Thread: Seymour deserves hit even after Steelers' smack-down

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Seymour deserves hit even after Steelers' smack-down

Seymour deserves hit even after Steelers' smack-down

By Gregg Doyel
    CBSSports.com National Columnist
    Nov. 21, 2010 http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/1...lers-smackdown

PITTSBURGH -- After Oakland's Richard Seymour sucker-punched Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, the Steelers delivered their message. Now it's up to NFL commissioner Roger Goodell to deliver his -- and that hard-*** better deliver one of the sternest messages of his life

After the 6-foot-6, 310-pound Seymour sucker-punched Roethlisberger late in the first half Sunday, the Steelers handled it their way. They pulverized Oakland 35-3, sacking the Raiders six times, forcing three turnovers and pouring it on in the final minutes. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin took several shots downfield in the fourth quarter and had Roethlisberger throw a 16-yard touchdown pass with less than 75 seconds left for the final margin -- and the final message:

Don't mess with our quarterback.

Message received.

"Tomlin, he went for the throat," Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly said. "It's all good. It'll come around."

Excuse me? There's nothing to "come around." Richard Seymour played dirty. The officials ejected him, and the Steelers retaliated on the remaining Raiders by winning huge. The only thing left is the verdict from the NFL's notoriously tough commissioner, Goodell, who has fined Steelers linebacker James Harrison three times this season for more than $100,000.

"There needs to be some reciprocity," Steelers offensive tackle Jonathan Scott said. "If James Harrison is going to be fined for his hits, let's see what happens to [Seymour]."

Unlike the Steelers, who were livid with Seymour -- Steelers guard Chris Kemoeatu immediately hit Seymour in the face, drawing a 15-yard penalty and probably a fine from Goodell and later telling me, "It seemed like the right thing to do" -- Goodell won't be running hot. He needs to be cold and calculating when he decides what to do with Seymour, and he won't be simply punishing Seymour for that open-handed strike that sent Roethlisberger to the ground. Goodell needs to send an unmistakable message to Seymour, and to the rest of the league, that such behavior will not be tolerated.

I'm thinking a hefty fine, or a suspension, or both. Ideally, both. The problem here is the victim. Roethlisberger? To many, he's no victim. To many, he deserves whatever he gets on the field. Roethlisberger has avoided criminal punishment off the field after being accused twice of sexual assault, but in the court of public opinion he was guilty. To some people, Seymour will not be seen as a dirty player. He will be seen as an avenging angel.

To me, he's dirty. Period. Seymour wasn't avenging women everywhere when he smashed Roethlisberger in the face. He was lashing out after a humbling half of football that had seen the Steelers race to a 21-3 lead by dominating the line of scrimmage. Before sucker-punching Roethlisberger late in the second quarter, Seymour had been involved twice in post-whistle skirmishes with Kemoeatu.

"He was frustrated," Kemoeatu said. "On the play [that led to Seymour's ejection], me and him were going at it. He bull-rushed me and I threw him down. He tried to twist my ankle, and I said something to him. He got up and started to say something back, and that's when Ben was walking past him. He took it out on Ben. Ben didn't say anything to him. He just snapped."

This was a physical game, and don't let the awful officiating confuse the issue. The box score shows that Pittsburgh was penalized 14 times for a franchise-record 163 yards, compared to seven penalties for 55 yards against the Raiders, but that's misleading. The referees were terrible. I'm not much for conspiracy theories, but the officiating was so one-sided -- some of the calls against Pittsburgh so mystifying -- that I researched the background of referee Tony Corrente. Just out of curiosity.

Corrente is a lifelong resident of California. Home of the Raiders. If you were curious.

Me, I'm curious about Goodell's reaction to Seymour -- and the officiating. I'm also curious about the Raiders' three-game winning streak coming into Sunday, and about Jason Campbell's 104.3 quarterback rating during that streak, and about running back Darren McFadden's ability to average 5.4 yards per carry and an NFL-best 108.6 yards through nine games.

