Thread: Steelers can’t afford to overlook Buffalo Bills

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers can’t afford to overlook Buffalo Bills

Steelers can’t afford to overlook Buffalo Bills

Posted by eric.schmidt November 24,
    http://network.yardbarker.com/nfl/ar..._bills/3669453

2010 Last Sunday, the Pittsburgh Steelers rebounded from their devastating loss to the New England Patriots and destroyed the Oakland Raiders 35-3, but they can not afford to over look the Buffalo Bills. The Pittsburgh Steelers really need the win they earned last Sunday in order to keep pace with the Baltimore Ravens in the AFC North.

In what could be considered a classic trap game, the Buffalo Bills have nothing much to play for this season other than pride, and are winners of their last two games. The Pittsburgh Steelers could enter this Sunday’s game with their heads thinking of their match-up in two weeks with co-division leading Baltimore. But that would not be wise.

The Buffalo Bills have found a new offensive combination. Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick and WR Steve Johnson. Fitzpatrick is coming off his second four touchdown game of the season and has five multi passing touchdown games this season. Fitzpatrick has been solid since being named the starter for the Bills and has managed to lead the Bills into overtime on the road against the Baltimore Ravens and the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Baltimore Ravens host the Tampa Bay Buccaneers this week. This is not the 2009 version of the Buccaneers. While they are starting seven rookies, the Buccaneers on the road are fearless, collecting a 4-1 record away from Tampa so far this season. I am expecting a close game between the two and a Tampa Bay upset of the Ravens is not out of the question.

If Tampa were to upset the Ravens, and Pittsburgh wins out over the Bills, the Steelers could then head into week 13 looking at taking a two game lead over the Ravens. The Ravens-Buccaneers game has been flexed to a 4pm start time, so the Steelers won’t have to be watching any scoreboards in Buffalo. Simply stay focused, and take care of the task at hand, beating the Bills. Worry about the Ravens in week 13.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers can’t afford to overlook Buffalo Bills

Last year, I think we overlooked several teams - and it didn't end terribly well.

The Bills ***** slapped the Bengals last weekend and they have a bit of a passing game, which worries me a little.

Man coverage for the majority of our D on Sunday and let's try to put this one to bed the way we did with the Raiders (maybe not quite as ill-tempered a game, but the Bills will want to compete, certainly after hurting Cincinnati). Let's not forget that they gave the Ratbirds a hell of a day, too.

Every team has its strengths and we have to eliminate those or contain them 'til they squeak. I'm truly hoping this doesn't turn into a trap game. Any given Sunday and all that.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 26

I expect a repeat of the raider game defensively. The defense knows the oline is weak and will need to carry the team.I don't like our chances if we have to play catch up.

Threads : 440

Buffalo's Chan gang shows improvement

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
    Tuesday November 23, 2010 11:46 PM

PITTSBURGH — Absolutely do not — under any circumstance — underestimate the Buffalo Bills.

That’s the message coach Mike Tomlin will repeat over and over again this week to his Steelers. They may have an AFC North Division showdown in Baltimore ahead of them on Dec. 5. But they dare not look past this Sunday’s game in Buffalo.

It’s hard to imagine a 2-8 football team feeling too good about itself yet such is the case with the Bills.

Despite an 0-8 start, Chan Gailey never lost his team and the Bills never lost faith in their first-year coach.

“I talk to these guys about believing in each other,” said Gailey, the Steelers’ offensive coordinator in 1996-97. “If they believe in each other and believe in themselves, we’ve got some talent. We’ve got a chance to be a very good football team.”

The Bills have at least been good enough to win their past two games. They got their first win on Nov. 14 when they edged Detroit, 14-12. Then last week, they beat the Bengals in Cincinnati, 49-31. After trailing 31-14 at halftime, the Bills scored 35 unanswered points.

And before those two victories against last-place teams, the Bills played three contenders tough before ultimately losing. They lost by three at Baltimore (7-3), by three at Kansas City (6-4) and by three at home to Chicago (7-3).

“They’re a warm football team, I’m sure they’re looking to get hot,” Tomlin said. “I’m sure they’re excited about us coming in there.”

Over the last 16 years, Buffalo fans haven’t had much to get excited about.

After making it to the Super Bowl four straight seasons from 1990-93 when Jim Kelly ran the K-Gun offense, the Bills have only qualified for the playoffs four times. They haven’t been to the playoffs since 1999. Their last playoff win came in a 1995 wild-card game.

