Thread: Brandon Spikes Controversey

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Brandon Spikes Controversey

I missed this during the game this past Saturday, but obviously alot of folks didn't... Spikes intentionally eye-gouging a Georgia player... It was covered by quite a few sports outlets today, and all seemed to be down on him... Before I saw the vid I thought they might be exaggerating it, but after seeing it, it looks pretty blatant... Judge for yourself.

"You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 158
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Brandon Spikes Controversey

I tuned into Mike and Mike just in time to hear Mike Golic absolutely tear this kid a new one. I thought it was a bit much until I saw the vid.

Quote Originally Posted by wvkeeper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I tuned into Mike and Mike just in time to hear Mike Golic absolutely tear this kid a new one. I thought it was a bit much until I saw the vid.
    That's where I first heard about it as well... Then Dan Patrick talked about it, so I went looking for the vid...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Now suspended.... Only for 1st half of next game, though.

sjdrewk

I saw that the other day. It was all over the news. I think it was just a classless thing to do- Eye Gouging; but at the same time I have to temper my response to say that in the old days of the NFL(and I know we are talking about a College player) tons of players "gave each other the business) in pile ups in the 50s, 60's, 70's and even 80's. Hell I heard stories about how players would bite each other and punch each other in the dog piles. I think for the most part, the play is clean in upper division college and in the NFL as far as biting and eye gouging goes.....just nowadays you are sure to be caught with all the cameras in use. In the old days there were not as many eyes and cameras.

Threads : 58

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Now suspended.... Only for 1st half of next game, though.
    Wow, way to lay down the law there Urb. I wonder what he would consider a fair punishment if an opposing player was gouging Tebow's eye under a pile? I'll bet the bank he would expect more than the B.S. "punishment" he handed out. The first half of a game? Give me a break.

Also, where is the SEC commissioner in all of this? Calling Mike Slive.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am in the process of writing a lil "article" type thing about how this could affect his draft stock too. Brandon Spikes is an elite talent...but the problem here is that he broke almost one of the "CODES" of football...definitely not a bright thing to do.

Should have been suspended longer...also should hurt him more than Dez Bryant.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

sjdrewk

Florida increases Spikes suspension to full game
    By MARK LONG, AP Sports Writer
    1 hour, 8 minutes ago
    Buzz up!
    Print
    GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP)—With all the negative attention “weighing heavy on his heart,” Florida linebacker Brandon Spikes asked to serve a full-game suspension for apparently trying to gouge the eyes of a Georgia running back.

Coach Urban Meyer obliged, saying Wednesday that it was in the top-ranked Gators’ best interest that Spikes sit out Saturday’s game against Vanderbilt.

“I really don’t want to be a distraction to the team,” Spikes said after practice. “I want the guys to prepare without any negative things going on, and I feel like if I would play, it would be a big thing going on. I’m just trying to stay out of the way and just motivate the guys.”

Meyer had faced some criticism for only suspending his star defender for the first half of the Vandy game. The Southeastern Conference accepted the original punishment.

Related Video

BCS reviewBCS review
    More NCAAF Videos
    Stories Resonating on Yahoo!
    Battle over face veil heats up in Egypt
    Expert: Why soda is so bad for your body
    ADVERTISEMENT

Spikes stuck his hand into the facemask of Georgia’s Washaun Ealey during Florida 41-17 victory against the Bulldogs. There was no penalty called at the time, but after talk about the play spread, Meyer reviewed it and decided to punish Spikes.

Meyer, Spikes and defensive coordinator Charlie Strong agreed to increase the punishment.

“A lot of the negative things out there really weighing heavy on his heart right now and so we thought that, as a group, we decided the best interest just for the team to not play him Saturday,” Meyer said. “It was a group decision and we’re doing it out of respect to our team so we can focus on trying to win our ninth game.

“We think it’s the right thing to do. We support Brandon fully and we look forward to get back and finish the season the right way.”

Spikes is fourth on the team with 42 tackles and has three sacks.

He considered entering the NFL draft in January, but decided to return for his senior season in hopes of helping Florida win a third national title in four years.

But he’s battled injuries all season. He missed time early in the season because of an Achilles’ tendon injury, and sat out most of two games because of a strained groin. He played only a series against Arkansas on Oct. 17 and sat out the entire game the following week.

He returned against Georgia and finished with a team-high 10 tackles. He also intercepted a pass and returned it 5 yards for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

What he did to Ealey, though, overshadowed one of his best games of the season. Meyer said Spikes was retaliating for things that happened earlier in the game.

Ealey defended Spikes on Tuesday, saying he didn’t believe he should have been suspended. Ealey also said he was surprised the play drew so much attention.

Fifth-year senior Ryan Stamper is expected to replace Spikes in the starting lineup.

“I’m pretty sure that Stamper got my back, and my teammates really support this decision” Spikes said.

LOL..way to "get it right" Urb...
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    LOL..way to "get it right" Urb...
    While I agree with you... The NCAA signed-off on the penalty (therefore saying that they agree it was sufficient)... I think we all know that this deserved more either way.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    While I agree with you... The NCAA signed-off on the penalty (therefore saying that they agree it was sufficient)... I think we all know that this deserved more either way.
    The NCAA is weird about stuff like that...their big money makers will get some relief for sure.
    Hidden Content

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information