How did any of that happen? Because I didn't see it Sunday. Pittsburgh's defense was playing without both starting ends, and with several regulars having missed most of the week's preparation with injury, and still the Steelers dominated Oakland. The Raiders gained just 182 yards in total offense. McFadden had 10 carries for 14 yards. Campbell's passer rating read like a marathon of misery -- 26.2 -- and that's with a pick-six interception erased by penalty.

See, Seymour and the Oakland defense weren't the only Raiders who were beaten up Sunday. The Oakland offense was abused, and on special teams the Raiders allowed a 67-yard punt return by Antonio Brown for a touchdown. Like the pick-six from Steelers cornerback Ike Taylor, though, Brown's touchdown return was nullified by penalty.

In other words, this game could have been 49-3.

Which is what Oakland's Richard Seymour, team captain that he is, deserved.

Now it's your turn, Roger Goodell.

For more from Gregg Doyel, check him out on Twitter: @greggdoyelcbs

Threads : 1632

Default Re: Seymour deserves hit even after Steelers' smack-down

Look, look Roger the QB got hit in the head area! After the play & whistle!

Threads : 440

Harrison hopes Seymour pays big for hit on Roethlisberger

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 21, 2010, 9:14 PM EST

Steelers linebacker James Harrison knows all about the NFL’s tendency towards heavy fines this season. He just hopes Raiders defensive lineman Richard Seymour feels the league’s wrath too after his punch to Ben Roethlisberger‘s face Sunday.

“I hope he would hear from the league a lot worse than what I did,” Harrison told Alex Marvez of FoxSports.com. “I’m playing the game within the whistles. What he did was way outside of it.”

Marvez thinks that Seymour should be suspended for next week’s game and pay a six figure fine for the hit. Harrison agrees.

“I don’t see why not,” Harrison said. “The guy’s celebrating with his teammates and you punch him in his face.”

The argument in Seymour’s case against a suspension will be that he was already kicked out of one game. Surely a heavy fine is coming, but the is the hit worthy of missing one and a half games?

Harrison and the Steelers, who wondered about an anti-Steeler bias Sunday, will be watching the league’s reaction closely.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...oethlisberger/

Threads : 215

There should have been four Steelers linemen with penalties for retaliation. I am ashamed of the mild reaction from them!

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Do you hear these guys ? He did this, I did that, he should get fined, I wonder if we will get fined ? Goodell is screwing up the game, the players heads and the results of this league.

These owners better sit on this dumbass and quick.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Just visiting the Raiders forum and they are crying the blues that we are crying the blues. Very few agree we got ripped off with some of the calls that went against us. Theyre still complaining about the immaculant reception. They are saying we usually get all the calls and finally some calls went against us. They're also complaining about the Seahawk Super Bowl win. I got a kick out of, we have all these o-line injuries and our lines is always good. Must be the grass is greener syndrome.

All those bad calls and we still wiped the field up with them.

Threads : 20

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There should have been four Steelers linemen with penalties for retaliation. I am ashamed of the mild reaction from them!
    You betcha!... in the immortal words of Myron Cope!

When Seymour is SURROUNDED by Ben's OL, they shoulda just gooned up this guy. Who ****ing cares about the ensuing melee? They shoulda beaten this ****er's head off. Instantaneous justice! Just like the NHL.

I admire our guys for the restraint. Who knows if we couldn't have had 20 penalties on our side yesterday if they had retaliated? In the absence of the retaliation, it seems appropriate for Seymour to be liberated of some of his cash, ala Silverback.

But I don't know. Ben walked off and was laughing it off right afterward. The league will prolly look at that and just give Seymour the "high sign" with the admonition to knock his *** out next time.
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 407

1 game suspension and a fine...minimum.

Threads : 407

As much as Ben always has his O lines back ...they didnt have his yesterday after the Seymour punch.....3-4-5-all should have been all over that piece of **** Seymour so fast ..it should of been a bench clearing rumble...I too am ashamed of our O line.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As much as Ben always has his O lines back ...they didnt have his yesterday after the Seymour punch.....3-4-5-all should have been all over that piece of **** Seymour so fast ..it should of been a bench clearing rumble...I too am ashamed of our O line.
    For sure. Kemeotu was the only one.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information