Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: These AP polls are for the birds..

      
  1. #1
    foslrock's Avatar
    Status : foslrock is offline
    Rank : 1st Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 18, 2009
    Location : Tennessee
    Posts : 1,784
    Threads : 140
    Last Online : Jun-15-2015 @ 07:24 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default These AP polls are for the birds..

    Seriously... Iowa ranked behind Cincy, BSu, and TCU? COME ON! Yeah, they seem to play only in the 3rd and 4th, but they have beaten quite a few good teams. BSu did beat Oregon, so i'll give them that, but they've played a JV schedule since. Cincy - well, who did they beat of worth? No 21 South Florida was their best win.. TCU beat BYU? WOW.

    Iowa on the other hand beat Penn State and Wisconsin in their own stadiums. Much much harder wins, in my opinion.

    PLAYOFF PLEASE! Make these stupid polls be nothing more than NFL power rankings with no real merit, but just for kicks for these lame no-life sports writers.

  2. #2
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Man, I agree with you as to the playoff issue...

    ... But Iowa just flat-out sucks (as does Wisconsin) and Stanzi is a joke (if you didn't watch the game yesterday, please reference the 3rd qtr... They got lucky that Indiana collapsed yet again).... I'm sorry, but they beat PSU on a fluke apparently because they cannot put together a complete game.... UC has beaten everyone put in front of them soundly, and the same goes for TCU. They can only play/beat those in front of them on the schedule that is given to them. But the next month will tell the tale for them... There are alot of good games out there, and just because they are not "marquee games" doesn't mean that it's not quality competition... Garanted, sometimes this is the case, but not always.

    "Big name" teams shouldn't get a free pass based on their name... Some of them are really changing personalities... I think the BCS is complete horse****, but to say that some of these "lesser" known programs are not deserving is not something I agree with. The team from your own state is a good example.... Iowa sucks. USC sucks this year... It goes both ways.... But I will tell you that UC is a serious opponent for anyone out there.

    Last year it was "no names" like Texas Tech and Oklahoma St making noise... This year it's UC and TCU.

    I venture to guess that we could poll 10 folks and get 10 different answers as to opinions on this. That's the great thing about college ball... But you are correct that it would be better with a playoff system IMO..... Unfortunately, we are both beating our heads against the wall on this.
    Last edited by Palmetto Steel; Nov-01-2009 at 06:43 PM.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  3. #3
    sjdrewk
    sjdrewk's Avatar
    Status :
    Rank : Guest

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Texas edges Alabama in BCS standings
    By RALPH D. RUSSO, AP College Football Writer
    46 minutes ago
    Buzz up!
    Print
    NEW YORK (AP)—Texas took a small step forward in the Bowl Championship Series standings Sunday, and the remaining unbeaten teams held down the first seven spots.

    The Longhorns (.9227) jumped from third to second place, ahead of Alabama (.9166) and behind Florida (.9918). It’s a cosmetic move. Texas was already in control of its destiny in the BCS championship race.

    The Crimson Tide and Gators, if they both remain undefeated, will have to play each other in the Southeastern Conference title game.

    Behind the top three were Iowa (.8407), Cincinnati (.8033), TCU (.8008) and Boise State (.7863), all unbeaten and hoping for the Gators, Crimson Tide or Longhorns to slip up.

    Alabama faces a stiff test Saturday when LSU travels to Tuscaloosa.

    The Horned Frogs hold a slim lead over the Broncos in the race to be this season’s BCS buster. Both teams had lopsided victories on Saturday.

    Oregon moved up two spots from 10th to eighth place after a 47-20 victory against Southern California.

    USC dropped seven spots to 12th place.

    Notre Dame, which needs nine victories and a top-14 finish in the BCS standings to be eligible for an at-large bid, is 22nd.

    Florida holds the top spot and is ranked first in both polls used by the BCS — the Harris and coaches’ polls. The Gators are also tops among the compilation of six computer ratings used by the BCS.

