Pitt, WVU squads will be in combat uniforms
By Kevin Gorman, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, November 23, 2010

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Pitt and West Virginia wear Nike Pro Combat uniforms exclusively for the Backyard Brawl, threads specially customized for 10 schools to reflect their character, culture and traditions for nationally televised noon kickoff Friday at Heinz Field on ABC. The uniforms were unveiled in New York City in September. Pitt's design details, according to Nike, have "notched team gold jersey numbers and stencil stripe on the helmet (that) evoke steel I-beams in reference to Pittsburgh's steel industry." "The jerseys say it all," Pitt senior defensive end Jabaal Sheard said. "Everybody that's around this game loves to play in games like this. This is the game you live for. It's going to be a huge crowd. It's Senior Night -- I know the seniors are going to step up and play; it's our last home game in front of our crowd -- and there's a lot at stake right now."

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] To accommodate the shortened week, Pitt accelerated its schedule by taking Sunday off and practicing Monday, which the Panthers typically have off. But Pitt players are all about sacrifice during Brawl week, even if that means forsaking the traditional Thanksgiving turkey dinner. "This is West Virginia week. We'll eat Thanksgiving dinner after," senior left tackle Jason Pinkston said. "You don't worry about Thanksgiving dinner the night before. All you think about is West Virginia. No turkey on Thursday, just studying playbooks. They'll have turkey if you want it, but I typically don't eat it because it makes you tired."

[HIGH-LIGHT][/HIGH-LIGHT] Pinkston also said that this is a week where players forget about their bumps and bruises and are pumped about playing their rival. "This is the best game of the year," Pinkston said. "You get to play West Virginia. There's nothing better. When you wake up in the morning the West Virginia week, you feel great. A couple other games, you might wake up and feel sore. You don't feel sore this week. You can't feel sore. You've got to be your best this week."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_710527.html