Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pirates' Veal named pitcher of the week in Arizona Fall League

Threads : 691

Default Pirates' Veal named pitcher of the week in Arizona Fall League

Pirates' Veal named pitcher of the week in Arizona Fall League
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazettePirates pitcher Donnie Veal leads the Arizona Fall League with a 0.71 earned-run average.Pirates left-hander Donnie Veal went 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in the Arizona Fall League last week and was named the league's pitcher of the week. In two starts with the Scottsdale Scorpions, he surrendered five hits and two walks while striking out seven batters in 7.2 innings of work. Veal currently leads Fall League starters with a 0.71 earned-run average (122/3 IP, 1 earned run), while ranking fifth overall in that department. He is also tied for the league lead with two wins, ranks second in opponent batting average (.159) and third in WHIP (0.71).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09307...#ixzz0Vmh6PiGS
    Last edited by Kipper; Jan-03-2011 at 03:33 PM.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 85
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pirates' Veal named pitcher of the week in Arizona Fall League

never thought id see those collections of words and stats with ol donnie

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From Baseball Prospectus...

Whatever the Pirates have done here with Veal, let's hope they keep doing it, as he's been one of the stories of the league so far with a 0.71 ERA in four starts for the Scorpions. Sitting at 92-94 mph with his fastball, he's showing far better command than he did during the regular season and flashing a good curve and changeup. He's going from persona non grata to a very real candidate for a slot in the 2010 rotation.

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pirates' Veal named pitcher of the week in Arizona Fall League
    Tuesday, November 03, 2009
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Peter Diana/Post-GazettePirates pitcher Donnie Veal leads the Arizona Fall League with a 0.71 earned-run average.Pirates left-hander Donnie Veal went 1-0 with a 0.00 ERA in the Arizona Fall League last week and was named the league's pitcher of the week. In two starts with the Scottsdale Scorpions, he surrendered five hits and two walks while striking out seven batters in 7.2 innings of work. Veal currently leads Fall League starters with a 0.71 earned-run average (122/3 IP, 1 earned run), while ranking fifth overall in that department. He is also tied for the league lead with two wins, ranks second in opponent batting average (.159) and third in WHIP (0.71).

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09307...#ixzz0Vmh6PiGS
    Hey VA...if its true what you say in comparison of fall league to AA...isn't his command and success thus far in that league pretty impressive? I do realize that it is only 12 and 2/3 IP so far...but the command has to be something that the Pirates are happy with...and the success against the level of competition should be noted as well. Correct?
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    A role in the 2010 starting rotation? Hmm..... I dunno if he'll be quite ready for that.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    A role in the 2010 starting rotation? Hmm..... I dunno if he'll be quite ready for that.
    Yeah, that's a reach, I agree, but Veal could possibility start out at AAA. Not sure.

Your question to PFIV... personally for me, his control numbers in the Fall LEague have been the most important aspect for me. The ERA and BAA, that's an added bonus but Veal has always been said to have a nice powerful left handed arm with a good curve he just couldn't throw strikes. That he's throwing strikes and showing good command and control is to me the biggest thing. If he can do that consistently, he has the arm to do other things.

I noticed in either the article that Buccoray posted or the BP snippet I posted that they said he was mixing in a good changeup. That's huge. I don't remember the Changeup really being part of Veal's repretoire but know that it is something that Starks and Huntington are adamant on all developing pitchers learning, so that's another good sign with veal that he's picked up on the Changeup and it's been effective and thrown for strikes.

Veal is going to be high up on my list of players to watch next year in the minors. A power lefty is such rare thing to find, especially a good one. If Veal can continue progressively developing and is pulling it all together, having a power lefty in the Starting rotation in the future is huge

Threads : 36

The Pen could use a lefty just as much as the rotation can. With so few options in the pen, I wonder if he would be better served as a reliever for the Bucs. The team had an overall terrible bullpen and an ok rotation. I would have Veal start out as a starter in AAA and then move him into the pen. That is unless they decide that Duke or Maholm can be traded.