In an attempt to bring respectability back to a once-proud franchise, the Bills hired Gailey, an offensive-minded type who had been a head coach twice before. He coached Dallas in 1998-99 and led the Cowboys to the playoffs both years. He also coached at Georgia Tech from 2002-2007 and became the first coach in school history to lead the Yellow Jackets to bowl appearances in each of his first six seasons on the job.

Gailey, who was also a candidate for the opening in Pittsburgh before the Steelers hired Tomlin, says his new team is making a steady progression.

Advertisement
    “(Are we) where we want to be right now, I can promise you we’re not,” Gailey said. “Do I think we’re getting better? I think we’re getting better as a football team.”

One of the first changes Gailey made upon his arrival in Buffalo was on the defensive side of the ball. He switched the Bills from a 4-3 base defense to a 3-4.

Then after an 0-2 start, Gailey cut starting quarterback Trent Edwards and replaced him with Ryan Fitzpatrick. In his eight starts, Fitzpatrick has played relatively well. He’s tied for seventh in the NFL with 18 touchdown passes.

“Guys are starting to believe that we can do some good things,” Fitzpatrick said. “Hopefully, we’ll continue to build on that. We’ve got a tough one this week. It’s a big challenge, but it’s a chance for us to see where we are.”

For the 7-3 Steelers, who are favored to beat the Bills by 6, it’s a chance to remain among the elite teams in the AFC.

“We got a big week this week,” Tomlin said. ”We’re going to Buffalo, getting back in the business of playing on the road. We don’t take that lightly.”

BUFFALO SOLDIERS

Local ties to the Bills:

Paul Posluszny

Linebacker,

fourth-year pro

A former star at Hopewell High School and Penn State University where he was a two-time All-American, “Poz” plays inside linebacker in the Bills’ 3-4 defense. Despite missing two games earlier this season with a sprained knee, he’s eighth in the NFL in tackles (60 solos, 28 assists). Posluszny was the Bills’ second-round pick in the 2007 NFL Draft.

Joe D’Alessandris

Offensive line coach, first year

A 1972 Center High School graduate, D’Alesssandris is a journeyman who’s coached for several college teams and in four different pro leagues. He was Chan Gailey’s O-line coach at Georgia Tech from 2002-2007. He got his first NFL job as Kansas City’s assistant O-line coach in 2008 when Gailey was hired as the Chiefs’ offensive coordinator.

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...provement.html

Threads : 60

I see a high scoring game on both sides. I have no confidence in our defense when ever we face a very good quarterback or a gun slinging quarterback. They practically made Browns McCoy look like Dan Marino. They made Tom Brady look like ( Joe Montanna, Marino and Brady himself rolled all into one. )

I'm glad the Steelers have a 7-3 record and that we crushed the Raiders but, I do not get too excited over our wins when I know we have teams that we can not beat like the Patriots.

Threads : 52
    Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see a high scoring game on both sides. I have no confidence in our defense when ever we face a very good quarterback or a gun slinging quarterback. They practically made Browns McCoy look like Dan Marino. They made Tom Brady look like ( Joe Montanna, Marino and Brady himself rolled all into one. )

I'm glad the Steelers have a 7-3 record and that we crushed the Raiders but, I do not get too excited over our wins when I know we have teams that we can not beat like the Patriots.
    bills ahhh.....i dont know..

Bills are on a high right now and so are the Steelers ( probably ) The Steelers are a benchmark for teams like the Bills and they will be fired up. We also have William Gay, McFadden playing poorly along with a busted up O-line.
    Actually, our o-line might be better except for the loss of Starks. I like Foster over Essexs. I mean we should win without a problem but, I thought like that last year too.

Until I see our secondary stop giving up the yardage and falling apart in the fourth for a few games I, will be more positive.

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It seems that on quite a few occasions, teams with something to prove play a blinder when they get a game with us.
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

No time for a letdown

By Teresa Varley - Steelers.com

The Steelers won’t let the Bills 2-8 record fool them as they know they are going to have their hands full in Buffalo on Sunday.

“They have been in every game,” said wide receiver Antwaan Randle El. “We are not overlooking them, more so the way they played the last five or six games. The last five games they are 2-3 and the three games they lost were by a total of about nine points.

“We are not overlooking them by any means. In the last two games they came back and won. They aren’t a team you overlook. You don’t want to overlook any team, but they certainly have given us reason not to overlook them.”

