Threads : 440

Default Mendy hasn't rushed for 100 yards in last 6 games

since Ben has returned...

Harris: Ben, offense finally finding balance

By John Harris
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Call me confused.

Ben Roethlisberger is back. So why were the Steelers in their must-win mode against the Oakland Raiders?

The Steelers offense faced a crossroads in Roethlisberger's sixth game, which surprised me.

When Roethlisberger replaced Charlie Batch, we were told the offense would take off. That combining Ben with a historically strong defense would automatically make the Steelers a team to be feared. And that even if the defense slacked off, Roethlisberger's big-play ability would make the difference.

If Michael Vick can elevate the quarterback position in Philadelphia while also repairing his reputation, Roethlisberger can do the same with the Steelers.

So what gives with all the teeth-gnashing following last week's loss to New England? So what if Tom Brady picked the defense apart? The Steelers have their own Brady in Roethlisberger.

Working with a private quarterback coach during his four-game suspension, Roethlisberger left nothing to chance. He was focused, in the best shape of his career and ready to put the past behind him.

That's why I'm confused. Instead of the offense taking off under Roethlisberger, it was at a standstill before Sunday's impressive 35-3 blowout win at Heinz Field.

It was good to see. But why did it take so long?

It shouldn't have taken six weeks for the offense to dominate while finally blending the pass and run. And not so fast. Even after passing for 275 yards, rushing for 55 more and totaling four touchdowns with no interceptions against the Raiders, Roethlisberger said he wasn't impressed with the effort.

"It's funny, because if you ask me, I felt like we didn't have a good offensive performance," Roethlisberger said. "I felt that we were OK."

Uh-oh. Here we go again.

There's always something with this offense. Either injuries or penalties or flat-out confusion about whether the Steelers are a passing team or a running team.

Compared with the defense, the offense needs a hug from Dr. Phil.

Love it or hate it, you know what you're getting from Dick LeBeau's defense. They're going to play a 3-4, no matter what. They're going to stop the run first and take their chances against the pass. Even when they're missing injured starting defensive ends Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel, they can suck it up and limit Oakland to no touchdowns and 182 total yards.

The Steelers offense has a split personality. Running back Rashard Mendenhall was featured heavily through the first four games. As a result, Mendenhall responded with two 100-yard rushing performances and ranked among the league leaders.

The offense ran to set up the pass the way it did under former coach Bill Cowher. Everyone knew their role.

When Roethlisberger returned, roles changed.

Mendenhall's role was diminished. He hasn't rushed for 100 yards in the past six games.

Clearly, the offense is built around Roethlisberger. The Steelers aren't paying him all that money to hand off to Mendenhall.

Sunday's game was a good start. It was an opportunity to fulfill the lofty expectations set for Roethlisberger -- something to build on for the remainder of the season.

Roethlisberger said last week that he and veteran wide receiver Hines Ward decided to become more vocal leaders. That surprised me. I naively assumed that Roethlisberger's two Super Bowl victories and $102 million contract validated his leadership status. Even though he wasn't voted a team captain this season, money talks.

Mike Tomlin was quick to discuss Roethlisberger's leadership role for one of the few times in his coaching tenure following the Oakland win. Roethlisberger seconded Tomlin's words.

"That's what we need from guys that have been here before," Roethlisberger said about becoming a more vocal leader. "When guys do that, you see the younger guys start to go with it."

The Steelers don't have their full complement of offensive linemen, so that probably means Roethlisberger will have to watch his back when dropping back to pass. He displayed his full arsenal of accurate throws and timely scrambles against the Raiders. It was good to see. The Steelers will need to see even more from their franchise quarterback to be all they can be.

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_710543.html

Threads : 60

Default Re: Mendy hasn't rushed for 100 yards in last 6 games

They ask why the running game is less at this point than earlier without Ben and I have a couple of guesses to that question.

1. Injuries

2. We are playing teams now with more games under their belts.

3. There are more tapes of our offense now to watch.

4. We are playing better defenses.

Threads : 197

He does have a 99 yard game, though. What's the difference?

He actually only has 2 100 yard games all year and the first one was thanks to that 50 yard TD in OT. He only ran for 70 yards on 21 carries in regulation. The Cincinnati game was probably his second best running performance of the season behind the Tampa Bay game if you factor in how he played over the entire course of the game.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think he had a good game against the Raiders I don't know how he isn't getting the yardage. I dont have a problem with way mendy is running honestly. Between the oline and play calling I'd say this is the problem.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As a Steelers fan, I'm not too concerned about this... He's playing well, not setting the league on fire, but he's doing his job.

