Thread: buckeyehoppy's reset on Roger Goodell

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default buckeyehoppy's reset on Roger Goodell

Note to mods: This is from my blog. It should prolly be in The NFL Room. But keep it here for a few days. It bears reading from the masses.

Wanna know where an average Joe fan sits with this waste of space that the NFL calls "The Commissioner"? Read this:

http://buckeyehoppysportspage.blogsp...t-players.html
    buckeyehoppy 2012 NHL Stanley Cup Pick-em' Contest Champion and 2013 Finalist!

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: buckeyehoppy's reset on Roger Goodell

I just saw you had this up. Nice to see you writing again. Once I get a few free minutes I'll check it out. we'll keep it over here for ya!
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

sjdrewk

Yep, great blog, Hoppy.....I was sitting with my friends Shawn and Joey(Both Fader' fans) yesterday after the Harrison roughing call and we were all in agreement when one of them said, Goodell might as well get it over with and just put flags on them and make it illegal to touch, tackle or even hurry the qb.

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I am no big Collinsworth fan,but I do believe he would make a fine Commish for the league. He's played, he can be un-biased, and he is not GODell.

GODell is ruining this league. I have not missed a game, either live or on TV, for too many years than I can remember. But this week, I found myself asking why I want to watch a water-downed version of the game I loved to play, and love to watch. I almost shut it off after the Harrison bull**** PF. I don't even feel good after a win anymore as I wait for the fines to come for penalties that should never have been called.

I used to wince when Korkie dropped back to pass. Now I wince when the D makes a great hit. It's just not right.
    Last edited by ScoreKeeper; Nov-22-2010 at 03:02 PM.

Threads : 413

My view is that if Roger Goodell ever wanted to making a lasting statement on the quality of the officiating in the NFL, he could do what Major League Baseball does and go to full-time officials who wouldn't be moonlighting as bank presidents or corporate executives, among other worthwhile life endeavors. They would be in charge of the on-field policing of a multi-billion dollar entertainment empire. That doesn't sound like a product that should be left in the hands of "weekend warriors". Officiating, at that level, isn't the place for those seeking a part-time job. Professional football requires professional officials. It requires those who would make the officiating of the game a full-time pursuit.
    Good blog hoppy, but I'm not sure I agree with this thinking. I don't really believe that the officials in the NFL today are incompetent (there are always exceptions). They are supposed to be the "chosen few" and have lots of experience at other levels to even get this far. What I do believe to be the issue is the continual and befuddling edicts coming from the commissioner's office about what is to be called and what isn't. Whether it's a full time official or our current part timers, I think the confusion would take place anyway. This is like no different than the crap we get from our government leaders. Spend more money when the problem is staring you in the face. Get a qualified commissioner who can clearly communicate and the problem should take of itself.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

sjdrewk

We've always complained about the level of officiating but now matters are worse, Goodell has the refs so flag happy that they throw a flag on almost every play. That in itself is ruining the game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I just saw you had this up. Nice to see you writing again. Once I get a few free minutes I'll check it out. we'll keep it over here for ya!
    I haven't had loads of time to sit and do any writing. That should free up once I finish finals in a few weeks. Just figured this to be too important to pass up.

My cousin, who's a Browns fan, took a crack at Harrison's hit and I had to go there. Fouts even said it was borderline at best. This is coming from a guy who used to play the position... and he was defending Harrison. And it did cost us a TD. Not that it made a big diff.

But what if it was called on Oakland? There goes a chance to get back in the game. Then, all the naysayers, haters and Clowns sycophants would say "The Steelers were lucky. If it wasn't for that PF, they would've gotten back in the game." And that's why these refs need to dial it way down on these QB hits. At a certain point, the game just needs to be played and not over-officiated.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great blog, Hoppy....

Completely agree on the "full time" officials... MLB has 'em, as does the NBA and NHL... The NFL is the only pro sport that does not, and it just doesn't make any sense to me.

... Wish you'd consider writing some original material for the board here... We could easily put you on the "writers" list, then your articles would be posted to not only the forum but main page as well.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Great blog, Hoppy....

