Thread: Steelers’ Tomlin won’t criticize NFL, officiating

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers’ Tomlin won’t criticize NFL, officiating

Steelers’ Tomlin won’t criticize NFL, officiating
    By ALAN ROBINSON, AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH (AP)—Fines and flags, punches and puzzlement.

The Pittsburgh Steelers have faced a number of potential distractions since linebacker James Harrison’s helmet-to-helmet hit on Browns receiver Mohamed Massaquoi last month helped trigger the NFL’s stricter stance against dangerous play. They’ve been fined multiple times, and flagged for a record amount of penalty yardage.

While the Steelers are complaining that the toughened-up rules are being redefined almost weekly, causing confusion about what hits are legal and which will draw punishment, their coach doesn’t want any more debate about what is getting called—and what isn’t.

Tomlin, urging his team to move on, refused Tuesday to criticize the NFL for not suspending Oakland defensive end Richard Seymour or for the Steelers’ club-record 163 yards in penalties during a 35-3 rout of the Raiders on Sunday.

“I don’t have a reaction,” Tomlin of the NFL’s decision only to fine Seymour $25,000 for punching quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “I tend to focus on the things that are relevant to our team moving forward, and the things that we can control. That doesn’t fall into either category. Really, that is between Richard Seymour and the NFL office.”

Tomlin’s implied message to his players is to focus only on what they can control, beginning with their preparation for Sunday’s game at Buffalo (2-8).

“I know there’s been some heated reaction from players and coaches around the league in terms of how the game is being officiated. Very rarely do I view guys being pleased with officiating when it doesn’t go your way,” Tomlin said. “Such is life, man. We’re not going to worry about those things. We’re going to prepare ourselves for the challenges in front of us.”

Tomlin’s remarks likely were intended to defuse any anger his players felt about Seymour’s punishment consisting only of a fine that is one-third as much as the $75,000 penalty that Harrison paid. While Seymour was ejected for his infraction, Harrison was not penalized for the Massaquoi hit.

Harrison, among others, wondered if the Steelers (7-3) have been more closely scrutinized than other teams since the stricter rule enforcement began. If the Steelers had delivered some of the same hits that Oakland did, Harrison said, “I think there would have been a lot more penalties called, they would have kicked five or six of us out of the game.”

Still, Tomlin hinted he was happy the Steelers didn’t cause the Seymour situation to escalate.

“Emotions are going to get away from you when something like that occurs,” Tomlin said. “You hope something like that never occurs in a football game, but it did. For the most part I thought our guys were able to gather themselves quickly after that sequence of events and get back to what we intended to do, which was playing winning football.”

To do that, Tomlin repeated that he doesn’t want the Steelers changing their mindset or on-field approach in response to the league’s decision to emphasize player safety.

So far, Tomlin’s only critical comments aimed at the NFL came when he refuted vice president Ray Anderson’s suggestion that Harrison pulled up and didn’t deliver a possible big hit the week after the Massaquoi play. Tomlin called those comments “insulting.”

“We’re not going to get overly concerned about the penalties, or the nature or state of the NFL in terms of how things are being officiated,” Tomlin said. “All we’re going to simply do is play the game extremely hard, play it as fairly as we can, play it within the rules, and play to win. Those are the things that are at the forefront of my mentality, those are the things I want at the forefront of our team’s mentality. Those are the things we control. So we’re going to stay right there.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...ers-tomlin-nfl

Ya know MT, every once in awhile you have to give an opinion on something that relates to your team.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers’ Tomlin won’t criticize NFL, officiating

This is one of those times when filing for future use might be a good idea. There might be some private discussions, but sometimes it's got to be stashed just in case.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 0

Tomlin is not Stupid. All complaining would do is give Goondell another reason to fine the team and put more focus on the STEELERS. **** Goondell and his changing of the game we love.

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    relevant to our team moving forward
    Why does Tomlin always have to say "moving forward" ? HuH?? Where else are you going to move Mikey?

Threads : 440

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    Why does Tomlin always have to say "moving forward" ? HuH?? Where else are you going to move Mikey?

thanks for letting us know in which direction we're moving Mikey, your communication skills are second to none! moving forward is so much better than sideways or backwards

Threads : 407

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This is one of those times when filing for future use might be a good idea. There might be some private discussions, but sometimes it's got to be stashed just in case.
    I guess I should have clarified myself, I did not mean that he should make a comment about the penalties or the refs, but he could have voiced some opinion even if not AT Seymour, but in reference to equality in justice comparing types of penalities. Guess his QB gettin decked didn't mean much to him.

Threads : 1632

Quote Originally Posted by Blackandgold View Post
    Well we're movin' on ...

Threads : 440

Ward: Would Seymour punishment be same if he hit another QB?

NFL.com
    Published: Nov. 25, 2010 at 01:47 p.m.

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin refused to criticize the NFL on Tuesday, one day after it fined but didn't suspend Oakland Raiders defensive end Richard Seymour for his after-the-play swing at quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. Then Tomlin urged his team to move forward.

Tomlin's star receiver, Hines Ward, either didn't listen or didn't hear. During his weekly show Tuesday night on WDVE-AM, Ward questioned why Seymour wasn't suspended, according to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

The NFL fined Seymour $25,000 on Monday, but Ward wondered whether or not the league would have handed down a harsher penalty if a quarterback with more star power, like New England's Tom Brady or Indianapolis' Peyton Manning, was the target.

"That's my beliefs, and I wanted to put my beliefs on my radio show," Ward said.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had a quick response to Ward's question.

"We all know the answer to that one," he said Wednesday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... another-qb

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

"That's my beliefs, and I wanted to put my beliefs on my radio show," Ward said.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger had a quick response to Ward's question.

"We all know the answer to that one," he said Wednesday.
    110% truth right there!!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information