Thread: Donnie Iris' "King Cool Light Beer"

Threads : 23
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Donnie Iris' "King Cool Light Beer"

Donnie Iris puts his name behind his beer, King Cool Light

Ben Roethlisberger has his own barbecue sauce, and Jerome Bettis has the Grille 36 restaurant.

Now, another local icon is endorsing a product.

Get ready to welcome King Cool Light, a beer promoted by King Cool himself, Donnie Iris.

"It's a really good beer," says Iris, the Beaver County singer who is known for the hit singles "Ah, Leah" and "Love Is Like a Rock." "I just hope people will like it."

King Cool Light is the brainchild of Mark Avsec, Iris' longtime keyboardist and an intellectual-property lawyer. Iris, who admits to enjoying an occasional light beer, liked the idea, but with one caveat: This was not going to be a vanity project, or product. Iris insisted that anything he endorsed was going to be of quality.

Enter Gary Medved, a Uniontown native who owns a manufacturing business in Northeast Ohio. Medved, a fan of Iris' music, was reluctant to get involved despite thinking that King Cool Light was a superb marketing idea. It was only after some cajoling by Avsec that he finally relented to immersing himself in the vagaries of brewing beer.

"I have to tell you, it's been one of the most fun and rewarding projects I've worked on," Medved says.

And perhaps one of the most painstaking. Medved hired a brewer and tried numerous recipes in blind taste tests. Iris continually turned down various iterations when they failed to satisfy his criteria, or thirst.

"The thing with most light beers is they all pretty much taste the same," Iris says. "You can't tell the difference between them. I wanted something with flavor, something I didn't have to drink ten beers to enjoy."

The eureka moment came when Iris took home a couple of bottles this summer and opened them after dinner. Almost immediately, he knew it was the right recipe.

"I guess the closest it would be is to a Sam Adams light," Iris says of the taste and color of the beverage. "It's in that kind of ballpark. It's certainly not like Miller Light or a Coors Light. ... It's certainly not like Guinness or anything like that. But it does have flavor and a nice overall taste that I really like. I'm putting my name behind it because I do like it."

Medved sought a brewery in the Pittsburgh area, but none could meet the capacity he wanted. The Lion Brewery of Wilkes Barre, Luzerne County, will handle the brewing of King Cool Light, which has undergone numerous blind taste tests with non-partisan beer lovers.

"It's come in No. 1 or No. 2 every time," Medved says.

The official release for King Cool Light will be Nov. 20 at Diesel, South Side, during a concert by Iris and his band, the Cruisers. Medved says the plan is to start with the Pittsburgh area, and gradually expand distribution throughout Western Pennsylvania. Iris also plans to do some guest-bartender gigs in the area, with a few spots in his native Beaver County.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_650525.html

It might be okay, if it's like an Amstel Light, or Sam Adams Light. I'll give it a try if I ever see it around in single bottles. I've had some of the Lion Breweries products before, meh...The Lionshead brew has basically no alcohol in it at all. They did have one brew called Kinghts Head Pale Ale which was good, nice and hoppy, especially for the price it was awesome, it was $8.99 a case. Can't find it anymore though

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Donnie Iris' "King Cool Light Beer"

I saw this the other day. I'm not going to say that I'm overly excited about a "Light Beer" but I'll probably give it a try when I get the chance

Yeah, I'm not a light beer drinker at all, but if I see it at a bar somewhere in bottles, I'll probably give one a try.

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Donnie Iris puts his name behind his beer, King Cool Light

Ben Roethlisberger has his own barbecue sauce, and Jerome Bettis has the Grille 36 restaurant.

Now, another local icon is endorsing a product.

Get ready to welcome King Cool Light, a beer promoted by King Cool himself, Donnie Iris.

"It's a really good beer," says Iris, the Beaver County singer who is known for the hit singles "Ah, Leah" and "Love Is Like a Rock." "I just hope people will like it."

King Cool Light is the brainchild of Mark Avsec, Iris' longtime keyboardist and an intellectual-property lawyer. Iris, who admits to enjoying an occasional light beer, liked the idea, but with one caveat: This was not going to be a vanity project, or product. Iris insisted that anything he endorsed was going to be of quality.

