Thread: Interesting possible non-tender candidates

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Interesting possible non-tender candidates

Here are some interesting possible (as discussed via the rumor mill) non-tender candidates:

-Edwin Encarnacion, 3B, Toronto. I have no clue why they would want to non-tender Encarnacion as you would suspect they could get at least marginal return via trade.

-Kevin Kouzmanoff, 3B, Oakland. Not a guaranteed fix of anything, but he's not "over the hill" and he would come relatively cheap.

-Jack Cust, OF, Oakland. Again, not a guaranteed fix and may not even be able to add anything defensively to the outfield, but he's got some power left and has traditionally carried at least a sufficient OPS.

-Jeff Francoeur, OF, Texas. Yes, Jeff Francoeur sucks...he's only 26 though!

-Casey Kotchman, 1B, Seattle. Struggled.

-James Loney, 1B, Los Angeles. I would take a flier on James Loney.

-JJ Hard, SS, Twins. I dont know....

-Manny Delcarmen, RP, Colorado. I would take Delcarmen in our pen.

-John Maine, SP, Mets. I wonder if he has any chance of coming back from injury...it'd be worth a look if so.

-Andrew Miller, SP, Marlins. Left Handed Charlie Morton anyone?

-Chris Ray, RP, San Francisco. I would take Ray in our pen.

-Brandon McCarthy, SP, Texas. Already let go...can he ever stay healthy?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Default Re: Interesting possible non-tender candidates

If all of the above were non-tendered (and I dont think they will be). I would put offers out to: Loney, Cust, Kouzmanoff, Delcarmen, and Ray. Hopefully get one of the relievers and one of the position players.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 27

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If all of the above were non-tendered (and I dont think they will be). I would put offers out to: Loney, Cust, Kouzmanoff, Delcarmen, and Ray. Hopefully get one of the relievers and one of the position players.
    I agree with all of your selections except for Cust.
    Jeff Francouer has always intrigued me. Hard to believe he is only 26. Do you think he'd be a viable RF platoon with Garret Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by ShayP View Post
    I agree with all of your selections except for Cust.
    Jeff Francouer has always intrigued me. Hard to believe he is only 26. Do you think he'd be a viable RF platoon with Garret Jones?
    Francoeur just baffles me. He's like Lastings Milledge. Loads of talent but no production. Its weird.

What's wrong with Jack Cust? The bat is still there...I think we could do worse than a career .830 OPS. But he may not be able to handle the OF duties and he may not be able to play everyday, you're right.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 197

I would definitely target JJ Hardy if he were non-tendered. I don't see it happening, though. Basically gives you a league average bat and an above average glove. Even if he sees a slight dropoff from last year he might be the best all around SS in the NL Central.

Edwin Encarnacion ended up getting placed on waivers and claimed by the A's. I would assume that means they plan to tender him a contract. Should be somewhere near $6 million through arbitration.

Another one to likely cross off: Andrew Miller. He was traded from the Marlins to the Red Sox today for Dustin Richardson, a soon to be 27 year old LOOGY type with serious control problems. Miller also has ridiculous control issues, but is just a few years removed from being one of the best pitching prospects in the league and one of the key parts of the Miguel Cabrera trade.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    Another one to likely cross off: Andrew Miller. He was traded from the Marlins to the Red Sox today for Dustin Richardson, a soon to be 27 year old LOOGY type with serious control problems. Miller also has ridiculous control issues, but is just a few years removed from being one of the best pitching prospects in the league and one of the key parts of the Miguel Cabrera trade.
    The kid is still only 25 too.
    Hidden Content

The Tigers messed up pretty badly with Miller. Coming out of the draft they saw him as the best player in the entire class and were convinced he was MLB ready from day one. The only reason he fell to them was that no one else was willing to pay him. They gave him a major league contract and a September callup his first year. about half a season in the minors his next year and had been in the majors pretty much ever since until this season. He still hasn't really had a good full season in his entire career. He probably could have used a couple seasons to develop.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Tigers messed up pretty badly with Miller. Coming out of the draft they saw him as the best player in the entire class and were convinced he was MLB ready from day one. The only reason he fell to them was that no one else was willing to pay him. They gave him a major league contract and a September callup his first year. about half a season in the minors his next year and had been in the majors pretty much ever since until this season. He still hasn't really had a good full season in his entire career. He probably could have used a couple seasons to develop.
    You see it all too often! I think the White Sox have done the same thing with Beckham. Instead of giving him plenty of time to develop in the minors, he was rushed up here and now the normal struggles a young player faces along the way is magnified 10 fold.

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Kouzmanoff and Francoeur are my choices.

Quote Originally Posted by indybucfan View Post
    You see it all too often! I think the White Sox have done the same thing with Beckham. Instead of giving him plenty of time to develop in the minors, he was rushed up here and now the normal struggles a young player faces along the way is magnified 10 fold.
    Yeah, I definitely agree with both of you. I think both players were rushed and their progress negatively impacted.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Yeah, I definitely agree with both of you. I think both players were rushed and their progress negatively impacted.
    Also tells me that as much as our impatience may get the best of our judgements, we should probably be content with waiting for the Taillons and Allies in our system to put in their time until they are actually ready.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Completely off topic here, but now the Marlins traded Cameron Maybin to the Padres for a couple relievers. That Miguel Cabrera trade didn't turn out nearly as well as people expected. That was about as highly regarded a group of two young players as you'll ever see packaged.

Threads : 45
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Completely off topic here, but now the Marlins traded Cameron Maybin to the Padres for a couple relievers. That Miguel Cabrera trade didn't turn out nearly as well as people expected. That was about as highly regarded a group of two young players as you'll ever see packaged.
    I was thinking the same thing when they traded those two guys a day apart. They got other guys in that deal, but they were the key.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information