Completely agree on the "full time" officials... MLB has 'em, as does the NBA and NHL... The NFL is the only pro sport that does not, and it just doesn't make any sense to me.

... Wish you'd consider writing some original material for the board here... We could easily put you on the "writers" list, then your articles would be posted to not only the forum but main page as well.
    I don't have loads of time right now. But, like I was saying to Kip, that'll ease up in about three weeks. I'll also be taking some vaca at the end of the year, freeing up that much more time.

The way I have my school schedule structured next term will afford more time in general. Just hope the Steelers will dial it up and make that big push in the playoffs. If we can get through the AFC, we should head to Dallas as favorites.

Thanx for the vote of confidence, NKy.

Threads : 413

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Well, my first comment is that the NBA officials suck. They wouldn't know a violation if it smacked them in the face.

But to your point about full time officials, MLB plays 162 games + preseason which is another 20 or so + playoffs. The NHL plays 82 games + a ****load of playoff games. The NBA plays 82 games + preseason and playoffs. These seasons span anywhere from from 7 to 10 months. The NFL on the other hand is 16 games + 4 preseason and a limited amount of playoffs. The season is about 5 1/2 months long. Just doesn't justify it in my mind.

The quality of the officiating has nothing to do with permanent or temporary officials. It has everything to do, IMO, with the confusion over the rules being instituted by the commissioner's office and to some extent by the rules committee.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 1

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Well, my first comment is that the NBA officials suck. They wouldn't know a violation if it smacked them in the face.

But to your point about full time officials, MLB plays 162 games + preseason which is another 20 or so + playoffs. The NHL plays 82 games + a ****load of playoff games. The NBA plays 82 games + preseason and playoffs. These seasons span anywhere from from 7 to 10 months. The NFL on the other hand is 16 games + 4 preseason and a limited amount of playoffs. The season is about 5 1/2 months long. Just doesn't justify it in my mind.

The quality of the officiating has nothing to do with permanent or temporary officials. It has everything to do, IMO, with the confusion over the rules being instituted by the commissioner's office and to some extent by the rules committee.
    If they made the officials full time rather than part time and paid them accordingly this job would fall under the "good work if you can get it" category. By making them full time you begin to get people viewing it as a career from the time they officiate their first peewee football game and over time the quality of officiating would increase.

Guys (and gals) would be plying their craft with an eye to a six month work year on the field and then an off season regimen to maintain their conditioning and football acumen. The NFL is 9 billion dollar industry. There's plenty of money to be used to pay full-time officials and everyone would still be millionaires.

I don't see any reason not to have full-time officials.

Papillon

Threads : 3

Say what you want about Godell, he is the commish, he's going to stay the commish and the owners are going to back him. Everyone here has the same misconception about football ownership. IT IS NOT ABOUT THE GAME! It is about the dollar that the game brings. Over 70% of the fortune 500 CEO's are accountants! Why? They think with their calculators and NOT with their hearts! Godell is EXACTLY what the owners want. Throughout this "conspiracy theory" that most Pittsburghers believe is ongoing, how many times has Art Rooney II commented on it? ZERO! Even with all of the recent crying about concussions and conspiracy theories has the viewership declined? Is every Steeler game sold out? Do the Steelers still sell a **** load of merchandice? Absolutley! 95% of the fans never played organized football (high school, college, pros) yet everyone here knows how bad a job Godell is doing! You want to know how bad? The league could care less about a lock out next year! The ownership groups will still make money and they will still keep Godell as the commish. I think is sucks as well but remember the most important rule...football makes money.

Threads : 60

Collinsworth hates the Steelers, he will tell you that off camera and heck, sometimes on camera. You need to get a commisoner every four years. If he turns out to be a tool like Goodell at least you know his days are numbered. In any event, Collinsworth is not the answer either. If you are going to get an ex-player get one that came from a Super Bowl winning team because I doubt he will be carrying ill emotions about what team used to kick the crap out of them every season. can't have any ex patricheats, they'll find away to cheat some more.

• Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information