After starting off 0-8, the Bills have won their last two games and the Steelers know they can’t let their guard down.

“They are a good football team,” said quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. “They have a good defense. We have to bear down and focus.

“I think they are opportunistic. Whenever they have an interception it seems like they never drop it, they always catch them and they always make the most of their plays. Seems like these last couple weeks in particular is the most film we have watched and they are really getting after the quarterback and making as many plays as they can.”

Former Steelers and Hall of Fame cornerback Mel Blount was at practice on Wednesday and shared his thoughts on the NFL’s crackdown on illegal hits.

“What I think is the Commissioner and the National Football League are trying to do something to enforce the rule and make sure player safety is a priority,” said Blount. “Some of the things and some of the hits you see that these guys are getting fined for are just clean football hits. I think there is a fine line there. I do support player safety. Nobody is going to always agree on the actions that are taken.

“I think from the things we have seen from some of the hits James Harrisonhas had and some of the fines around the league, I think they are questionable. I think there has to be some common sense used. When you start fining someone $50,000 or $25,000 - that is serious money. Hopefully the league and the rules committee can take a look at it this offseason and come up with something that is fair to the players. I think there have been some fines that have been unfair because guys have been just making football plays.”

There isn’t any better time than now in the minds of the players to start a winning streak that they hope will extend their season.

“In this league you have to go on runs,” said Roethlisberger. “You want to get hot and you want to get hot at the end of the year and you want to be playing your best football and that entails putting wins together and that is what we need to do. It’s that time of year where we need to start stacking up wins and start focusing on what you can do to be the best team. So that’s why it is important for us to come and play a good football game and give them our best shot.”

Steelers players were given off on Monday after soundly defeating the Raiders, a day that is normal slated for watching film from the day before.

But, despite getting the break, the defense still watched a portion of the game film, focusing only on the mistakes they made in a 35-3 dominating win.

“We just looked at all of the things we did wrong,” said linebacker James Farrior. “We had 25 plays that needed corrected. We usually have about the same amount each game. We always find something we can improve on. This game was no different. There were some things we left out there that we have to correct.”

One player who showed up good on film and in the eyes of his teammates was defensive end Ziggy Hood.

“Ziggy did a great job,” said Farrior. “He did a heck of a job, making plays all over the field. He was moving around pretty good.”

Offensive line coach Sean Kugler, who used to coach the Bills offensive line, is not just popular with the Steelers offensive linemen, but with other players as well.

“He is awesome,” said Roethlisberger. “What a great coach. You can see the line respects him and likes him as a coach. They are playing rejuvenated, better than I have seen in a long time and a lot has to do with him. He keeps the room light and fun, but they respect him and when it’s time to get down to business they can do that.”

Wide receiver Hines Ward is in his 13th NFL season and when he looks around the offensive huddle can’t believe how many young guys he sees.

“It’s very young,” said Ward. “Looking in the huddle, seeing Emmanuel (Sanders), Mike (Wallace), Rashard (Mendenhall) and (Maurkice) Pouncey, those guys are great talent. I am still coaching in the middle of the game. We will continue to grow. Those guys are great players. The more they develop, the better we will become as a unit.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article...a-4f9c9e270325

Steelers: We learned our lesson in '09

By: ALAN ROBINSON
    The Associated Press

There's an unwritten rule in the Pittsburgh Steelers' locker room this week: No peeking.

Months removed from winning the Super Bowl in 2009, the Steelers admittedly overlooked the worst-record teams on their schedule. They wound up losing to nearly all of them, falling to the Chiefs, Raiders and Browns _ bottom-of-the-standings teams that had six wins among them when they played the Steelers.

The ensuing five-game slide triggered by those losses ruined Pittsburgh's once-promising season following a 6-2 start and kept the Steelers out of the playoffs.

James Farrior and Hines Ward insist it won't happen again.

Ward flashed a puzzled look Wednesday when asked if he's worried the Steelers (7-3) might get caught looking ahead to next week's important game against Baltimore (7-3) and ignoring Sunday's game at Buffalo (2-8).

"To be honest, I didn't know we were playing Baltimore next week," Ward said Wednesday. "That's been our mindset, one week at a time. Last year overlooking Kansas City, overlooking Oakland, that's the reason we were on a five-game losing streak."