Enter Gary Medved, a Uniontown native who owns a manufacturing business in Northeast Ohio. Medved, a fan of Iris' music, was reluctant to get involved despite thinking that King Cool Light was a superb marketing idea. It was only after some cajoling by Avsec that he finally relented to immersing himself in the vagaries of brewing beer.

"I have to tell you, it's been one of the most fun and rewarding projects I've worked on," Medved says.

And perhaps one of the most painstaking. Medved hired a brewer and tried numerous recipes in blind taste tests. Iris continually turned down various iterations when they failed to satisfy his criteria, or thirst.

"The thing with most light beers is they all pretty much taste the same," Iris says. "You can't tell the difference between them. I wanted something with flavor, something I didn't have to drink ten beers to enjoy."

The eureka moment came when Iris took home a couple of bottles this summer and opened them after dinner. Almost immediately, he knew it was the right recipe.

"I guess the closest it would be is to a Sam Adams light," Iris says of the taste and color of the beverage. "It's in that kind of ballpark. It's certainly not like Miller Light or a Coors Light. ... It's certainly not like Guinness or anything like that. But it does have flavor and a nice overall taste that I really like. I'm putting my name behind it because I do like it."

Medved sought a brewery in the Pittsburgh area, but none could meet the capacity he wanted. The Lion Brewery of Wilkes Barre, Luzerne County, will handle the brewing of King Cool Light, which has undergone numerous blind taste tests with non-partisan beer lovers.

"It's come in No. 1 or No. 2 every time," Medved says.

The official release for King Cool Light will be Nov. 20 at Diesel, South Side, during a concert by Iris and his band, the Cruisers. Medved says the plan is to start with the Pittsburgh area, and gradually expand distribution throughout Western Pennsylvania. Iris also plans to do some guest-bartender gigs in the area, with a few spots in his native Beaver County.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_650525.html

It might be okay, if it's like an Amstel Light, or Sam Adams Light. I'll give it a try if I ever see it around in single bottles. I've had some of the Lion Breweries products before, meh...The Lionshead brew has basically no alcohol in it at all. They did have one brew called Kinghts Head Pale Ale which was good, nice and hoppy, especially for the price it was awesome, it was $8.99 a case. Can't find it anymore though
    I have had Knights Head quite a few times. At the club night I promote at hte Bloomfield Bridge Tavern they have 1.10$ beers from 10-12, they always have that in the cooler. It isn't bad.

I really don't do light beers. Guiness is about as light as it gets for me. I had Lionshead one time when I was in WBS. I didn't think it was too bad at the time, I thought it compared with Yueng. I don't like lagers in general tbh.

Threads : 215

I'll try it!

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    I have had Knights Head quite a few times. At the club night I promote at hte Bloomfield Bridge Tavern they have 1.10$ beers from 10-12, they always have that in the cooler. It isn't bad.

I really don't do light beers. Guiness is about as light as it gets for me. I had Lionshead one time when I was in WBS. I didn't think it was too bad at the time, I thought it compared with Yueng. I don't like lagers in general tbh.
    I remember years ago playing at the BBT right around when the Augustiner came out. They gave all band members free Augustiner for the night. I had some crazy ****s for the next 2 days. I'm from now on weary about "specials" on beers I've never heard of

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I remember years ago playing at the BBT right around when the Augustiner came out. They gave all band members free Augustiner for the night. I had some crazy ****s for the next 2 days. I'm from now on weary about "specials" on beers I've never heard of
    Heh well Augustiner is brewed by Iron ****ty isn't it?

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Light beer?

blech

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Heh well Augustiner is brewed by Iron ****ty isn't it?
    Pittsburgh Brewing Co.

Location : Pirates fan trapped 11 CTA stops north of Wrigley Field
    Threads : 72

"Oh Light Beer, here we go again...
    will this ****in' ever end?"

Or perhaps you'd like this better:

"Love's Like Drinking Bock"

Free your *** and your mind will follow.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    Pittsburgh Brewing Co.
    Iron City Brewing Company

"In 2007, the brewery was purchased and brought out of bankruptcy by Unified Growth Partners. They renamed the brewery to its original name of "Iron City Brewing Company" and hope to return it to full production and overcome the numerous shortcomings of the formerly neglected business[4]."

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information