Thread: The first quarter

Threads : 47
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default The first quarter

Well, we had some issues at the start, especially in net, but there are signs that MAF is getting his head screwed on right again. Glad we were able to come out with a winning record after a few holy **** games. We did it without Staal and with our D sort of getting used to each other. I would love to see Geno be more consistent and if Sid had a solid 1st line winger,...well, you know. I think we are making a trade for one this year depending on what happens when Staal comes back. Superstar seems to be playing better in a 4th line role, Rupp has been awful. Has Godard fought yet this year? Letang is impressing the **** out of me and deserves his own thread. Martin is good positionally but doesn't seem to do anything particularly well. I'll give Z the benefit of the doubt as he was injured and missed some time, but he did a good job shutting down the nucks strong PP last night. The rest have been par for the course. Any thoughts?

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: The first quarter

PP has been horrible.

MAF is letting in fewer soff goals... than earlier in the season.

Sid and Letang have been solid.

I like the energy that Letestu, Conner and Asham have brought to the team.

With Engelland in the line up, Godard is expendable.

You probably won't agree but, IMO Staal has cemented himself as trade bait. He's barely missed. Our PK is doing fine without him. Our 3rd line is fine without him. Staal provides depth at center and that's about it. But the Pens are loaded with centers.

Memo to Ray Shero:
    Once healthy... get Staal into the lineup, get him in shape and get him traded for a top line, sniper.

Threads : 1
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PP has been horrible.

MAF is letting in fewer soff goals... than earlier in the season.

Sid and Letang have been solid.

I like the energy that Letestu, Conner and Asham have brought to the team.

With Engelland in the line up, Godard is expendable.

You probably won't agree but, IMO Staal has cemented himself as trade bait. He's barely missed. Our PK is doing fine without him. Our 3rd line is fine without him. Staal provides depth at center and that's about it. But the Pens are loaded with centers.

Memo to Ray Shero:
    Once healthy... get Staal into the lineup, get him in shape and get him traded for a top line, sniper.
    Just curious. Not a word mentioned in your post about our other 9 million dollar center, who hasn't played well going on two years now, but Staal who could save us 4 million in cap space has played himself into trade bait while sitting out injured? Alot of hockey people are talking now about Malkin playing way below expectations.

Threads : 277

I think Rupp is playing decently, albeit not scoring the way he did last year.

Re getting a "Top 6' winger, trade Goligoski because of the blueline depth in the organization or even Michalek.

I would split Sid and Geno on the PP, giving each close to a minute out there.

I think the PP would be mroe productive and having them both out for 90 seconds hasn't been an elixir, anyway.

Threads : 35
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    I think Rupp is playing decently, albeit not scoring the way he did last year.

Re getting a "Top 6' winger, trade Goligoski because of the blueline depth in the organization or even Michalek.

I would split Sid and Geno on the PP, giving each close to a minute out there.

I think the PP would be mroe productive and having them both out for 90 seconds hasn't been an elixir, anyway.
    Michalek just signed the 4-5 year contract for 4-5mill a year, he isn't going anywhere.
    formerly known as Eagle7187

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Steelghost View Post
    Just curious. Not a word mentioned in your post about our other 9 million dollar center, who hasn't played well going on two years now, but Staal who could save us 4 million in cap space has played himself into trade bait while sitting out injured? Alot of hockey people are talking now about Malkin playing way below expectations.
    Below expectations is still going to produce more than Staal. At $4 million, Staal is also cheap and would net more of a return.

No doubt that Malkin is playing below expectations. It also doesn't help that our overhyped GM builds a team that places Arron Asham and Matt Cooke on his line and Malkin is expected to win a scoring title. That's not to say that his personal play can't be better but this winger situation needs to improve and to be honest I don't see us missing Jordan Staal right now, I see us missing some legit wingers on the top 2 lines. Defensively we're as good or better than we were last season WITH Staal and our PK which is Staal's strength is producing at an 88.5% rate 4th best in the NHL.