    Texas is No. 2 in both polls and tied with Alabama for third in the computer ratings. The Crimson Tide is third in both polls.

    Iowa is second in the computers, though only seventh in the Harris poll and sixth in the coaches’ poll.

  • #4
    beerman's Avatar
    Status : beerman is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : at the nudie bar.
    Posts : 1,241
    Threads : 102
    Last Online : Jan-31-2015 @ 07:44 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    BCS Standings:

    1 Florida 8-0
    2 Texas 8-0
    3 Alabama 8-0
    4 Iowa 9-0
    5 Cincinnati 8-0
    6 TCU 8-0
    7 Boise State 8-0
    8 Oregon 7-1
    9 LSU 7-1
    10 Georgia Tech 8-1
    11 Penn State 8-1
    12 USC 6-2
    13 Pittsburgh 7-1
    14 Utah 7-1
    15 Houston 7-1
    16 Ohio State 7-2
    17 Miami (FL) 6-2
    18 Arizona 5-2
    19 Oklahoma State 6-2
    20 California 6-2
    21 Wisconsin 6-2
    22 Notre Dame 6-2
    23 Virginia Tech 5-3
    24 Oklahoma 5-3
    25 South Florida


    AP POLL:

    1 Florida (38) 8-0
    2 Texas (13) 8-0
    3 Alabama (8) 8-0
    4 Cincinnati 8-0
    5 Boise State 8-0
    6 TCU 8-0
    7 Oregon 7-1
    8 Iowa 9-0
    9 LSU 7-1
    10 Georgia Tech 8-1
    11 Penn State 8-1
    12 USC 6-2
    13 Houston 7-1
    14 Pittsburgh 7-1
    15 Ohio State 7-2
    16 Miami (FL) 6-2
    17 Utah 7-1
    18 Oklahoma State 6-2
    19 Notre Dame 6-2
    20 Oklahoma 5-3
    21 Arizona 5-2
    22 Virginia Tech 5-3
    23 California 6-2
    24 Wisconsin 6-2
    25 Brigham Young 6-2

  • #5
    beerman's Avatar
    Status : beerman is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : at the nudie bar.
    Posts : 1,241
    Threads : 102
    Last Online : Jan-31-2015 @ 07:44 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    I would have laughed in your face if you would have told me Pitt would be ahead of OSU at any point this season, let alone for week 10.

  • #6
    sjdrewk
    sjdrewk's Avatar
    Status :
    Rank : Guest

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I would have laughed in your face if you would have told me Pitt would be ahead of OSU at any point this season, let alone for week 10.
    .......I would have laughed if you said Pitt was in the top 15 and has a chance to be in a bowl other than the Meineke Car care bowl this year.

  • #7
    beerman's Avatar
    Status : beerman is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : at the nudie bar.
    Posts : 1,241
    Threads : 102
    Last Online : Jan-31-2015 @ 07:44 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    .......I would have laughed if you said Pitt was in the top 15 and has a chance to be in a bowl other than the Meineke Car care bowl this year.



    True that.

    Before the season started I was thinking more the Lifestyles Lube Bowl.


  • #8
    sjdrewk
    sjdrewk's Avatar
    Status :
    Rank : Guest

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    True that.

    Before the season started I was thinking more the Lifestyles Lube Bowl.

    Shoot, I wasn't even thinking that high of a bowl. loll

    I am really excited that Pitt has a chance to go beyond that if they beat Cincinnati. We can dare to dream. Go PITT!

  • #9
    beerman's Avatar
    Status : beerman is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : at the nudie bar.
    Posts : 1,241
    Threads : 102
    Last Online : Jan-31-2015 @ 07:44 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shoot, I wasn't even thinking that high of a bowl. loll

    I am really excited that Pitt has a chance to go beyond that if they beat Cincinnati. We can dare to dream. Go PITT!

    You said it buddy.

