Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: will 10-6 make the playoffs in the AFC?

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default will 10-6 make the playoffs in the AFC?

I always break the season down in quarters...if you can go 3-1 in each you have a great season. We did that the 1st half.

Now starting the 2nd half we got behind the 8 ball early...meaning we need to win our next 3....doable but 1 game is at the Ravens. Even still to go 6-2 like we did the 1st half is doable.....but is it probable?

We could drop 2 more games the rest of the way and finish 11-5...respectable...but will a 10-6 team make the playoffs in the AFC?

One thing about our schedule is we only have 1 game out of the conference, which is more than likely our easiest game, so that makes things more interesting.....6 of 7 games in conference.

This is the time of year you start looking really hard at all the teams' schedules competing for the playoffs....our is not the easiest..but far from the hardest.

I still feel we can win the division but after last nights debacle and with our injuries it will be an uphill battle...not a cake walk.

Threads : 60

Default Re: will 10-6 make the playoffs in the AFC?

Not sure we even go 10-6. We probably lose to Jets, Ravens, throw in a clunker too (bills, panthers or raiders) since we always drop a game we should win. I think it comes down to beating the Browns to be 10-6. Not sure we can even beat them anymore the way they have been playing of late. I think your question should be does 9-7 make the playoffs?

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

10-6 is a maybe, with tiebreakers, but an 11-5 is a definite wild card.

After the Steelers you have the Titans, Raiders, Miami, Chiefs and Jacksonville all at 5-4. If the Steelers can knock the raiders off their post this week, then it looks more promising that 10-6 is a lock, because they own the tiebreaker with Tennessee, Raiders, and Miami, and both of those teams still have some tough teams to play. So, the 5th seed would be more of a lock at that point, although that could just end up meaning playing the Ratbirds or Indy in the 1st round. Tennessee still has 2 games against Indy, while Miami still has to play the Jets and Patriots again.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not sure we even go 10-6. We probably lose to Jets, Ravens, throw in a clunker too (bills, panthers or raiders) since we always drop a game we should win. I think it comes down to beating the Browns to be 10-6. Not sure we can even beat them anymore the way they have been playing of late. I think your question should be does 9-7 make the playoffs?
    Were you beaten as a child? It would make sense on your continuously negative outlook on just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    10-6 is a maybe, with tiebreakers, but an 11-5 is a definite wild card.

After the Steelers you have the Titans, Raiders, Miami, Chiefs and Jacksonville all at 5-4. If the Steelers can knock the raiders off their post this week, then it looks more promising that 10-6 is a lock, because they own the tiebreaker with Tennessee, Raiders, and Miami, and both of those teams still have some tough teams to play. So, the 5th seed would be more of a lock at that point, although that could just end up meaning playing the Ratbirds or Indy in the 1st round. Tennessee still has 2 games against Indy, while Miami still has to play the Jets and Patriots again.
    I agree, while I see no reason that we can't finish 11-5 I too have fears of blowing a game somewhere along the way, but anything can happen and as long as there is a chance for the division I feel they can do it.

To me the loss to the Pats cost us any hopes of hosting the AFC Championship game. A lot of strange **** would have to happen for us to regain a position for that.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    Were you beaten as a child? It would make sense on your continuously negative outlook on just about everything.

If the Steelers are going to continue to roll with Tomlin then I am going to continue to be negative. And from the sounds of people on many, many other Steeler boards I am not alone. A lot of people are really starting to hate Tomlin so you might want to get used to it.

Threads : 1632

If the Steelers are going to continue to roll with Tomlin then I am going to continue to be negative. And from the sounds of people on many, many other Steeler boards I am not alone. A lot of people are really starting to hate Tomlin so you might want to get used to it.
    Then you should go troll with your peers on other boards.

Last edited by Skeeter; Nov-15-2010 at 09:32 PM.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes, IMO 10-6 makes the playoffs in the AFC.

If our coaching staff doesn't get their collective heads out of their collective asses, we're not sniffing 10-6.

In my humble opinion, of course.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

I don't blame MT for all of our woes, but I do hold him responsible for personnel decisions..players and coaches. IMO he has yet to make the the utterly stupid ****ing game changing decision that makes me say ship his *** out of town on rail.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when gaming planning takes place with him and the O and D. I am curious of his input....if any, because ultimately he is responsible for putting his stamp on that. His game decision mistakes have been minor IMO and he has always owned up to them.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    I don't blame MT for all of our woes, but I do hold him responsible for personnel decisions..players and coaches. IMO he has yet to make the the utterly stupid ****ing game changing decision that makes me say ship his *** out of town on rail.

I would love to be a fly on the wall when gaming planning takes place with him and the O and D. I am curious of his input....if any, because ultimately he is responsible for putting his stamp on that. His game decision mistakes have been minor IMO and he has always owned up to them.
    I've been on record for years saying Tomlin is a lousy decision maker. He's a gambler, he takes risks and they have cost us games. One against Cincy from a year or two ago is one that comes to mind. He is lousy at challenging calls and he's a mediocre clock manager at best.

