Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ray Horton making excuses for his secondary

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ray Horton making excuses for his secondary

Joe Starkey interviewed Ray Horton about their secondary play, in particular William Gay, and it just sounded to me like he was making a lot of excuses for them and got very defensive over criticism concerning the Steelers secondary.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2010/...s-performance/

Threads : 440

Default Re: Ray Horton making excuses for his secondary

Willie Gay's play has been outstanding? Really??

so I guess everytime we play a good QB we should expect to get shredded?
    Last edited by hawaiiansteeler; Nov-19-2010 at 10:41 PM.

Threads : 1817

when NKy reads this the rest of us Admins/Mods might have to lock the thread down./ Could get ugly. He HATES Horton
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    when NKy reads this the rest of us Admins/Mods might have to lock the thread down./ Could get ugly. He HATES Horton
    "Yup"....

"If people will watch what happened.".... We are, which is why we're complaining, jackwad.

"3 very good slot WRs with 3 very good qbs.".... What do you think you'll see in the playoffs, jackwad?

"Do I wish he'd made the play against NE? Yea. But other than that, I got no problem with him.".... So every other play he's been fine, jackwad?

"If you think you're gonna win every battle in this league, they're wrong, we're wrong, he's wrong.".... Well, I'd settle for winning at least 50% of them, jackwad.

"Since I've been here, we've won more plays than we've lost.".... Really? Then why is the passing defense currently rated 26th in the league, jackwad?

"We're tied for 1st, we're the #5 defense.".... But how is the production that YOU are responsible for, jackwad?

"If they want to come down and coach, then let them come down and coach." (in response to the secondary giving too much cushion and easy throws).... Nice response, jackwad... You are starting to sound like Wade Phillips.

"It's the fan's right to complain, and they pay our bills.".... We wouldn't complain if you just performed on an AVERAGE level in the league, jackwad.

"Statistically, we've been one of the top defenses in the last 7 years.".... Again, are you using someone else's accomplishments to overshadow the ineffectiveness of your unit, jackwad?

"One anomolly does not make a season. I don't know where they've been, but I'd like to know where they were before that.".... We've been in the same place, jackwad. Watching the secondary struggle and give up numbers moreso than 25 other teams in passing defense.

"Don't come out of the woodwork when things are bad, but I don't hear anything when things are good.".... Then you're not paying attention because this has been mentioned by fans for years, jackwad.

.... Now I don't want to come off as "negative", because I'm not... I'm not one that has been spreading doom and gloom this week, as I believe we are still in a good/decent position... I've had enough of negative threads because it downright ruins the overall experience for me personally... But to listen to this jackwad, you'd think that the NE game was the only time his squad gave up yards/completions... I've said it before thousands of times, and I'll say it again... Look at the product Horton produced on the field during his years in Cincy, Washington, and Detroit... We are seeing an extention of the exact same product with him here in Pittsburgh.

Alot of folks find fault with many different coaches... My pet peeve is with Horton, and Arians a close 2nd.... But by all standards and definitions, Horton is an incompetent jackwad that is leading our secondary into further decline.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 164

I am going to contradict myself on this one. I tend to say, fans can't really understand whats going on down on the field. And usually I believe that. But if an idiot like me can say, "Man looks like they are targeting #22"....there you have it.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JFC!!First,Arians,now,Horton.All we need now is for LeBeau to come out and say theres nothing wrong with his schemes.

Threads : 413

NKy, tell us how you REALLY feel.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I think the term "jackwad" is something affectionate in NKy's book.

Threads : 60

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    "Yup"....

"If people will watch what happened.".... We are, which is why we're complaining, jackwad.

"3 very good slot WRs with 3 very good qbs.".... What do you think you'll see in the playoffs, jackwad?

"Do I wish he'd made the play against NE? Yea. But other than that, I got no problem with him.".... So every other play he's been fine, jackwad?

"If you think you're gonna win every battle in this league, they're wrong, we're wrong, he's wrong.".... Well, I'd settle for winning at least 50% of them, jackwad.

"Since I've been here, we've won more plays than we've lost.".... Really? Then why is the passing defense currently rated 26th in the league, jackwad?

"We're tied for 1st, we're the #5 defense.".... But how is the production that YOU are responsible for, jackwad?

