that when Ward fumbled, Tomlin looked understandably frustrated yet didn't do much more than grin knowing that even the most reliable veterans make costly mistakes from time to time?

7) I like that the Steelers have still not allowed more than 75 rushing yards in any single game this season. It took Cedric Benson 18 carries to get his 55 yards on the evening. More on the defense this week.

8) I like the throw by Ben Roethlisberger to Matt Spaeth with pressure coming at him in all directions. Big Ben flung a laser over the middle to his second tight end, and Spaeth made a superb effort catching the ball in traffic and absorbing the hit without losing the ball.

See 9 & 10 at < http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com...nati#storyjump

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Ten Things I Liked About the Steelers Week 9 Win Over Cincinnati

How dare you try to introduce a positive thread into this forum???
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's one that I liked: Last year, we had third or fourth quarter collapses and lost by narrow margins. This week, it looked a little shaky at the end, but we held in and came away with a W.

Had that been last year, we were possibly on a 3-point loss in OT.

I'll take a W, I'd prefer a blowout, but it's a win nonetheless.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Here's one that I liked: Last year, we had third or fourth quarter collapses and lost by narrow margins. This week, it looked a little shaky at the end, but we held in and came away with a W.

Had that been last year, we were possibly on a 3-point loss in OT.

I'll take a W, I'd prefer a blowout, but it's a win nonetheless.
    Good point, the same could be said for the Tennessee game!

Threads : 1817

Top 5 things I liked about this win because... a win is still a win.

1. We won. We found ways to lose these games last season. We won one this year.

2. Thought that Bruce Arians did a good job for a chance... errr "better" job for a change at timing his play calls. One thing about Arians is that perhaps he has the right plays in his book but his timing on calling them usually sucks. I felt that his timing for the ARE gadget, a couple of screens and some other plays to combat the Bungholes selling out on blitzes all night long were solid.

3. Despite losing our Center, Kemo, Starks and facing the possibility of having Mat Spaeth play on the line, the line held it's own. It wasn't pretty and sure protection broke down on some blitzes as would be expected but we got a scoring drive out of that band-aid.

4. Even though the 4th Quarter collapse was on, I felt that this was the first game since the Titans game where we had consistent pressure on the QB. I saw some blitz packages not used often this year and I saw us overloading on sides which is something we haven't done a ton of this year.

5. Defensively we never went into Prevent mode. I commented about this in the GDT before and after the beer This was the most aggressive defenisve game plan of 60 minutes I've seen of us. Woulda been nice if Bmac could defend a pass and we weren't instruction DB's to play so far off in zone coverage

I'm not sure I can really engage much in the negative threads right now. I'm happy for the win. I'm happy to be at 6-2. I know that we have some issues but watching so much football and all of these other teams, I see a lot of teams with holes, I just believe we can overcome ours since I think they are more scheme related than personnel related which is what I see as issues with other teams and their holes
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I'm not sure I can really engage much in the negative threads right now. I'm happy for the win. I'm happy to be at 6-2. I know that we have some issues but watching so much football and all of these other teams, I see a lot of teams with holes, I just believe we can overcome ours since I think they are more scheme related than personnel related which is what I see as issues with other teams and their holes
    Well said! I'm happy to be sitting pretty half way through the season...****, I'm just happy it's football season!!! I tend to have fun this time of year and not miserably knitpick the deficiancies of my team!

You are absolutely right, the few holes that we have on our team are nothing compared to that of most teams in the league. The good news is that we seem to have less holes than just about every team, there are no "world beaters" out there...and if there are, we are one of them!!!

Threads : 49

I actually disagree with the first two on that list. Ben had an OK game but I didn't really see him handling the blitz THAT great. He did a better job than last week but here were still plays where he held onto to the ball too long. But part of that is coaching and play design. When every WR is running a long-developing pattern sometimes you gotta hold onto it longer.

Randel El had one catch the whole game and had a TD pass where he basically threw the ball up for grabs. There were about 3 Bengals back in coverage on that play. If Wallace doesn't make a great catch, it's either an INT or incompletion. ARE should be worked into the #4 WR spot ASAP, IMO. Give Sanders a legitimate shot at #3.

To inject some positivity, I thought the O-line played better as the game went on and opened up some nice holes for Mendy. The pass protection also impoved (too bad the playcalling didn't!).

I loved that Lebeau played aggressive with the secondary. If he keeps calling the defense like that, I really think the secondary will get better with this style of play.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    How dare you try to introduce a positive thread into this forum???

Threads : 1

I'll add mine...

1) We were able to run the ball with 8 in the box and be successful late in the game. If Legs gets a finger on the cornerback instead of whiffing the game is over.

2) Mike Wallace needs to be the #1 option in the passing game. Time and age have taken their toll on Hines. Wallace could be special.

3) Starting next year Maurkice Pouncey will be the pro-bowl center for 10 consecutive years barring injury.

4) Our secondary are all good tacklers and Ike is a good cover corner plus he's a good tackler.

5) The special teams are special again. I know Reed is kicking off short (that sucks), but the coverage units are doing a good job.

Papillon

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information