Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's Time for The Rooney's To Grow A Pair And Stand Up for Their Players

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default It's Time for The Rooney's To Grow A Pair And Stand Up for Their Players

I've wanted to rant on this subject for weeks now. Ever since James Harrison was singled out by Roger Goodell and the League's office for what they believe were illegal hits, the fines and blatant bias and "example-making" of James Harrison has escalated. He's been fined now multiple times. Anytime he is around a Quarterback the NFL's rag-tag crew part-time officials are throwing flags and figuring out the penalties after the whistle.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Incompetent_Roger_Goodell.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	53.7 KB 
ID:	4594For fans of the Pittsburgh Steelers it has gotten tiresome and old. The National media surprisingly has taken sides with James Harrison and a number of former players have taken sides with James Harrison as opposed to what is judged upon by a Commissioner who decided that cheating was a "minor" setback.

As we all ridicule the NFL referees, **** a Commissioner who is truly unfit and incapable of heading and leading the United States' largest sport, there's been little mention of the Steelers ownership. Where's Art Rooney II? Dan Rooney who has been relegated to more of a figurehead role who plays around with his Ambassador of Ireland job had no problems chiming in when Ben Roethlisberger was getting accused for sex games in Georgia night club bathrooms. Heck, Dan had no problems coming out in public and defending James Harrison when he was charged for beating his wife.

So where now is the Rooney's voice when their players are being targeted by the NFL? Where are the Rooney's when the Commissioner is playing judge, jury and executioner with regards to fines, and depictions of rules? Are they going to continue to roll over and allow Roger Goodell to keep making a mockery of this league as he began back in 2007 with the epic fail of the way he handled "Spy Gate"? The Rooney's made not a peep about the stink and when questioned, the Rooney's turtled despite the spying allegations being tied to some AFC Championship Game loses their team endured at the hands of a despicable, cheating, stain of an organization, the New England Patriots.

As James Harrison receives fines almost weekly, while being blatantly targeted for how Roger Goodell depicts "wrong tackling techniques". Where is the defense from the Rooney's? Where is this proud family that is well respected around the NFL when their players are being targeted? When these targeted practices by league officials and personal decisions by the Commissioner could potentially affect outcomes of games? Where is their frustration and anger that all of us Pittsburgh Steelers fans share? When Troy Polamalu speaks up and vocally slams the way the NFL is operating in regards to Roger Goodell's "Gestapo" you are lacking voices brave enough to step up and say something.

As a potential Owners lockout looms after the 2011 season ends, a,ll of these inconsistent, inaccurate, mostly wrong, judging and fining processes and results need changed. They need altered and more importantly, Roger Goodell's power needs kicked down quite a few notches. A league that was run so well for sop many decades under the leadership of Pete Rozelle and Paul Tagliabue has been turned into a laughingstock of personal favors, biases and inconsistencies all attributed towards Commissioner Roger Goodell. What better time than right now for an owner like Art Rooney II or the very well respected Dan Rooney to speak up and defend James Harrison against Roger Goodell's targeting practices and bias? What is there to lose? The 2012 season? The Steelers get treated indifferently? Both are either going to happen or are currently happening. It's time for the Rooney's to grow a pair and stand up for their employees and defend their fans that are disgusted by what the League is doing to James Harrison and the negative spotlight being wrongly shown on the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Sitting back and saying nothing, doing nothing sends out a message of approval of what the league and Roger Goodell are doing. How they are interpreting the rules and the basics of how the sport of American Football is played. By remaining silent the Rooney's are providing a vote of confidence to Roger Goodell and the NFL. That they should continue to target players like James Harrison constantly and make examples of Pittsburgh Steelers players for playing the sport of American Football as it was intended to be played - physically. When penalties of 15 yards and fines are being handed out based on interpretations of how a ref views tackling. An interpretation of tackling by a Commissioner who should have been fired for the way he failed the fans of the NFL with his turning of the head action towards "Spygate". We have problems. The NFL needs a voice but more importantly is that the Pittsburgh Steelers need a voice and that voice is the Rooney's. Start now, the more you remain quiet, the more power it gives an unfit Commissioner to showcase more power and it may be too late or too much to fix all of the harm Roger Goodell could impose on the NFL.
    Last edited by Kipper; Oct-09-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: It's Time for The Rooney's To Grow A Pair And Stand Up for Their Players

Dan Rooney all but hand-picked Roger Goodell for the role of commisioner... He will never go back on his previous actions.... Sorry, but it will never happen.

