Thread: Harrison angry again, complains about unfair NFL rules for defenders

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Harrison angry again, complains about unfair NFL rules for defenders

Harrison angry again, complains about unfair NFL rules for defenders

08:33 PMYahoo! BuzzShare
    DiggNewsvineRedditE-mailSavePrintShare0
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...or-defenders/1

Recommend PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers LB James Harrison found himself at a vexing loss after Sunday's 35-3 throttling of the Oakland Raiders.

The 2008 Defensive Player of the Year still doesn't know what is and isn't a legal hit after being called for his fifth personal foul this season when Harrison planted Raiders QB Jason Campbell in the Heinz Field turf as Campbell threw a third-quarter pass.

Not only did the ensuing 15-yard roughing-the-passer penalty wipe out cornerback Ike Taylor's apparent 16-yard, third-quarter INT return for a TD, it left Harrison's teammates feeling concern for him.

Harrison finished with five tackles, two sacks, an INT, a forced fumble and a cloud of doubt still hovering over him.

"The call on James was an unfortunate call that took back a TD on defense. I really don't think it was a bad hit,'' LB James Farrior said. "No doubt about it, James Harrison is more confused than ever. I don't know what's going through his mind right now.

"It seems like he can't do anything right. It's getting bad."

Harrison insisted his hit on Campbell was within the rules -- a legal wrap-up form tackle. He also insisted commissioner Roger Goodell should have more former players reviewing hits and determining fines with more recent playing experience than ex-San Francisco 49ers safety Merton Hanks (who retired after the 1999 season)

"I'm playing within the rules of the game as far as I'm concerned,'' Harrison said. "I don't think there's enough of them (former players who review and determine illegal hits) up there that have played the game. They say they have guys up here in New York that have played the game.

"They have Merton Hanks. The game's a lot faster now then it was when he played. I play linebacker. Things happen a lot faster when you're closer to the line of scrimmage than when you're a safety like he was.

Harrison drew one of six personal foul penalties -- out of 14 total penalties -- whistled against the Steelers.

"We were playing the way we play 'Steelers ball.' That's fast and hard,'' Harrison said.

"I'm just going to play the game the way I've been taught to play and let the cards fall where they may.''

Harrison was fined $75,000 for an illegal helmet-to-helmet hit against Cleveland Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi Oct. 17. Harrison's teammate Troy Polamalu voiced his concern about the crackdown on dangerous hits changing the aggressive way defensive players are taught to play.

Harrison considered retirement for one day after his hit on Massaquoi drew the stiffest of three fines issued by the league in its Week 6 enforcement against helmet-to-helmet hits.

"You hope it all balances out,'' defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau said when asked about the personal foul called against Harrison. "We're trying to get them to lower their target zone. That's what we're trying to emphasize.''

Said Polamalu: "I can't imagine us changing our style. We have to leave it up to them (the officials). When I'm playing, I'm not thinking whether it's a fine or not a fine.

"Other players might be."

-- Jim Corbett

Threads : 277

Default Re: Harrison angry again, complains about unfair NFL rules for defenders

We will read tomorrow that the NFL has apologized to the Steelers about the Woodley and Clark penalties, maybe something about the Harrison hit, also that the refs were "reprimanded" or whatever is the mildest form of rebuke they can receive when they are wrong and the game will go on.

I agree with Troy, "Play the game, play ti hard and don't worry about the refs."

Threads : 135

Default Re: Harrison angry again, complains about unfair NFL rules for defenders

Any video of the Harrison hit?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 135

I am getting tired of the NFl and stupid Roger Goodell's bull****.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information