Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do we take a Rule 5 pick?

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Do we take a Rule 5 pick?

I have been reading that we can, indeed, move someone off of the 40 man and take a Rule 5 pick. If we do that, it would be interesting to see who we move off.

However, I am more focused on who we would take (more fun).

PirateProspects
    has some top Rule 5 guys that are out there at these links:
    4-Pirates Prospects- 2010 Rule 5 Draft Eligible Players: Position Players*
    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2010...n-players.html
    5- Pirates Prospects-2010 Rule 5 Draft Eligible Players: Pitchers*
    http://www.piratesprospects.com/2010...-pitchers.html

I was looking at those Rule 5 possibilities. *
    ...........*
    The ONLY position player I'd consider is Brad Emaus. He could be our backup at 2b and 3b and might be handy since he is a RH batter. He could give Pedro and Neal rests during the season. And, if either suffers a soph slump, might be a better alternative than anything in our system. He is supposedly a 'scrappy/moxie' kind of guy with some 'pop'.*
    A coupla pitchers look promising:*
    I like taking a chance on Adam Miller . It sounds like we could DL him like we did with Veal, at least at the beginning of the season. If he's back, we got a REAL GOOD one.*
    I also like Adam Ottavino. He could be an Evan Meek type project. He throws in the high 90s and was a former #1 pick. His only red flag is his tendency to tinker with his delivery.*
    My final choice is LHP Tim Collins. I mean, why not? We don't have any lefties outside of Ledezma, who is hardly a sure thing. He apparently has one heckuva knee-buckling curve and his K rates are over 1 per inn. He's only 5'7" but has a quirky delivery that could make him very effective out of the pen.*
    Of course, with all these guys, there's a reason they were left unprotected, so they all come with lots of questions.*

*If I had to choose one, I would choose Adam Miller , just because the upside is high and the potential to hide him all season on the DL (with rehab starts).

Threads : 9
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Do we take a Rule 5 pick?

The more I read about Louis Coleman from the Royals, the more I think he should be our guy. Everyone seems to think he will be ready this year, and some say he has closer potential. Just go read some top prospects lists about him. The only reason he's even available is the absolute loadedness of the Royals system. He would make many teams top 10 lists. Here is one top prospect list.
    http://thekclpipeline.blogspot.com/2...ects-2010.html
    16. Louis Coleman, RH, 24 (last year: 15) -- 2-1, 2.09 ERA, 0.87 WHIP, .171 OAV, 6 SV, 5 HRA, 14 BB/55 K in 21 G (1 start)/51 2/3 IP at NW Arkansas, 5-2, 2.23 ERA, 1.04 WHIP, .215 OAV, 1 SV, 2 HRA, 11 BB/48 K in 21 G/40 1/3 IP in Omaha.

*** Louis ranks higher on some lists, I'm sure, as he and Collins could comprise a formidable duo in the KC pen as soon as next season. He dips a spot this season more for the performance of others than his own. He was stellar at both AA and AAA with good K rates at both levels and a roughly 4-1 K/BB at both stops as well. At this point it looks like a step up to the majors is just a spring training away. I'm gonna go out on a short limb here and say he and Collins are both set-up guys in the KC pen by September 2011. My verve for Coleman is tempered by the fact he's a reliever. Starters are going to be the key to the Royals' rebirth. Yes, a solid pen is part of the puzzle but I think that's an easier part of the puzzle to put together. Coleman should be a good one, tho.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://royalsprospects.com/?p=475
    Here's more on Coleman. The more you read the more you'll want to steal him from KC. I've seen him as high as 10 on some top prospects lists.

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by LeeFoo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like taking a chance on Adam Miller . It sounds like we could DL him like we did with Veal, at least at the beginning of the season. If he's back, we got a REAL GOOD one.*
    This is such a Neal Huntington type pick. Mark it down, Opie cannot resist selecting Miller. This is who the Pirates will take.

"Adam Miller, Cleveland Indians

Miller was the top prospect in the Cleveland farm system from 2005-2008, and was a top 100 prospect in the majors from 2005-2009. Miller hasn't pitched since the 2008 season, after having serious finger surgery to rebuild the pulley system in his middle finger. He returned during the instructional leagues this off-season, throwing 93-94 MPH. Prior to his injury issues, he was throwing 98 MPH, and touching 100. He would likely spend time on the disabled list to start the season, and he's only pitched 28.2 innings in the last three seasons, but Miller could be a good gamble to take for a team hoping he can return to his former self."

Read more: 2010 Rule 5 Draft Eligible Players: Pitchers | Pirates Prospects http://www.piratesprospects.com/2010...#ixzz15wM8i4Wv
    Last edited by tocchet92; Nov-21-2010 at 12:56 PM.

Threads : 197

I can't see them (or anyone really) taking Miller. He might have the most upside of any of them, but he hasn't pitched in almost 3 full years and isn't expected to be ready for the start of the season.