.... And Art II doesn't have the clout.....
    Last edited by Palmetto Steel; Nov-28-2010 at 07:34 PM.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 10

Default Re: It's Time for The Rooney's To Grow A Pair And Stand Up for Their Players

Outstanding article Kip! Art II doesn't have the nuts to stand up to Goodell. Dan needs to come back and tell that snot nosed assclown Goodell to stop targeting his team.

Threads : 440

hey Kipper,

I loved the article and agree wholeheartedly, great work!

Threads : 413

Spot on Kipper, but I have to agree with NKy. Doubt Rooney gets involved….at least publicly.

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 164

Not just the personal fouls, are you telling me that a Bills rag tag offensive line commits 0 holding penalties while we have 5??(not sure on the exact number). The bills had 4 penalties for 20 yards total.

I am starting to believe in the black helicopters with the NFL logo on them.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 164

ED NOTE: As much as I hate to do this, I am going to use actual football content in one of my threads/responses. ----I hate what I have become------

In a league that is basically one of total parity, where 1 or 2 plays can truly decide a game, and 25% of games are decided by 3 points or less.
    http://www.marasoft.com/nfl-margin-victory.html
    A slight Penalty differential can tip the balance in one way or another

Look at the recent penalty differentials the Steelers have been facing.
    (Steelers 10 for 107 and Bills 4 for 20, or Steelers 14 for 163 and Raiders 7 for 55, or Steelers 7 for 73 and Bengals 3 for 30) In those three games we are -238 yards in penalties compared to our opponents. The Steelers have been flagged 17 more times than their opponents
    For the year its 72 penalties to opponents 58

What the NFL is imposing on the Steelers shows that while the NFL may not outright fix games, IT CAN GREATLY INFLUENCE THEM WITH THE PRESENCE OF YELLOW FLAGS, and folks we ain't the belle of the ball.
    Last edited by bdeff; Nov-29-2010 at 05:42 AM.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dan Rooney all but hand-picked Roger Goodell for the role of commisioner... He will never go back on his previous actions.... Sorry, but it will never happen.

.... And Art II doesn't have the clout.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash View Post
    Outstanding article Kip! Art II doesn't have the nuts to stand up to Goodell. Dan needs to come back and tell that snot nosed assclown Goodell to stop targeting his team.
    Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    Spot on Kipper, but I have to agree with NKy. Doubt Rooney gets involved….at least publicly.
    I agree that Art II doesn't have the same clout as Dan, but Dan is still here and will pop out from time to time to say or do what he wants. He can still make a difference if he wants to. I don't know if he wants to but he should IMO.

Whether Goodell is handpicked or not, that's doesn't mean much. I'm sure Dan approved of drafting Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress and had no problems with us cutting ties with those players because of their personal issues and general incompetence. Same goes with Goodell. Behind the scenes you'd think it was a scratch my back, I'll scratch yours league like most businsses and enterprise, if true, this is more like Goodell is digging his **** claws into the backs of the Steelers while we just sit silently and take it

Quote Originally Posted by bdeff View Post
    ED NOTE: As much as I hate to do this, I am going to use actual football content in one of my threads/responses. ----I hate what I have become------

In a league that is basically one of total parity, where 1 or 2 plays can truly decide a game, and 25% of games are decided by 3 points or less.
    http://www.marasoft.com/nfl-margin-victory.html
    A slight Penalty differential can tip the balance in one way or another

