Thread: Interesting stat.....you may not have been aware of

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Interesting stat.....you may not have been aware of

Steelers _ with Ben _ rarely lose to Ravens
    By ALAN ROBINSON AP Sports Writer

PITTSBURGH(AP)—Ben Roethlisberger is the great equalizer in the Steelers-Ravens rivalry.

Of the last eight games between the division rivals, the Steelers have won five - all with Roethlisberger at quarterback. The three he didn’t play, they lost.

Detect a pattern?

Despite spraining his right foot against the Bills, Roethlisberger is expected to be in the lineup when the teams meet Sunday night in Baltimore for first place in the AFC North. Roethlisberger was suspended when the Ravens beat the Steelers 17-14 on a last-minute Joe Flacco to T.J. Houshmandzadeh touchdown pass Oct. 3 in Pittsburgh. He was out with a concussion during Pittsburgh’s 20-17 overtime loss in Baltimore last season.

Roethlisberger is 7-2 as a starter against the Ravens, with both losses occurring in 2006. He is 162 of 287 for 2,104 yards, 16 touchdowns and 10 interceptions in 10 career game against them, including his NFL debut as an injury replacement for Tommy Maddox in 2004.

No doubt the Steelers (8-3) want Roethlisberger ready to go for what could be their biggest game of the season. Win, and they’re a game up on the Ravens (8-3) with four games to play. Lose, and they’re effectively down two games because Baltimore would own a one-game lead and the tiebreaker should the teams finish with the same record.

The Ravens have won their last eight at home.

“You don’t want to miss that one,” wide receiver Hines Ward said. “This is going to be a heavyweight fight, champs for our division. It always is, every year, regardless if one team’s struggling or the other team is having success. This is the one you circle.”

The importance of having Roethlisberger when the Steelers play their biggest rival was illustrated in 2008. Then, the Steelers won three tight games against the Ravens by scores of 23-20 in overtime at home, 13-9 in Baltimore and 23-14 again in Pittsburgh in the AFC championship game.

During the 13-9 game, he drove the Steelers nearly the length of the field during a decisive 12-play drive that ended with his 4-yard touchdown pass to Santonio Holmes with 43 seconds remaining. He was 7 of 11 for 89 yards on that drive alone. He also found Holmes on a 65-yard touchdown pass play in the AFC championship game, which preceded the Steelers’ win over Arizona in the Super Bowl.

Despite his sore foot, Roethlisberger led his 22nd career game-winning scoring drive in the fourth quarter or overtime as the Steelers beat Buffalo 19-16 in overtime on Sunday. Roethlisberger stayed in the game despite the sore foot.

“My foot was in the ground and someone was driving me backward, and my foot couldn’t get out of the ground, so my knee just got bent sideways,” Roethlisberger said of an injury that didn’t prevent him for breaking off an 18-yard run for a first down.

While Roethlisberger remained in the game, the Steelers finished it without injured defensive ends Brett Keisel (hamstring, calf), who has played only a handful of snaps in six games, and Nick Eason (sprained medial collateral ligament in left knee). If Keisel isn’t ready to go against Baltimore, the Steelers may have to start 2009 first-round draft pick Ziggy Hood and Steve McLendon, who wasn’t on their roster for part of the season.

Cornerback Bryant McFadden (hamstring) also couldn’t finish a game in which they Steelers drew 107 yards in penalties. They have 270 yards in penalties in their last two games after having 383 yards in their first nine games.

“When you eliminate those, you’re going to go out and win games,” linebacker LaMarr Woodley said. “The last two weeks, we’ve been kind of killing ourselves with penalties here and there and keeping teams alive. Once we cut that out, we’ll be pretty good.”

The Steelers should be better against the Ravens, if only because Roethlisberger’s history suggests they will be.

“We’re not playing good football, our best football, but I think from what we had to overcome and go through (in Buffalo), we can learn from it,” Ward said. “I like the direction this team is headed, especially in the month of December.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...rsbetterwithbe

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default With Ben, Steelers rarely lose to Ravens

11/30/2010
    With Ben, Steelers rarely lose to Ravens
    By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

[HIGH-LIGHT]The Steelers have won five of the last eight games against their AFC North Division nemesis, the Baltimore Ravens.

And there is one common factor in each of those five wins: Ben Roethlisberger has played.

In the three losses? Roethlisberger didn't play.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

[IMGL]http://i52.tinypic.com/j6phz5.jpg[/IMGL]Roethlisberger suffered a sprained foot late in the first half of the Steelers' 19-16 overtime win Sunday at Buffalo, but it's unlikely he'll miss the Pittsburgh's game Sunday at Baltimore with first place in the division on the line. Roethlisberger underwent tests on the injured foot Monday.