I've still supported the guy and haven't called for his head yet, but I'm honestly struggling to spell out what his strengths are. He inherited a pretty ****ing good team, it's hard to not look good when you are given the keys to a Porsche.

I don't think Tomlin has the authority to fire any of his coaches, but that's my opinion. As I stated it in my Yinzer thread, he has to make a decision - to make an impact on the staff, be it leading them or he has to lobby to the Rooneys to make changes. Or throw his keys on the table or just do what he's been doing all along.

One thing for sure is, the coaching staff is failing. Tomlin is in a tough spot and status quo can't be the logical choice.

Threads : 49

Sweetchuck, I still stand by my theory that Tomlin doesn't have the same authority or power as some other head coaches. Case in point - Rooney publicly states in the offseason that the Steelers need to run the ball better. The result - The Steelers are now running the ball at least 70% of the time on 1st down. The results have been pretty bad but that's been Arian's and Tomlin's retarded response to Rooney's whining about the run game.

Rooney wanting to run the ball better + Arian's offensive philosophy + Tomlin = Bad results.

I'll just say this, if the Steelers somehow miss the playoffs again and the coaches continue to show ineptitude the rest of the season, I want Tomlin, Arians and Lebeau gone. Arians needs (and I think) will be gone, regardless. I hate to say it, Lebeau should probably be gone too if the 4th quarter meltdowns continue along with virtually every opposing QB completing passes at around 70% of the time.

But as Kipper illustrated, Tomlin does obviously have input on gameplanning and the results have been questionable.

10-6 might make it in, it really depends, no one can say right now. I want to at least see a playoff berth and 1 playoff victory this year. Total disappointment if that doesn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    Sweetchuck, I still stand by my theory that Tomlin doesn't have the same authority or power as some other head coaches. Case in point - Rooney publicly states in the offseason that the Steelers need to run the ball better. The result - The Steelers are now running the ball at least 70% of the time on 1st down. The results have been pretty bad but that's been Arian's and Tomlin's retarded response to Rooney's whining about the run game.

Rooney wanting to run the ball better + Arian's offensive philosophy + Tomlin = Bad results.

I'll just say this, if the Steelers somehow miss the playoffs again and the coaches continue to show ineptitude the rest of the season, I want Tomlin, Arians and Lebeau gone. Arians needs (and I think) will be gone, regardless. I hate to say it, Lebeau should probably be gone too if the 4th quarter meltdowns continue along with virtually every opposing QB completing passes at around 70% of the time.

But as Kipper illustrated, Tomlin does obviously have input on gameplanning and the results have been questionable.

10-6 might make it in, it really depends, no one can say right now. I want to at least see a playoff berth and 1 playoff victory this year. Total disappointment if that doesn't happen.
    Exactamundo.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post

I have no reason to think that he has any less power than any other coach in the league. I don't think the Rooney's would hand cuff him now...maybe his 1st season he had DL forced on him, but I think now he has full reign and the Rooney's would back him...or they would stand to look like medling fools like Jerry Jones.

As far as Rooney wanting more running?...who didn't...players did, fans did, everyone did...but BA....by not being to run the ball was our demise and cause of 4th quarter defense meltdowns last year...we couldn't finish games...couldn't close out games....were going 3 and out and putting it on the D who spent too much time on the field....you can't blame Rooney for having some common football sense.

Remember it was MT that came out at the end of last season with the decision to keep BA on.
    Last edited by bleedBnG58; Nov-15-2010 at 10:55 PM.

Threads : 49

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    I have no reason to think that he has any less power than any other coach in the league. I don't think the Rooney's would hand cuff him now...maybe his 1st season he had DL forced on him, but I think now he has full reign and the Rooney's would back him...or they would stand to look like medling fools like Jerry Jones.

As far as Rooney wanting more running?...who didn't...players did, fans did, everyone did...but BA....by not being to run the ball was our demise and cause of 4th quarter defense meltdowns last year...we couldn't finish games...couldn't close out games....were going 3 and out and putting it on the D who spent too much time on the field....you can't blame Rooney for having some common football sense.
    You might be right, either way, it doesn't make Tomlin look good up to this point.

Running the ball 70% of the time on 1st down is Tomlin and/or Rooney, it sure isn't Arians. Regardless, it's been a stupid and disastrous approach. Made all the worse (and obvious) because you have an OC that clearly isn't comfortable with running the ball.

I can blame Rooney if he doesn't make some changes if this team takes another nosedive like last year.

And for the record, the Steelers don't have the personnel to run it more, maybe run it better, yes, but Mendy still had about 1,000 yards and about a 5 yard average last year. In today's NFL, you simply do not need a dominating running game, just a competent one.

I blame BA for running the ball 70% of the time on 1st down..not MT or Rooney. They just want to see more balance, they don't dictate when. BA isn't creative he is predictable. How easy is it to see his predictability when MM comes in on the 3rd offensive possesion of every game at each half or that every game we pass twice that stupid little fling pass out to Ward. Did we see a screen pass Sunday?

IMO we gave up on the run too early Sunday night out of panic. That was the Pats soft spot on D. The test will come this week against the Raiders who are weak against the run but pass defend well.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information