Thread: Steelers Report Card

Threads : 413

Default Steelers Report Card

Steelers Report Card: Game nine vs. Patriots
    Monday, November 15, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

QUARTERBACKS D+

Failed red-zone opportunities and a pick-six for touchdown framed this performance by Ben Roethlisberger, even though he threw three touchdowns in the fourth quarter -- two to Mike Wallace. He finished with 387 yards passing, but he was completely befuddled in the first half, completing just 7 of 20 passes for 90 yards, though he had dropped passes in the end zone on back-to-back plays.

I'm not sure what's with Ben. Maybe it's the susoension, maybe it's the accumulation of all the off-field stuff he's had over the last few years. He still has flashes but for the most part he is not throwing the ball very well and not seeing open receivers.

RUNNING BACKS C-

The Steelers got behind early and pretty much abandoned the run after that. Rashard Mendenhall carried just seven times for 43 yards in the first half and finished with 50 yards on 11 carries. His 34-yard run, his eighth of 20-plus yards this season, was the big play in the drive that resulted in a field goal. Mewelde Moore had a 29-yard catch-and-run and a pair of 2-point conversion runs.

Mendy is fine, but we could have Walter Payton and his back-up could be Barry Sanders and our running game would be no better.

WIDE RECEIVERS C-

Wallace and Antwaan Randle El took turns dropping passes in the end zone on back-to-back plays, forcing the Steelers to settle for a field goal in the second quarter. And Randle El had a pass deflect off his hands that was returned for a touchdown by S James Sanders. Wallace had TD catches of 15 and 33 yards and Emmanuel Sanders had his first NFL touchdown, but it was too late to matter.

I'm beginning to think we really should not have gotten rid of Santonio. These receivers, (Sanders is the worst) run some of the poorest patterns I've seen on this team in a long time. Maybe it's the TV coverage, but I lost count how many times a ball is thrown to one receiver and another is so close they could hold hands.

OFFENSIVE LINE D-

Playing without LT Max Starks and G Chris Kemoeatu, the offensive line was part of the meltdown. LT Jonathan Scott, starting for Starks, had trouble in protection, one of the reasons Roethlisberger was sacked five times for 38 yards. It's hard to blame the lack of a ground game on the line because the Steelers got behind early. But there was never any cohesion or adjustment to the Patriots stunts.

Injuries, Smingeries. Even Chris Collinsworth commented I don't know how many times about the "slow-footed" offensive line we have.

DEFENSIVE LINE D

Even the D-line failed to show up for this one, even if they were without DEs Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel. The Patriots rushed just six times for 14 yards in the first half after RB BenJarvus Green-Ellis gained 17 yards on their first rushing attempt -- the longest run of the season against the Steelers. But he finished with 84 yards on 17 carries -- the most by an opposing back this season.

Not sure why they get a D for a relatively low rushing amount because it had little effect on the game itself, but surely they get the grade for lack of pressure on Brady.

LINEBACKERS D

It didn't matter what the Steelers tried, whether dropping into coverage or trying to pressure Tom Brady -- it didn't work. The Steelers didn't register a sack for the first time this season and rarely hurried Brady. James Harrison started, despite suffering back spasms a day earlier, and played as though he was hampered. Worse, they played most of the game without Lawrence Timmons (hip).

WTF is going on with our LB play? Lawrence Timmons in pass coverage on Wesley Walker? You've got to be kidding me.

DEFENSIVE BACKS F

They never had an answer for Tom Brady, who was 15 of 17 for 161 yards with two TDs on the first three scoring drives. Nickel back William Gay was helpless on a nice 19-yard touchdown catch by TE Rob Gronkowski on the first scoring drive, but was easily beat for his 25-yard TD catch. Brady completed 17 of 25 passes for 180 yards before halftime and finished with 350 yards and three TDs -- all to Gronkowski.

Only an F? Thought they were worse than that. I'm really getting sick of this playing 10 yds off a receiver and playing containment, not coverage. Look it's not rocket science. You have 2 WRs. They get covered by 2 DBs. Tight end gets covered by a safety. LB watches a RB in a pass route. The other safety helps out. That's where coverage STARTS. Want to mix things up? Then run some variations on that but ****it, COVER SOMEBODY.