As a fantasy owner, I wouldnt mind those 60yd games turn into 100yd games, but as long as he gets into the endzone, I'm cool with it too.

I'm sure he could've broken 100 against the Raiders if we didnt turn to #21 late in the game
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 5
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

IIRC, wasn't Mendy on pace (during the first 4 games) to touch/run the ball over 400 times this year? For whatever reason, I recall this stat and it scared me. We all know how well running backs do after a 400+ carry season. If you don't, just ask Larry Johnson.

I think they used Mendy hard and early this season for obvious reasons and they are limiting his touches so he is there for the long haul.

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    IIRC, wasn't Mendy on pace (during the first 4 games) to touch/run the ball over 400 times this year? For whatever reason, I recall this stat and it scared me. We all know how well running backs do after a 400+ carry season. If you don't, just ask Larry Johnson.

I think they used Mendy hard and early this season for obvious reasons and they are limiting his touches so he is there for the long haul.
    Great point. Gotta keep him healthy.

Threads : 70
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    Great point. Gotta keep him healthy.
    x2!
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Threads : 102

Quote Originally Posted by GeoPittsburghFan View Post

With logic like this, you need to post here more.

Threads : 29

If not for a couple of questionable holding calls he cracks 100 easy vs the Raiders.

Mendenhall being slowed by opposing teams' defenses

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Saturday, November 27, 2010

Rashard Mendenhall
    Chaz Palla | Tribune-Review

• Rashard Mendenhall hasn't had a 100-yard rushing performance since carrying 19 times for 143 yards and a touchdown against Tampa Bay on Sept. 26 — a span pf eight games. Mendenhall said he isn't anxious to break the 100-yard barrier again after doing it twice in his first three games. "We have to execute as an offense better in our running game, and those kind of games will happen,'' Mendenhall said following Friday's practice. "You'd like to have that. We're taking steps forward, but our test is on Sundays. That's when we'll know.''

• If the Steelers offensive line remains status quo Sunday afternoon at Buffalo with Ramon Foster at right guard, it will mark the second consecutive week that unit has started. Due to injuries, the offensive line has featured five different starting lineups.

• Defensive end Brett Keisel is finally recovered from a nagging hamstring injury. Keisel missed two starts, then returned against Cincinnati, only to leave early in that game and miss the next two starts. "It's been frustrating to sit on the sideline,'' Keisel said. "I'm definitely excited to get back in the mix and push through December.''

• Rookie wide receiver Antonio Brown, who received his first action last week after being inactive for five consecutive games, is out with a knee injury. Tight end Matt Spaeth (concussion) is doubtful.

• Buffalo guard Eric Wood (ankle) is out. Former Steelers third-round draft pick Kraig Urbik, who was released prior to the start of the regular season, will start. Defensive tackle Spencer Johnson (hamstring) is out. Cornerback Terrence McGee (knee) and running back C.J. Spiller (hamstring) are questionable.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_711163.html

Buffalo's run defense may be just what the doctor ordered for what ails Mendy...

Breaking down Steelers vs. Bills

By Mark Kaboly
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Sunday, November 28, 2010

3 REASONS WHY THE STEELERS WILL WIN

1) Rashard Mendenhall — Mendenhall should dominate the NFL's worst rush defense. Buffalo is allowing 163.5 yards rushing per game and has allowed a 100-yard rusher in three of the past four games.

2) Ike Taylor — Taylor is having a Pro Bowl season and has forced the opposition to look toward the opposite direction that he's lined up. He hasn't had more than one pass breakup in any single game this year, which means teams are looking elsewhere.

3) Mike Wallace — Wallace has been unstoppable of late, going over 100 yards in each of the past three games and catching four touchdowns over that span. He is averaging 23 yards per catch and has a career high eight touchdowns.

3 REASONS WHY THE STEELERS WILL LOSE

1) Offensive line —The Steelers offensive line is at their breaking point due to injuries and could disintegrate at any time. At one point against the Raiders, they had four backups on the field with two of them being undrafted guys.

2) Fitzpatrick/Johnson connection — Ryan Fitzpatrick has found a favorite target in receiver Steve Johnson. The two hooked up for three touchdowns against the Bengals last week and could provide matchup problems for the Steelers.

3) Penalties —The Steelers got away with an inordinate amount of penalties a week ago. They set a team record getting called for 14 penalties for 163 yards. Before last week, they were averaging 5.3 penalties per game.

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 11289.html

Threads : 22

He's 8th in the league in rushing yards, and averaging 4 yds/carry.

And, we are winning.

As long as he doesn't look like ****, I don't care about that 100yd thing. Does it really matter the yards if he is being productive and going forward?

At least it appears he very rarely gets dropped behind the line

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information