Last year, the Steelers' shortened offseason following their second Super Bowl victory in four seasons may have caused them to take shortcuts when the season started. With so many supposedly easy games bunched together in November and December, they acknowledge they didn't prepare properly. Once they started losing, they had a difficult time figuring how to get out of the slide.

"So we definitely can't be overlooking a team because its record is 2-8," Farrior said. "No way. We're definitely not going to overlook this game. They (the Bills) have just found ways to lose it at the end sometimes. Those guys put up a lot of points, so we're going to have to be on our horse this week."

The Steelers showed Sunday they may have learned their lesson from a year ago. A season after being upset by the Raiders at home, the Steelers manhandled Oakland on both sides of the ball during a 35-3 victory achieved despite a club-record 163 yards in penalties.

They followed their worst game of the season, a 39-26 loss to New England on Nov. 14, with perhaps their best. Ben Roethlisberger thinks that's a positive sign with six games remaining.

"In this league, that's what's so important, when you do get hot, do you go on those runs?" Roethlisberger said, suggesting it's time to go on one. "I think you don't want to do it too early in the year; you want to hit it at just the right time, which we've done in the years we've won the Super Bowl."

Cornerback Ike Taylor said the concentration and attention to detail must be the same for the Bills as it was for Oakland. Buffalo rallied from a 28-7 deficit to beat Cincinnati 49-31 on Sunday for its second successive victory.

Buffalo also lost in overtime to the Chiefs (13-10) and Ravens (37-34), and dropped close games to the Dolphins (15-10), Patriots (38-30) and Bears (22-19).

"Every game they've played, those guys (opponents) are leading their division, from Kansas City to Baltimore," Taylor said. "The majority of games have been overtimes, losses by three to five points. Forget what the record says, it's a good team."

The Steelers haven't forgotten Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick, who threw for 316 yards against Cincinnati, 299 against Chicago and 382 against Baltimore. They faced him during a pair of victories against Cincinnati in 2008, when he filled in for the injured Carson Palmer.

Then, a rattled Fitzpatrick didn't throw for more than 168 yards in either game. He also was sacked seven times during a 38-10 Pittsburgh victory at Heinz Field.

"We're going to have to have people in his face," Farrior said. "I don't think he really likes the pressure too much, so we're going to have to force him into some bad throws."

The Steelers have won seven of their last eight against the Bills, with only one loss since 1992.

November 24, 2010 05:35 PM

http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/news...son-in-09.html

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post

I agree. it's hard to get excited about this season knowing the minute we aren't facing teams like the Raiders, Bills & Panthers we are ****ed. Yes, we will have a nice 11-5 or 12-4 record for the Tomlin supporters but as for the games where the rubber meets the road or season is over. I have little faith we can beat the good teams in the playoffs.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    I agree. it's hard to get excited about this season knowing the minute we aren't facing teams like the Raiders, Bills & Panthers we are ****ed. Yes, we will have a nice 11-5 or 12-4 record for the Tomlin supporters but as for the games where the rubber meets the road or season is over. I have little faith we can beat the good teams in the playoffs

I like it, sounds like we will be ready on Sunday!

Latest Steelers RapidReports

Nov. 24, 2010 5:15 p.m. - Coach Mike Tomlin on Buffalo's 2-8 record: "We don't take this group lightly. We're not in a position to take anyone lightly. We're not that good." Steelers RapidReports

Nov. 24, 2010 5:09 p.m. - The Steelers will practice from 11:00 a.m to 1:00 p.m. on Thanksgiving day. "We are going about our business," coach Mike Tomlin said. "We will be practicing." Steelers RapidReports