  • #10
    sjdrewk
    sjdrewk's Avatar
    Status :
    Rank : Guest

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You said it buddy.
    Syracuse, Notre Dame, West Virginia and then Cincinnati. Tough remaining games but imo they have a chance to win every game....some more than others though. But why not?
  • Reply With Quote Reply With Quote   ...to the topTop

  • #11
    beerman's Avatar
    Status : beerman is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : at the nudie bar.
    Posts : 1,241
    Threads : 102
    Last Online : Jan-31-2015 @ 07:44 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Quote Originally Posted by sjdrewk View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Syracuse, Notre Dame, West Virginia and then Cincinnati. Tough remaining games but imo they have a chance to win every game....some more than others though. But why not?

    I can see them taking out Syracuse and Notre Dame. I still don´t think Notre Dame is that good.
    Cincy is going to be an epic battle. Really looking forward to that one. Could go either way.
    West Virginia? Who the hell knows. On paper Pitt should win it, but we´ve seen some crazy *** things happen when those two teams meet up.
    However you look at it, the rest of the way is going to be fun to watch!

  • #12
    Palmetto Steel's Avatar
    Status : Palmetto Steel is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 9, 2009
    Posts : 23,379
    Threads : 3263
    Last Online : Nov-30-2015 @ 06:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Stats mean nothing when the Backyard Brawl kicks in.... What was it?... 2 years ago when WVU was in the running for the title and lowly Pitt beat them?....

    ... Yea, Dec 5th will be the game for all the marbles.....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

  • #13
    beerman's Avatar
    Status : beerman is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : at the nudie bar.
    Posts : 1,241
    Threads : 102
    Last Online : Jan-31-2015 @ 07:44 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Stats mean nothing when the Backyard Brawl kicks in.... What was it?... 2 years ago when WVU was in the running for the title and lowly Pitt beat them?....

    ... Yea, Dec 5th will be the game for all the marbles.....

    Yep!

    13-9 was the final score I believe. Basically ruined their season.

  • #14
    Shannon's Avatar
    Status : Shannon is offline
    Rank : Minor Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 12, 2009
    Location : South Lebanon, Ohio
    Posts : 543
    Threads : 67
    Last Online : Aug-08-2012 @ 12:37 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Seriously... Iowa ranked behind Cincy, BSu, and TCU? COME ON! Yeah, they seem to play only in the 3rd and 4th, but they have beaten quite a few good teams. BSu did beat Oregon, so i'll give them that, but they've played a JV schedule since. Cincy - well, who did they beat of worth? No 21 South Florida was their best win.. TCU beat BYU? WOW.

    Iowa on the other hand beat Penn State and Wisconsin in their own stadiums. Much much harder wins, in my opinion.

    PLAYOFF PLEASE! Make these stupid polls be nothing more than NFL power rankings with no real merit, but just for kicks for these lame no-life sports writers.
    Well then explain this to me. How did Iowa BARELY beat their opponent last week and Cincy KILLED Louisville yet Iowa moved up and Cincy went from number 5 to number 8?!? How the hell does that work?

    You say that Cincy hasn't beaten anyone of any importance but it's not them who makes their schedules. They play who is put in front of them. Not only do they play them but they win convincingly. No last minute combacks just solid Cincy football through the whole game.
    "He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

  • #15
    sjdrewk
    sjdrewk's Avatar
    Status :
    Rank : Guest

    Default Re: These AP polls are for the birds..

    Quote Originally Posted by beerman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I can see them taking out Syracuse and Notre Dame. I still don´t think Notre Dame is that good.
    Cincy is going to be an epic battle. Really looking forward to that one. Could go either way.
    West Virginia? Who the hell knows. On paper Pitt should win it, but we´ve seen some crazy *** things happen when those two teams meet up.
    However you look at it, the rest of the way is going to be fun to watch!
    That's going to be so crazy. That is going to be a neighborhood brawl.

  • Quick Reply Quick Reply

    Thread Information

    Users Browsing this Thread

    There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Members who have read this thread: 0

    There are no members to list at the moment.

    Tags for this Thread

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •