Thread: Field to be resodded

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Field to be resodded

Field to be resodded

Jeff Reed isn't the only one complaining about Heinz Field.

According to a report on the NFL Network Sunday, the Steelers' past two opponents, the Raiders and Patriots, complained to the league about the Heinz Field playing surface.

"The Patriots complained about field conditions last week and Raiders coaches have already registered a complaint in the pre-game here today at Heinz Field, according to a league source,'' the network reported. "The portion of the field between the hash marks between the 30s is pocked with soft spots and areas where the sod easily comes out."

Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly complained about the surface after the game.

"The field is absolutely atrocious," Kelly said. "They have to do something about that. They got big divots like they're playing golf out there. One time my shoe came off because I stepped in a hole."

Harrison wasn't complaining about the surface, but he did explain why he stayed down on the field and had to be attended to by trainers late in the game.

"The middle of that field is nothing [but] a sand pit, so when I hit the ground it all went into my eyes," he said.

The game Sunday was the last NFL game on that particular grass. The grass will be removed and new sod laid down starting Sunday.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Heinz Field will play host to the West Virginia-Pitt game Friday and four WPIAL championship games Saturday before the re-sodding takes place.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

http://www.post-gazette.net/pg/10326/1105208-66.stm
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Field to be resodded

Our new kicker hasn't complained. Seriously, that field does look a mess. Reminds me of a construction site where the surface gets all chewed up by heavy equipment, trucks and what have you.

Threads : 8

I don't understand this. Look at PSU's field...perfect and the weather has been about the same for both locations. Got to dosomething about this.

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The city, the Steelers, the Panthers and the WPIAL need to consider another location...pony up the money....build another stadium.....whatever it takes....so that Heinz field don't get used up so fast during the Steelers season. This has been going on for several years now.....Rooney's are looking like the laughing stock. As far as I know, I haven't heard another NFL team having field issues...for quite some time.

Arizona takes their grass outside for sun.

Threads : 3263

I believe I read somewhere that it was a conscious decision to have Pitt play at Heinz so as to incorporate it moreso into the city. Granted, I personally enjoyed the good 'ole years of walking "Cardiac Hill" to Pitt Stadium for the games, but this also has some qualities... Heinz has always been a problem, but as it's already been stated, other locations don't have the issues... While it may cause some problems after 4 high school games in one day, it's a nice faccet for the local schools to be able to finish their season at a location many idolize... There has GOT to be a better solution, as Pittsburgh is not the only location that this happens.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It seems like this is always an issue come November... I dont understand the rational for not finding a solution other than a home field advantage type thing? If you ask me, it doesnt offer any kind of advantage to anybody except the guys that sell the sod that gets laid every year in November. Either way, it reflects badly on the organization/city IMHO...

Regardless of the hotel capacity/market size, there would be no hope to get a SB in the Burgh if this **** continues!
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe I read somewhere that it was a conscious decision to have Pitt play at Heinz so as to incorporate it moreso into the city. Granted, I personally enjoyed the good 'ole years of walking "Cardiac Hill" to Pitt Stadium for the games, but this also has some qualities... Heinz has always been a problem, but as it's already been stated, other locations don't have the issues... While it may cause some problems after 4 high school games in one day, it's a nice faccet for the local schools to be able to finish their season at a location many idolize... [HIGH-LIGHT]There has GOT to be a better solution[/HIGH-LIGHT], as Pittsburgh is not the only location that this happens.
    I believe that solution is field turf. I know the Rooneys and players prefer natural grass,but the turfs today are no where near what was in T.R.S. I believe that's what they put down in Paul Brown Stadium. I remember the first season of P.B.S. they compared it to a cornfield,the grass surface was that bad,but with the field turf,it became a non issue.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I believe that solution is field turf. I know the Rooneys and players prefer natural grass,but the turfs today are no where near what was in T.R.S. I believe that's what they put down in Paul Brown Stadium. I remember the first season of P.B.S. they compared it to a cornfield,the grass surface was that bad,but with the field turf,it became a non issue.
    I've had the pleasure of digging my feet into the field turf that was put into my HS almamater (Twinsburg, OH), that **** is AMAZING... When I played varsity football there, there were literal puddles in 8 seperate spots on the field where the sprinkler systems were...It was a mess... The field turf is a god-send IHMO...although I havent had a chance (and for that matter never will) to play on the new surface. It seems very forgiving compared to the older-style artificial turfs that I've had the displeasure of playing on in my Al Bundy days... The old turf was the same **** that my grandma had on the front porch... No forgiveness and lots of rugburn!

Part of me likes having a natural surface for the Steelers, but with the amount of action that HF sees, it just makes sense to consider a change...

AGAIN, it is embarrassing!

Just another thought, the ****ty "Grandma's front porch" turf of 3 Rivers Stadium really seemed to compliment the team speed of the mid 90's teams. With, the youth/speed we have at WR, it could work to our advantage to change up the surface?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information