Look at the recent penalty differentials the Steelers have been facing.
    (Steelers 10 for 107 and Bills 4 for 20, or Steelers 14 for 163 and Raiders 7 for 55, or Steelers 7 for 73 and Bengals 3 for 30) In those three games we are -238 yards in penalties compared to our opponents. The Steelers have been flagged 17 more times than their opponents
    For the year its 72 penalties to opponents 58

What the NFL is imposing on the Steelers shows that while the NFL may not outright fix games, IT CAN GREATLY INFLUENCE THEM WITH THE PRESENCE OF YELLOW FLAGS, and folks we ain't the belle of the ball.
    Good stuff Bdeff. Those are alarming numbers. I felt that something was seriously wrong against the Raiders, a team that is always one of the msot penalized teams.Against Buffalo like you said, the numbers are way off.

The thing is, this isn't really to claim or say that the Steelers are innocent of all penalties. Sure, some of them were calls that usually don't get called or are ones you could call every play. The problem is that the Steelers are getting called for stuff and the opposition isn';t. They were showing some real ticky tacky holding on Kemo yesterday, the same stuff you could call against James Harrison every play. There's no way a ****ty OL like the Bills have played that "flawless"

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Could the league be trying to control the outcome of games by way of the referees? It sure as hell wouldn't surprise me. Harrison regularly gets called for roughing the passer and yet the O-lineman blocking him should be called for holding at least 5 (legitimate) times per game, when he has Harrison **** near in a headlock. Where are the roughing the passer calls when Ben gets hit after a throw? Punching our QB after THE PLAY only merits a $25,000 fine. If Harrison did to another QB what Seymour did to Ben, he would have been arrested. Although it wasn't a penalty, where was the whistle when Mendenhall's foward progress was stopped and his knee was on the turf when the ball was being stolen from him. All of these crimes against the Steelers are occurring during key times in games. It is going a long way towards inhibiting the Steelers from putting teams away on key drives or as in the first Baltimore game, tic tac holding calls kept them from the first down that would have iced the game and allowed Baltimore enough time for a game winning drive. Memos holding call on the 41 yard run was a garbage call as well. There is enough evidence that shows that the Steelers are being targeted by the league. The Rooney's need to take the video evidenc to goodell and ask why and demand. It is time for them to use their influence to get this fixed before it costs them another game.........maybe the Baltimore game.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 60

Great article and all true. Art II , Dan and Cowher were asskissers when the Patriots cheated and took it all in. The Rooneys now must like the taste because they are still kissing butt and sucking it up from Goodell. Some people suck because they have to but, the Rooneys suck because they must love the taste.

Threads : 49

Great article, kipper and I agree 100%. Rooneys will definitely not speak out publicly against the officiating but they better be sending some messages to Goodell and co.

I get more and more tired and outraged each week with this horse****. Someone on another forum summed up my feeling perfectly on this - After every big hit or sack I'm expecting a flag now and am struggling just to enjoy the game. It really sucks.