SPECIAL TEAMS C-

Jeff Reed missed another field goal, this time from 26 yards -- his fifth at Heinz Field this season. The coverage units didn't commit any major gaffes, especially against KR Brandon Tate, who already had two TD returns in 2010. But there was the obligatory flashback to the 2001 AFC title game when the Steelers had a penalty against a player (Keenan Lewis) for coming back in the field of play on a punt.

Reed is done. Thanks for the memories. Can ARE do anything but fair catch? Other than that special teams have actually played fairly well.

COACHING F

It has been a long time since the Steeleres were dominated like this. The defense never was able to figure out Brady, who pretty much did whatever he wanted, and never made any adjustments. And all the offense could manage was too many checkdown passes to the running backs. A complete malfunction all the way around against a Patriots team that had them out-schemed and out-executed.

Need I say more. We seem incapable of adjusting during a game. We keep running our gameplan, hoping it eventually works. Arians is pitiful but that's DL keeps getting let off the hook, but it's his turn to do something different. His defensive schemes don't seem to be fooling anyone anymore. Perhaps the other coaches have seen so much of it they've got it figured out. I'm beginning to wonder what a head coach actually does besides news conferences.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10319...#ixzz15MEqaWvH
    Yes we're 6-3 (did anyone notice that we're 2-3 since Ben's return?) but unless we step it up, not only won't we win the division, but we might not even make the playoffs.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 91

Default Re: Steelers Report Card

While I can't argue with the assessment of the play, I find it hard to grade the players when we had no game plan, absolutely stupid coaching, and zero adjustments to what was happening on the field.

The 78 Steelers would have graded low with last nights game plan or lack thereof!

Threads : 3

Bruce Arians - he had one week to formulate a game plan for the 29th worst defense in the league and he can't get it done AGAIN! Did Gay Brady throw many balls downfield? NO! His receivers were running short, quick routes and turning 2 yard catches into 10 yard gains on every play! The fact that he did not get pressured didn't change his game plan. However, Bruce (I'm the dumbest OC ever) Arians for 3 quarters was calling passing plays that take several seconds to develop. NO ****ING WONDER BEN WAS UNDER PRESSURE! Not one screen pass, I think I saw one draw play but every single play he called took to long to develop! He's the biggest loser since Steely McBeem! Then in the 4th quarter when NE was guarding against the big play he starts calling little flairs to the receivers and backs. WHERE THE **** WAS THEN WHEN THE 2ND QUARTER STARTED??? Also, I don't even want anyone to go spewing about Ward being hurt. NE had a group of nobody receivers and they did fantastic. Funny how a good game plan can help!

Threads : 182

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes we're 6-3 (did anyone notice that we're 2-3 since Ben's return?) but unless we step it up, not only won't we win the division, but we might not even make the playoffs.
    Point blank period Ben Causes turnovers with his inconsisent throwing. And I think the defense gets more tired with him on the field. I did also notice last night that Ben was starting to get frustrated on the field. Something I have not seen out of Ben in a long time. He was visibly upset at Sanders a couple of times. I wonder if Tomlin would have the guts to Bench Ben if he keeps throwing INT's. He locks onto his 1st read and doesn't have the ability in my mind to go through his progressions. Case in point a deep throw down the middle into double coverage and there was 2 players open in the left flat and I mean wide open which he did not even look at. I think having Starks go down was the worst thing that could have happened cause
    it was obvious he had no comfort in the pocket cause of pass rush as he was throwing the football
    Last edited by steel0710; Nov-15-2010 at 10:30 AM.

Threads : 186

Losing Aaron Smith is having a domino effect on the whole D just like last year. Theres no pressure coming from the line and the OLB are being pushed round the sides.

Threads : 60

COACHING F

It has been a long time since the Steeleres were dominated like this. The defense never was able to figure out Brady, who pretty much did whatever he wanted, and never made any adjustments. And all the offense could manage was too many checkdown passes to the running backs. A complete malfunction all the way around against a Patriots team that had them out-schemed and out-executed.
    Are you kidding? A long time? I can think back two weeks ago against the Saints when we didn't show up. Last time I checked two weeks ago isn't a long time.
    Last edited by LasVegasGuy; Nov-15-2010 at 10:54 AM.

Threads : 60

We are a gift call and a last second stop from being 1-4 since Ben's return. This staff just has no idea what to do with the players it has.

Anything that happens this year we deserve. Arians should have been fired last year and was retained. If Tomlin gave him a vote of confidence when the Rooney's wanted him gone it should be an interesting offseason if we miss the playoffs again.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information