Thread: With Geno and Gonch Out

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default With Geno and Gonch Out

I started thinking about this after the loss last night.

Watching the Wild game, the Pens dominated play. they controlled possession, worked the forecheck well, created turnovers, piled on a good number of shots and were in the offensive zone for most of the night. Dan Bylsma's system practically dictates this type of play no matter who is on the ice.

However I realized last night that while Bylsma's system and style dictates this type of outcome, we are missing guys that can set up and score goals, in Geno, we're missing a guy that's been our top goal scorer the past season + . That's a lot of offensive firepower. It 's one thing to cycle on the forecheck and possess the puck and fire shots from the point, it's another thing to do those things AND have a goal scorer on the ice and 2 guys that can move the puck and set up goals better than most on the team.

So while SOG numbers and everything else showed that we dominated the game, that we had 1 goal also shows that just dominating a game doesn't mean much in terms of possession and SOG when you are missing big key components offensively.

With guys like this missing and having to force Jordan Staal into a production role as 2nd Line center, guys like Fleury really need to step up their game. There could be a lot of times where we have games like the Minnesota game and aren't scoring because we're missing guys that can and do score, in which case we have to be sharp in our own end and on the PK. Mentally be ready for close scoring games regardless of how play on the ice unfolds.

It sucks that we have a Power Play that's inconsistent and unreliable because it could be a big tool in times like this, but the Power Play is also missing Gonchar and Malkin as well and that doesn't exactly help and neither does Mike Yeo giving instruction.

Just some thought. We had chances in the game last night and Niklas Backstrom had a **** good game but outside of Sid, we really don't have a lot of goal scorers, producers on the ice. I saw Staal's line cycle well last night but the chances were far and few, the 3rd and 4th lines look like 4th lines so we're relying on sid's line. We were able to do this when Sid was out and Malkin took the reigns but it's tough to always rely on something like that and it's tough to always have to comeback from a deficit in the 3rd period as well

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: With Geno and Gonch Out

I think that is pretty obvious. You can't have that many of your top players out and not miss them but I think they did everything they could do to win the game, it just didn't happen. Play that game over again and I think it would go the other way. I can live with that loss.

These times I think are great for the team in the long run. It puts a lot more pressure on players that you don't normally rely on. If Staal, Kunitz or whoever can take their game up a notch then the team is going to be all that more deadly when you start adding players back into the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think that is pretty obvious. You can't have that many of your top players out and not miss them but I think they did everything they could do to win the game, it just didn't happen. Play that game over again and I think it would go the other way. I can live with that loss.

These times I think are great for the team in the long run. It puts a lot more pressure on players that you don't normally rely on. If Staal, Kunitz or whoever can take their game up a notch then the team is going to be all that more deadly when you start adding players back into the mix.
    I guess my overall point is, just killing the opposition on SOG or dominating the game overall doesn't always result in a W or goals. The system allows for domination but goals generally come from the goal scorers or others stepping up. We're missing some goal scorers or guys that can put others into a position to net a goal or more so simply just dominating a game or killing a team in SOG really isn't enough.

Which leads to what you said, Beezy. You need guys like Staal and Kunitz to step up and Letang for that matter in the goal department, to score. sure they both have their games but at times like this, it's time to shoulder some of that responsibility that's been left by injuries and bury some goals. You can outshoot a team by 30 shots but it doesn't mean much if they are low quality chances. You can control the puck in the other teams zone all game but if you're kept to the perimeter and not getting great scoring chances you're not going to score. So yeah, we need others to step it up. Need guys like Staal and Kunitz and Fedotenko and Bourque and Letang to score. We need Fleury to be a wall

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I guess my overall point is, just killing the opposition on SOG or dominating the game overall doesn't always result in a W or goals. The system allows for domination but goals generally come from the goal scorers or others stepping up. We're missing some goal scorers or guys that can put others into a position to net a goal or more so simply just dominating a game or killing a team in SOG really isn't enough.

Which leads to what you said, Beezy. You need guys like Staal and Kunitz to step up and Letang for that matter in the goal department, to score. sure they both have their games but at times like this, it's time to shoulder some of that responsibility that's been left by injuries and bury some goals. You can outshoot a team by 30 shots but it doesn't mean much if they are low quality chances. You can control the puck in the other teams zone all game but if you're kept to the perimeter and not getting great scoring chances you're not going to score. So yeah, we need others to step it up. Need guys like Staal and Kunitz and Fedotenko and Bourque and Letang to score. We need Fleury to be a wall
    What else can you do tho? You keep the puck in the offensive zone and limit their chances that is step one, they did that. They had 2 goals on 4 shots, you can't have that. MAF should have had at least one of those pucks if not both. I am not going to put it on him tho. It is one thing if the GT lets in 4+ goals but if it is only two **** it, the Pens gotta score at least 2.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Not only is Backstrom tough, but the Wild defense is sound. Zanon is a beast, their PK is #1 in the league (I believe) and they aren't afraid to block shots. The Pens have a lot of guys playing with new linemates. It may take a few games and practices to gel. Back to back games are always difficult, especially when you don't get home until 3:00 AM do to airplane problems. I guess, I'm more disappointed with the "Home" losses this year. 11-3 and all three losses at home! What's up with that???

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    Not only is Backstrom tough, but the Wild defense is sound. Zanon is a beast, their PK is #1 in the league (I believe) and they aren't afraid to block shots. The Pens have a lot of guys playing with new linemates. It may take a few games and practices to gel. Back to back games are always difficult, especially when you don't get home until 3:00 AM do to airplane problems. I guess, I'm more disappointed with the "Home" losses this year. 11-3 and all three losses at home! What's up with that???
    That's a good point about the back to back games, not to mention that they went to shoot out the night before so they were more mentally fatigued than normal.

Yeah, not sure what's up with the home loses. I mean, it's good that they are winning on the road, don't get me wrong.. but like you I am surprised to see the loses at home

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    What else can you do tho? You keep the puck in the offensive zone and limit their chances that is step one, they did that. They had 2 goals on 4 shots, you can't have that. MAF should have had at least one of those pucks if not both. I am not going to put it on him tho. It is one thing if the GT lets in 4+ goals but if it is only two **** it, the Pens gotta score at least 2.
    Yeah, it's tough to pin it on Fleury, tough to not pin it on him. The Pens gave him a fairly easy night where he didn't have to make many saves, so on one hand you can say "you should've made those", on the other hand, we scored 1 goal and 1 goal simply isn't going to cut it in most any game since shut outs aren't easy to accomplish.

I'm not suggesting that the Pens are playing badly or wrong. Not at all. I thought they played really well against the Wild, it's just going to be one of those things that while we're missing guys like Geno and Malkin, dominating the ice and SOG is something that'll look good on the stat sheet but other sources are going to have to chip in because we've lost guys thast can take that dominating and turn them into goals or help turn them into goals in Gonch's case

ODB-Alexie

Wow, do I even want to find the time to watch a game? Looks to me like this road is a tad bumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by ODB-Alexie View Post
    Wow, do I even want to find the time to watch a game? Looks to me like this road is a tad bumpy.
    Honestly? I'd wait until we get one of the following wounded back - Malkin, Gonchar, Talbot, Kennedy, Letang, perhaps Orpik now.

Until then, these games have TOUGH to watch but they were ****ing awesome when we had a healthy lineup and were tearing up the league

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information