Threads : 126

I doubt the Rooneys are going to say or do anything, but they might as well since some of their own players have come out publicly against GODell anyway! If GODell and the league have decided to target Harrison and the Steelers even more since he, Polamalu and others have said some things publicly about GODell's leadership, and it sure seems that way since it's gotten worse the past few weeks with bull**** penalties, then you might as well take this even further now since keeping quiet is doing no good anyway! With our offseason issues combined with what is going on right now, you know the last thing GODell wants to have to do is hand us the Lombardi in February!
    Last edited by BlackNGoldRules; Nov-29-2010 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Could the league be trying to control the outcome of games by way of the referees? It sure as hell wouldn't surprise me. Harrison regularly gets called for roughing the passer and yet the O-lineman blocking him should be called for holding at least 5 (legitimate) times per game, when he has Harrison **** near in a headlock. Where are the roughing the passer calls when Ben gets hit after a throw? Punching our QB after THE PLAY only merits a $25,000 fine. If Harrison did to another QB what Seymour did to Ben, he would have been arrested. Although it wasn't a penalty, where was the whistle when Mendenhall's foward progress was stopped and his knee was on the turf when the ball was being stolen from him. All of these crimes against the Steelers are occurring during key times in games. It is going a long way towards inhibiting the Steelers from putting teams away on key drives or as in the first Baltimore game, tic tac holding calls kept them from the first down that would have iced the game and allowed Baltimore enough time for a game winning drive. Memos holding call on the 41 yard run was a garbage call as well. There is enough evidence that shows that the Steelers are being targeted by the league. The Rooney's need to take the video evidenc to goodell and ask why and demand. It is time for them to use their influence to get this fixed before it costs them another game.........maybe the Baltimore game.
    Conspiracy theories I never doubt. I don't believe them but I'll never write them off. Not when Vegas has their hands involved but I agree that the Steelers need to be consuming all of the video evidence it can put together and make it's case. If Goodell doesn't want to listen to it because it's not coming from his closest "butt-buddy" Robert Kraft then OOPS... somehow these videos got leaked publicly

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    Great article and all true. Art II , Dan and Cowher were asskissers when the Patriots cheated and took it all in. The Rooneys now must like the taste because they are still kissing butt and sucking it up from Goodell. Some people suck because they have to but, the Rooneys suck because they must love the taste.
    The thing too is that there's no need to be kissing ***. We're talking about some schmuck Commissioner that was appointed to that position in recent years. It's not like we're asking challenges to say Pete Rozell or even Paul Tagliabue.. guys that were respected amongst fans and owners. Goodell has as much respect from the fans as Bud Selig and Daniel Stern have for their leagues.

Quote Originally Posted by JerryGlanville View Post
    Great article, kipper and I agree 100%. Rooneys will definitely not speak out publicly against the officiating but they better be sending some messages to Goodell and co.

I get more and more tired and outraged each week with this horse****. Someone on another forum summed up my feeling perfectly on this - After every big hit or sack I'm expecting a flag now and am struggling just to enjoy the game. It really sucks.
    My main issue is that they are both making up rules as the season goes along and that they are creating rules that are extremely subjective and placing the outcome for them at the hands of Part-Time officials and the Commissioner's office to judge. That's a huge issue. We should be eliminating "gray area" rules that place too much ability in game outcomes in the referees hands. Too much ability by the Commissioner to dish out whatever fine he feels is necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackNGoldRules View Post
    I doubt the Rooneys are going to say or do anything, but they might as well since some of their own players have come out publicly against GODell anyway! If GODell and the league have decided to target Harrison and the Steelers even more since he, Polamalu and others have said some things publicly about GODell's leadership, and it sure seems that way since it's gotten worse the past few weeks with bull**** penalties, then you might as well take this even further now since keeping quiet is doing no good anyway! With our offseason issues combined with what is going on right now, you know the last thing GODell wants to have to do is hand us the Lombardi in February!
    The Rooney's most likely won't say anything, it's just my opinion that they should and everytime we complain about Goodell and the refs, we should also be complaining about the rooney's as well because they are refusing to be vocal and active to defend their players and as far as I'm concerned due what their employers (The fans) want them to do which is pitch a ***** to Goodell and the league's offices

Threads : 20
    Sports Logo

A couple weeks ago when Jerry's Kids beat the Giants : I have no doubt that game was rigged.

Threads : 126

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    The Rooney's most likely won't say anything, it's just my opinion that they should and everytime we complain about Goodell and the refs, we should also be complaining about the rooney's as well because they are refusing to be vocal and active to defend their players and as far as I'm concerned due what their employers (The fans) want them to do which is pitch a ***** to Goodell and the league's offices
    I'm pretty sure most here agree with you and share your opinion. I certainly do. But, It's unfortunate that this is probably as far as it's going to go. People like us talking about it and complaining about it while the Rooneys keep their mouths shut so they don't make any waves with the guy they helped put in there in the first place.

Sent from my T-Mobile G1 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information