Ok... time to make a new post on the thread topic
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817

Quarter of the way through and...

1. Fleury was horrible for most of it. It's great to see him getting better and maybe it was Brent Johnson standing on his head and Dan Bylsma not pampering MAF. Whatever it is, MAF seems to be playing more focused now which is good.

2. Defense has had it's moments. for the most part it's not really had enough chemistry time together. There's been injuries and different goaltenders (that does make a difference). So they'd had a hard time getting on track from a chemistry stand point but when they click, they are very good. When they don't click they all look awful. I still question whether the investment is going to be worth it.

3. Sid looks great. He's still shooting at last years clip and is playing more selfish. More importantly is that chris Kunitz is having a good season with sid giving us some legit Top line production. I still don't see Kunitz being this big wing producer but if he can stay healthy he could pot 20 goals and 50-60 points. We have no other wingers on the roster that can do that unless the ****ty idea of making Malkin a wing happens for long that "experimental time" again....

4. Geno seems to look lost. I do understand that he's given wingers that have no business skating on a productive line and that's he's been pulled back and forth regarding positions. He spent the offseason prepping and such to play wing and now is back to playign center and then is given **** as wings. It's much but he needs to play better. He seems to be playing a little better lately which is a good sign and hopefully he builds off of that.

5. As I was mentioning in a prior post... I don't miss Jordan Staal. Our OK is ranked #4 in the NHL which it never was with Staal on the ice. Staal can make it better, sure but it's right now better than it's been during Staal's entire tenure here, so at this point I see Staal as a luxury on the PK. When we've given up goals this season I don't think Jordan Staal matters much to it. He's not going to prevent MAF from struggling as terribly as he did. He's not going to matter much to the defensive breakdowns and the slow forming of chemistry by the D-Men. Offensively, he'll add, he should add but it's all questionable how much he'll add in a 2nd line role where he's failed in previous chances.

6. People started whining on the internets about Dan Bylsma because...well... we were underperfoming and yes in some senses that is Bylsma's responsibility and players were underperforming. However I wrote an article about what good goaltending resulted in. How Dan Bylsma's system has produced but the players weren't capitalizing or when it came to goaltending making the saves off of the limited chances that an excellent shot preventing team (#1 int he league the last I had looked). Dan Bylsma has overall done a good job.

7. Power Play still stinks. It's been lousy for a few seasons now. When it was last good Sidney Crosby was injured and Evgeni Malkin ran the half boards. A problem with the Power Play is that Malkin and Sid both like the right half walls and are both good at it but there's only 1 spot there. Geno has the better shot and can make some pay from the slot but it seems as if the Power Play has always been half about getting a point shot and half about finding a way to utilize both Sid and Geno's strengths together. This year what we've seen is a cluster of rotation to give both Sid and Geno spots on the right half wall however the PP itself looks more confusing than anything. I'm still not certain there's a great solution
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Geno has looked a lot better since returning to center... I think we should go ahead and give the Staal and Geno line a go but not for long if it isn't working out. Geno should be a center I think. Biggest thing right now is that PP, they can't just let it keep going like this. I thought getting rid of Yeo and Gonch was a pretty drastik change which might have helped but no... I got no ideas tbh. I say hold on to Gogo... we need him if he is playing well and if he isn't he may not get much of a return so let's just work with him imo

Threads : 6

It's good to have role players playing for their professional lives.

Malkin needs to play to his potential to make this team truly dangerous. I refuse to listen to anyone talking about his linemates. Let's face it, Crosby has none to speak of either.

Staal in the lineup will make the team better. Godard is expendable, as is Rupp based on his play so far this season.

Fleury is starting to play better. ****, will he ever learn to handle the puck decently?

Sooner or later cap reality will hit. Staal will need to play on the second line to find out if he is capable of filling that position. Malkin or Staal won't be on the team forever. Better find out now who it will be.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information