[HIGH-LIGHT]The Steelers are 7-2 against Ravens in games started by Roethlisberger, with both losses coming in 2006.[/HIGH-LIGHT] Roethlisberger has thrown 16 touchdown passes with 10 interceptions against Baltimore. Take away the 2006 games, and those numbers improve to 15 touchdowns and six interceptions.

With both teams at 8-3 and the Ravens having already beaten the Steelers this season - when Roethlisberger was serving a suspension - his teammates know the quarterback will do everything he can to play in Baltimore. If they had any question about that, they needed only to see his effort against the Bills. With the Steelers facing third-and-17 in the fourth quarter of a tie game, Roethlisberger scrambled out of a possible sack and ran for 18 yards, diving to get to the marker.

Not normally a scrambler, Roethlisberger made the run despite his foot injury.

"He's a competitor," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said.

Roethlisberger said he wasn't thinking about the injury.

"I just stepped up out of fear of (Buffalo defensive lineman Marcus) Stroud chasing me," Roethlisberger said. "Just doing anything you can to win."

It was a big play in a game full of them.

"A lot of people don't expect Ben to run, but he saw an opportunity and got the first down and got the chains moving," said linebacker LaMarr Woodley.

The sore foot obviously bothered Roethlisberger throughout the second half and overtime. After completing 14 of 21 passes for 160 yards in the first half, Roethlisberger was only 6-for-12 for 86 yards as the Steelers scored only six points after halftime.

Penalties and a fumble were an issue, but Roethlisberger also underthrew several receivers as he struggled pushing off on his injured foot.

"We can't make those mistakes as an offense, and we know that," Roethlisberger said. "It's something we need to get cleaned up, and cleaned up quick."

[HIGH-LIGHT]Odds and end zones[/HIGH-LIGHT]

The NFL denied the appeal by Steelers linebacker James Harrison for two fines, totaling $95,000, for hits on Cleveland's Mohamad Massaquoi and New Orleans' Drew Brees. ... Harrison recorded his 10th sack of the season against the Bills, becoming the first Steelers player to have three consecutive seasons with at least 10 sacks.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...ers-Bills-wrap
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: With Ben, Steelers rarely lose to Ravens

I'm not worried about Ben, aside from line protection. Ben should be ready.

There are a lot of moving parts on a football team (Capt. Obvious material), but it seems like we can't get all of our moving parts aligned and they will need to be aligned this Sunday.

Will our secondary be ready? Game planning? Pass rush?

Those are the three critical components that need to be ready if we're going to sniff any kind of success against the rats. I left out the O-line because due to injuries, you can't rely on them - and I don't mean that in a bad way either. It is what it is and if they manage a solid game, it's a bonus at this point.

Special teams is also a factor but if the stars align and the three components I mentioned pull though, we could carry a mediocre special teams performance. Maybe.

I don't have a good feeling about this game, there are too many key variables at this point that need addressed and I just don't see them coming together in a short period of time, but maybe I'm wrong.

Ben's going to be reliable IMO, sprain or no.
    Write drunk, edit sober - Ernest Hemingway

Default Re: Interesting stat.....you may not have been aware of

guess it wasn't that interesting after all.....

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    guess it wasn't that interesting after all.....
    Actually, I missed this thread.... Basically says the same as I just posted, so I'll move mine onto this one....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Actually, I missed this thread.... Basically says the same as I just posted, so I'll move mine onto this one....
    no problem...was just surprised that 70 people viewed it but no comment????? guess everyone was aware of it but me???

Quote Originally Posted by bleedBnG58 View Post
    no problem...was just surprised that 70 people viewed it but no comment????? guess everyone was aware of it but me???
    Remember... Every new thread in the Steelers Tavern Talk gets tweeted/facebooked.... Lots read them without replying...

... And actually, I didn't realize the stat till Kip included it somewhere in one of his posts over the last few days...

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Here's a more interesting stat ...

Who wants to guess how many times Ben has played in Baltimore during his 6 seasons?

This will be season number 7 which will give him his 3rd game in Baltimore if the foot doesn't keep him out.

Ben is 1-1 in Baltimore. Winning 13-9 in 2008 and losing 27-0 in 2006
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 164

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

Who wants to guess how many times Ben has played in Baltimore during his 6 seasons?

This will be season number 7 which will give him his 3rd game in Baltimore if the foot doesn't keep him out.

That 27-0 game was a nightmare, it was the Ben gets drilled by Bart Scott game.
    "ARRRGGHHH THERE WILL BE MUTTON TONIGHT!" Said the Troll

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post

Fat Ben iz scared of dem

Threads : 70

[QUOTE=bdeff;134058]That 27-0 game was a nightmare, it was [HIGH-LIGHT]the Ben gets drilled by Bart Scott game.[/[/HIGH-LIGHT]QUOTE]

I got two words for that one... "ouch!"
    Hidden Content Chuck Norris wears Steelers Pajamas!!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information