Thread: 'Field of Screams'

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default 'Field of Screams'

North Shore's 'Field of Screams'
    By: Mike Bires
    Beaver County Times
    Tuesday November 23, 2010

PITTSBURGH — Jeff Reed isn’t the only guy who says the turf at Heinz Field is a mess.

There were two new complaints Sunday, one by Steelers linebacker James Harrison and the other by Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Soft and sandy turf conditions actually stopped Harrison in the fourth quarter when it appeared he had been injured. As it turned out, however, Harrison was not hurt.

“No, just a little sand,” Harrison explained. “You know the middle of that field is nothing but a sand pit. So when I hit the ground, it just all went into my eyes.”[/HIGH-LIGHT]

After he missed a 26-yard field goal in the Nov. 14 loss to the Patriots, Reed used the poor field conditions as an excuse. Two days later, Reed was cut.

Kelly, too, was critical of the Heinz Field grass Sunday.

[HIGH-LIGHT]“The field is absolutely atrocious,” Kelly said. “They have to do something about that. They got big divots like they’re playing golf out there. One time my shoe came off because I stepped in a hole.”[/HIGH-LIGHT]

An NFL spokesman refuted a report from the NFL Network that claimed the Patriots and Raiders have both filed complaints to the league office about the Heinz Field playing surface.

“It’s not accurate,” said Greg Aiello, NFL vice president for public relations. “Our office received no such complaints.”

[HIGH-LIGHT]The Steelers will re-sod Heinz Field, but only after this weekend’s full schedule of games.

On Friday, Pitt hosts West Virginia. On Saturday, all four WPIAL championship games will be played there.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Monday at his weekly press conference, Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt was asked about the Heinz Field turf. He took the diplomatic approach.

“The last time we were there, it wasn’t bad,” Wannstedt said of the Oct. 30 game against Louisville.

“I mean, it has some wear and tear, obviously. But we line up and play. I wouldn’t even comment at this point. Whatever the conditions are, both teams got to play on it.”

The Steelers don’t play again at Heinz Field until they host the Bengals on Dec. 12. Their next two games are on the road, this Sunday against the Bills (2-8) and Dec. 5 against the Ravens (7-3).

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...f-screams.html
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: 'Field of Screams'

There are simply too many games played at Heinz Field for our terrible turf to hold up.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There are simply too many games played at Heinz Field for our terrible turf to hold up.
    I'm sorry, but field turf is really the only answer because they will never, nor should they, limit the number of games on that field...

... Did the Steelers organization pay for the entire thing themselves?... No... So they are not entitled to keep it only for themselves... Just my opinion.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Heinz Field turf again catching heat
    By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Grumbling and questions about the turf at Heinz Field has become a November ritual, yet the Steelers have no intention of making significant changes to their home playing surface.

[IMGL]http://i55.tinypic.com/2ym9lpy.jpg[/IMGL]And they probably won't be pressured by the NFL to do so despite renewed criticism -- and James Harrison's admission that he had to leave Sunday's game briefly because of the field conditions.

"The middle of the field is nothing but a sand pit," the Steelers outside linebacker said, "so when I hit the ground it just all went into my eyes."

A week after kicker Jeff Reed cited moving turf as the reason he missed a 26-yard field goal, perhaps hastening his exit from the Steelers, Oakland Raiders defensive tackle Tommy Kelly took a more pointed shot at the weathered playing surface.

"They got big divots like we are playing golf out there," Kelly said after the Raiders were beaten, 35-3. "My shoe came off one time because my foot was stuck in the ground. You got professional groundskeepers here?"

The answer to that question is "yes." And they will be busy re-sodding the field after five games are played starting Friday with the "Backyard Brawl" and ending late Saturday night after the last of four WPIAL championship contests is decided.

That is standard procedure, a Steelers spokesman said Monday, and something that had been planned well in advance of the latest scrutiny field has received.

The grounds crew will have two weeks to get the re-sodded field ready. The Steelers don't play at home until Dec. 12 and Pitt finishes its season at Cincinnati.

The Steelers have resisted making significant changes. Any change would likely require switching from natural grass -- the turf is a mixture of four types of Kentucky Bluegrass -- to an artificial surface.

The field is not popular with players, who rated it the NFL's worst natural playing surface in a 2008 survey.

According to multiple reports, the New England Patriots and Raiders complained to the NFL about the Heinz Field surface. But no official complaint has been submitted to the league's game operations department, spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email.

Aiello said the league is monitoring conditions at Heinz Field. But, he added, the league typically does that with any grass surface that receives "heavy traffic" such as what will take place this weekend, "to assist clubs and ensure the quality of the field."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_710534.html

Threads : 70

Heinz Field turf is a hybrid. It's a cross, ah, of Bluegrass, Kentucky Bluegrass, Featherbed Bent, and Northern California Sensemilia. The amazing stuff about this is, that you can play 4 football games on it in all day, take it home and just get stoned to the bejeezus-belt that night on this stuff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information