I can't see them (or anyone really) taking Miller. He might have the most upside of any of them, but he hasn't pitched in almost 3 full years and isn't expected to be ready for the start of the season.
    All the more reason to take him. You can hide him on the DL all year while he recovers just like they did with Veal.

Altho, the more I read about Coleman, I wouldn't mind having him. However, Miller is a SP.

Either one would be fine by me.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This is such a Neal Huntington type pick. Mark it down, Opie cannot resist selecting Miller. This is who the Pirates will take.

"Adam Miller, Cleveland Indians

Miller was the top prospect in the Cleveland farm system from 2005-2008, and was a top 100 prospect in the majors from 2005-2009. Miller hasn't pitched since the 2008 season, after having serious finger surgery to rebuild the pulley system in his middle finger. He returned during the instructional leagues this off-season, throwing 93-94 MPH. Prior to his injury issues, he was throwing 98 MPH, and touching 100. He would likely spend time on the disabled list to start the season, and he's only pitched 28.2 innings in the last three seasons, but Miller could be a good gamble to take for a team hoping he can return to his former self."

Read more: 2010 Rule 5 Draft Eligible Players: Pitchers | Pirates Prospects http://www.piratesprospects.com/2010...#ixzz15wM8i4Wv
    Highly unlikely...the dude hasn't even made an appearance in how many years...and wont even be able to pitch until after the middle of the season?

If I were picking I'd take Wynn Pelzer.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 197

You can't just hide a guy on the DL all year. He has to be on the active 25 man for 90 days. You could spread that out over multiple seasons, but I don't think anyone has ever actually done it.

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    You can't just hide a guy on the DL all year. He has to be on the active 25 man for 90 days. You could spread that out over multiple seasons, but I don't think anyone has ever actually done it.
    I think you could get by with Pelzer...not with Miller.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 215

I am always for rule 5 pitchers if the Bucs are going to do that.......but

The Pirates need some serious infield back up kinda guys. Would a young rule 5 back up infielder get enough work?

I just answered my own question. Go pitcher and hire on some older guys for infield back ups.

As for which pitch............you guys are better at that than me by far, and I enjoy reading your thoughts.

Threads : 22

I think a pitcher is a lot easier to hide than a position player - we saw how well that worked last year.

And, NH seems to do well with getting the pitchers (injury aside).

I almost hope they don't take one - that will just eliminate one area of stress for fans worrying about it all year.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

All this talk of "hiding" someone is exactly why Coleman should be our guy. He's ready. Last year, a lot of Royals bloggers wanted him called up in September. He dominated AAA and AA last year. I've read that he has pinpoint control and great movement on his fastball, with velocity in the 90-93 range that tops out at 95.
    If he were a Pirate, he would be a favorite to be in the bullpen weather or not he had to be. Him being in the majors is just his natural progression, really.
    The only thing that gives me pause about him is the fact that the Royals had a terrible pen last year. Having a hard time figuring out how they couldn't find a place to squeeze him on the roster, but as I said, KC's system is absolutely loaded. In Kevin Goldstein's report he had Coleman ranked 17. What's interesting about that is that he had 1st rounder Aaron Crowe ranked 16! On his podcast he talked about how amazing the KC system is and how depressing it was ranking the Baltimore system. He said that the 16th best prospect in KC's system would rank 4th on Baltimore's list. Which to me, sounds like the 17th best prospect might beat out Pelzer. Especially if he doesn't need hiding.

No S**t Sherlock...that's why I said "Just like they did with Veal".

Miller'd throw an inning here and there, get put on the DL, go down to AAA for rehab, come back up, throw another innig or two, go on the DL, rinse, repeat until he gets his 90 days!

Quote Originally Posted by JimY View Post
    All this talk of "hiding" someone is exactly why Coleman should be our guy. He's ready. Last year, a lot of Royals bloggers wanted him called up in September. He dominated AAA and AA last year. I've read that he has pinpoint control and great movement on his fastball, with velocity in the 90-93 range that tops out at 95.
    If he were a Pirate, he would be a favorite to be in the bullpen weather or not he had to be. Him being in the majors is just his natural progression, really.
    The only thing that gives me pause about him is the fact that the Royals had a terrible pen last year. Having a hard time figuring out how they couldn't find a place to squeeze him on the roster, but as I said, KC's system is absolutely loaded. In Kevin Goldstein's report he had Coleman ranked 17. What's interesting about that is that he had 1st rounder Aaron Crowe ranked 16! On his podcast he talked about how amazing the KC system is and how depressing it was ranking the Baltimore system. He said that the 16th best prospect in KC's system would rank 4th on Baltimore's list. Which to me, sounds like the 17th best prospect might beat out Pelzer. Especially if he doesn't need hiding.
    Pelzer has a ton of upside though.
    Hidden Content

We'll know in a coupla weeks who or if we take someone.

Should be interesting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information