Tags: Mike Tomlin

Nov. 24, 2010 4:53 p.m. - LB LaMarr Woodley and LT Max Starks both hosted turkey giveaways with all the trimmings, while CB William Gay hosted a dinner for the local women's shelter and for the homeless on Tuesday. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 24, 2010 4:52 p.m. - Coach Chan Gailey on Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger: "He might even be playing better since the suspension. He's checking the ball down more than he has ever done. He's not forcing the ball. He's staying out of bad situations. He's playing very, very well right now." Bills RapidReports
    Tags: Chan Gailey
    Nov. 24, 2010 4:48 p.m. - DE Ziggy Hood, a No. 1 draft choice in 2009, played his best game as a pro against Oakland. Hood, subbing for the injured Aaron Smith (tricpeps) was solid in run coverage and got some pressure on the QB despite not getting a sack. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 24, 2010 4:40 p.m. - The starting five offensive linemen against Oakland will suit up again Sunday against Buffalo. That means G Renardo Foster gets another start ahead of Trai Essex and Doug Legursky . Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 24, 2010 4:31 p.m. - Rookie WR Emmanuel Sanders has worked his way past Antwaan Randle-El as the No. 3 receiver and doesn't show any signs of giving it up. "He's made plays when given an oppportunity," coach Mike Tomlin said. "He continues to prove it's not too big for him." Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 24, 2010 4:29 p.m. - Coach Mike Tomlin on the play of RT Flozell Adams: "He's done maybe even better than we anticipated. He's an old dog learning a new trick, if you will, playing on the right side." Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 24, 2010 4:27 p.m. - The Ben Roethlisberger and Mike Wallace combo have combined for TD passes for 40 yards or more six times in just two seasons. That ties the Terry Bradshaw-to-John Stallworth combo in franchise history. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 24, 2010 4:25 p.m. - WR Antonio Brown has water on the knee and he will probably be inactive for Sunday's game with the Bills. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 24, 2010 4:05 p.m. - Not participating in practice on Wednesday: WR Antonio Brown (knee), SS Troy Polamalu (achilles), DE Aaron Smith (triceps), and TE Matt Spaeth (concussion). Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 24, 2010 3:58 p.m. - DE Justin Bannan , a nine-year pro, mentioned the likes of Joe Flacco and Ben Roethlisberger as QBs who started fast as NFL rookies, but gushed about the Rams’ Sam Bradford and his career start. “The guy looks like a seasoned veteran out there,” he said. Broncos RapidReports
    Tags: QB
    Nov. 24, 2010 3:51 p.m. - DT Richard Seymour issued a statement apologizing to his “teammates, fans and coach” for hitting Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger after a play Sunday and getting ejected: “This is an emotional game that sometimes triggers frustrated reactions. … I reacted in a way that was unprofessional to the game...” Raiders RapidReports
    Tags: DT • QB
    Nov. 23, 2010 1:51 p.m. - LB James Harrison could be looking at his fourth fine of the season after being flagged for a roughing the passer call against the Raiders. Harrison has already be fined three times this season for $100,000. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 23, 2010 1:35 p.m. - Coach Mike Tomlin when asked if G Ramon Foster has earned another start: "He did. I liked his intensity and the physical presence he provides." Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 23, 2010 1:27 p.m. - Coach Mike Tomlin on the return of DE Brett Keisel and if he'll start against Buffalo: "We'll determine his participation in practice this week. It all depends on how he practices and his conditioning." Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 23, 2010 1:27 p.m. - The win over Oakland was important to Pittsburgh's playoff hopes, but a decisive win was what the players wanted. "We definitely wanted to bounce back and have a good game," LB James Farrior said. "A win is a win, but it was more impressive to have a big win." Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 23, 2010 1:26 p.m. - S Will Allen (concussion) and DE Brett Keisel (hamstring) are cleared to practice and will be available against the Bills. Allen missed the past two games and Keisel has been out for five contests. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 23, 2010 1:12 p.m. - S Troy Polamalu (achilles) and C Maurkice Pouncey (knee bruise) will both be limited early in the practice week but should be available on Sunday against the Bills. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 23, 2010 1:08 p.m. - TE Matt Spaeth (concussion) will take a neurological test to see if he can practice with the team on Wednesday. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 23, 2010 1:01 p.m. - WR Antonio Brown had some swelling in the knee after Sunday's game and will be limited early in the practice week. "He will be evaluated later," coach Mike Tomlin said. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 22, 2010 2:44 p.m. - After numerous complaints from the Patriots, Raiders and K Jeff Reed, the Heinz Field grass will be resodded on Sunday. The Steelers are on the road against Buffalo that day. Steelers RapidReports
    Tags: K
    Nov. 22, 2010 2:42 p.m. - How good was the Steelers' No. 2 rush defense against Oakland? Raiders RB Darren McFadden, who came in averaging 108 yards per game, was held to 14 yards rushing on 10 carries. Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 22, 2010 2:38 p.m. - LG Chris Kemoeatu on DT Richard Seymour's ejection for punching Ben Roethlisberger: "It was BS...it was uncalled for and selfish. He's been in the league long enough that he should be more professional than that." Steelers RapidReports
    Nov. 22, 2010 2:31 p.m. - LB James Harrison feels Raiders DT Richard Seymour should be suspended for punching Ben Roethlisberger. "I don't see why not," Harrison said. "They're trying to suspend guys for hits when that's within the whistles." Steelers RapidReports

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/team/PIT

The About-Face Bowl

James Farrior, Ryan Fitzpatrick (AP photo)

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.net
    Posted Nov 27, 2010

The Steelers meet the Buffalo Bills today, a week after both teams played games that they believe will go a long way toward redefining their seasons.