"If they want to come down and coach, then let them come down and coach." (in response to the secondary giving too much cushion and easy throws).... Nice response, jackwad... You are starting to sound like Wade Phillips.

"It's the fan's right to complain, and they pay our bills.".... We wouldn't complain if you just performed on an AVERAGE level in the league, jackwad.

"Statistically, we've been one of the top defenses in the last 7 years.".... Again, are you using someone else's accomplishments to overshadow the ineffectiveness of your unit, jackwad?

"One anomolly does not make a season. I don't know where they've been, but I'd like to know where they were before that.".... We've been in the same place, jackwad. Watching the secondary struggle and give up numbers moreso than 25 other teams in passing defense.

"Don't come out of the woodwork when things are bad, but I don't hear anything when things are good.".... Then you're not paying attention because this has been mentioned by fans for years, jackwad.

.... Now I don't want to come off as "negative", because I'm not... I'm not one that has been spreading doom and gloom this week, as I believe we are still in a good/decent position... I've had enough of negative threads because it downright ruins the overall experience for me personally... But to listen to this jackwad, you'd think that the NE game was the only time his squad gave up yards/completions... I've said it before thousands of times, and I'll say it again... Look at the product Horton produced on the field during his years in Cincy, Washington, and Detroit... We are seeing an extention of the exact same product with him here in Pittsburgh.

Alot of folks find fault with many different coaches... My pet peeve is with Horton, and Arians a close 2nd.... But by all standards and definitions, Horton is an incompetent jackwad that is leading our secondary into further decline.
    They all lead by example. There is no accountability from the top down. Man, I hate this f-ing staff. Get shredded by the Raiders and maybe the Rooneys will wake all these guys up because the coach won't do it.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I seem to remember that, prior to last game, several voiced concerns that the sit-back nature of our secondary would be exploited by the *s, since that short pass into the secondary appeared to be not just their preference but their forte this year.

Voila!

I don't know what happened to Bryant McFadden in Arizona, but he doesn't seem like the same player who went out there.

Still, 6-3 and I have no power to change anything (beyond my game day superstitions) and still in it!

Jackwad: Sounds like one of those names people lumber their kids with, much like the multiple (and incorrect) attempts at spelling "Antoine".

"Introducing, former Raiders Quarterback, JaQuad Russell!..."
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    I knew this would get him all charged up!

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    They all lead by example. There is no accountability from the top down. Man, I hate this f-ing staff. Get shredded by the Raiders and maybe the Rooneys will wake all these guys up because the coach won't do it.
    Listen,everyone here knows that I'm a fan of Mike Tomlin,but if theres one thing that bugs the ever-loving **** out of me about him,its the fact that he has yet to crack down on the two clowns running his offense and defense.When will enough be enough??Seriously!!!

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Horton hears a who

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's what I don't understand about Gay.

First, I get that a TE is a tough matchup in one aspect, and that's the height difference, of which Brady exploited on that first TD pass on Sunday. But my God, that was a perfect pass. Gay was actually rightthere. I'm sorry but not all QB's in the league can make that pass. So on that I'm willing to absolve Gay.

However, the best thing that a DB (Gay) has going for him, or should, is his speed. He should be faster than TE's in the league. And that's what we don't see. Gay can't even keep up wih and cover TE's and hat's completely ridiculous.

I get not being able to knock down a high pass intended for a 6-4 player, but to not even keep up with a guy in coverage that you should be faster than is abominable.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    Horton hears a who
    If his secondary doesn't improve it's going to be, "Horton hears a BOO" from all of the fans that are getting tired of watching this secondary getting shredded every week! At least if the guy would have said something like, "We need to get better. As a secondary we strive to be the best and I'll do everything I can as a coach to make sure we improve as a unit. I like some things we've done as a unit, but we have areas we need to get better at if we're going to be able to compete with the Tom Bradys of the NFL." Maybe something like that, that at least shows your not making excuses and shows that your not satisfied with mediocrity. If he's actually happy with the way his secondary is performing, then that just tells me that we can continue to expect the same from the secondary as long as he remains their coach. And continue to be worried every time we face a good QB too, since Ray seems to be inclined to just give the other QB credit for shredding his secondary instead of being up to the challenge to try and stop them.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information