At about the same time last Sunday that Mike Tomlin was making changes to keep his Steelers from falling apart, Chan Gailey was making changes to turn around his season with the Buffalo Bills.
    Because of it, the Steelers (7-3) and Bills (2-8) expect a far more interesting game today at Ralph Wilson Stadium in Buffalo.

Tomlin, of course, made lineup changes that should work in the Steelers’ favor down the homestretch and most likely into the playoffs. Tomlin not only changed his right guard and kicker, he activated a rookie receiver to return punts, promoted another rookie receiver to the No. 3/slot role, used 5-WR sets, and added more power to his running game. On defense, Tomlin brought up his corners to play more press coverage and had his strong safety move down into the box once again.

“Some of that stuff was just because of the way we matched up with the Raiders,” said in-the-box strong safety Troy Polamalu. “But, yes, I prefer a more physical and aggressive game plan.”

That may or may not be the script today in Buffalo. For certain, the 5-WR set will be scrapped and Antwaan Randle El will go back to returning punts due to rookie Antonio Brown’s minor knee injury. The confidence that was restored in both the team and its coach last Sunday in the 35-3 win won’t fade quickly for the Steelers.

Much the same can be said for the Bills, who rallied from a 17-point deficit to beat the Cincinnati Bengals by 18, a week after winning their first game of the season.

At halftime, Gailey benched the free safety who’d led the NFL in interceptions last year as a rookie, went to a juiced-up passing game, and read the riot act to his players.

“Coach was pretty fiery at halftime,” said Bills linebacker Paul Posluszny. “Coach was definitely excited at halftime and that got us going.”

The result was a second consecutive win and a jump in the team’s overall confidence level.

“I really think that in the past couple of games we’ve learned how to win,” Posluszny said. “When the game is on the line and it’s the fourth quarter, we didn’t have the confidence to win the game. Now that we’ve won a couple we’re starting to build that. We still have a long way to go. We’re still 2-8, there is no hiding that. But we feel like we’re headed in the right direction.”

Bills quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick has now thrown touchdown passes in 11 straight games and last week set career highs with 316 yards and 4 touchdowns.

“He’s pretty smart. Where’d he go to school?” asked Steelers linebacker James Farrior, knowing full well Fitzpatrick went to Harvard. “I remember him a few years ago in Cincinnati. He did a pretty good job. He’s a tough quarterback. We’re going to have to have people in his face.”

Fitzpatrick’s No. 1 target is third-year wide receiver Steve Johnson, who caught 8 passes for 137 yards and 3 touchdowns last week. For the season, Johnson has 52 catches (or 40 more than in his previous two seasons combined) for 728 yards and 9 touchdowns. He’s second in the NFL in third-down yardage.

“He’s a tremendous receiver. We were sitting in the film room wondering why he wasn’t playing his first year or two,” said Steelers cornerback William Gay. “(Lee) Evens is their deep man and Johnson gets open and makes people miss.”

In the backfield is Fred Jackson, who’s rushed for 562 yards since replacing rookie C.J. Spiller and since-departed Marshawn Lynch on a full-time basis.

Up front, the Bills will miss right guard Eric Wood with leg injuries. He’ll likely be replaced by former Steeler Kraig Urbik.

Defensively, the Bills’ main problem is a lack of a pass rush. They’re 29th in the NFL with only 15 sacks, but finished the Cincinnati game with two late in the game.

Even with the poor rankings and record, it’s clear the Bills are beginning to gel under Gailey. He’s the former Steelers offensive coordinator who was recommended to Bills management by Bill Cowher, the former Steelers coach who had also recommended to the Rooneys that Gailey succeed him in Pittsburgh.

“Our guys have continued to work and continued to get better,” said Gailey. “It was great for them to be able to have something to show for and get that monkey off their back (two weeks ago). Then, to come back the way they did last week, it was a testament to the character of our football team.”

http://pit.scout.com/2/1026044.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information