Threads : 691

I remember there was alot of discussion about keeping Veal on the M.L.B. roster. Some were saying he was using up a spot and not contributing and should be offered back to the Cubs. Well in a totally lost season,(as far as wins and loses) these are the kinda of gambles the Pirates have to take. Who knows how it will work out,but to give up on this kinda of raw talent,for probably a journeyman at best taking his spot,and it wouldn't have made a **** of difference as far as wins and losses,is something the old regime would have done.
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Quote Originally Posted by Lup View Post
    The Pen could use a lefty just as much as the rotation can. With so few options in the pen, I wonder if he would be better served as a reliever for the Bucs. The team had an overall terrible bullpen and an ok rotation. I would have Veal start out as a starter in AAA and then move him into the pen. That is unless they decide that Duke or Maholm can be traded.
    What do we all think of Zach Duke? He is a strange case for sure. His statistics across the board prove that he has both been TERRIBLE and EXCELLENT...I just dont know what to think about him. Is this his PEAK? Would it, thus, be good to trade him now and get a good amount for him? OR is he really BACK? Its all kinda topsy-turvy with him.
    Hidden Content

Threads : 94

Whatever the Pirates have done here with Veal, let's hope they keep doing it, as he's been one of the stories of the league so far with a 0.71 ERA in four starts for the Scorpions. Sitting at 92-94 mph with his fastball, he's showing far better command than he did during the regular season and flashing a good curve and changeup. [HIGH-LIGHT]He's going from persona non grata to a very real candidate for a slot in the 2010 rotation. [/HIGH-LIGHT]

Kipper who wrote this? I hope it wasn't Perotto...he knows better.

Hey VA...if its true what you say in comparison of fall league to AA...isn't his command and success thus far in that league pretty impressive? I do realize that it is only 12 and 2/3 IP so far...but the command has to be something that the Pirates are happy with...and the success against the level of competition should be noted as well. Correct?
    Sure it is but as NH says when a player plays in a stadium with a 3rd deck that's how you judge them.

Yeah, that's a reach, I agree, [HIGH-LIGHT]but Veal could possibility start out at AAA. Not sure.[/HIGH-LIGHT]
    Your question to PFIV... personally for me, his control numbers in the Fall LEague have been the most important aspect for me. The ERA and BAA, that's an added bonus but Veal has always been said to have a nice powerful left handed arm with a good curve he just couldn't throw strikes. That he's throwing strikes and showing good command and control is to me the biggest thing. If he can do that consistently, he has the arm to do other things.

I noticed in either the article that Buccoray posted or the BP snippet I posted that they said he was mixing in a good changeup. That's huge. I don't remember the Changeup really being part of Veal's repretoire but know that it is something that Starks and Huntington are adamant on all developing pitchers learning, so that's another good sign with veal that he's picked up on the Changeup and it's been effective and thrown for strikes.

Veal is going to be high up on my list of players to watch next year in the minors. A power lefty is such rare thing to find, especially a good one. If Veal can continue progressively developing and is pulling it all together, having a power lefty in the Starting rotation in the future is huge
    That's where he will start the year ......as a starter.

What do we all think of Zach Duke? He is a strange case for sure. His statistics across the board prove that he has both been TERRIBLE and EXCELLENT...I just dont know what to think about him. Is this his PEAK? Would it, thus, be good to trade him now and get a good amount for him? OR is he really BACK? Its all kinda topsy-turvy with him.
    I can't see Duke being traded unless it is for a McLouth type return.

Threads : 27

Quote Originally Posted by PittFaninVa View Post
    I can't see Duke being traded unless it is for a McLouth type return.

Me too. Either him or Maholm. I think one or the other will be dealt in the winter.....I really do.

Threads : 36

I really don't see Duke or Maholm being dealt. They won't be dealt until there are pitchers ready to fill out the rotation. NH will not trot out JVB types anymore if he can help it.

I agree that Veal will start out in AAA as a starter, but I can see him being converted to a reliever. Now if he maintains good control and continues to develope then he gets a chance to take the ball every 5th day with the bucs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information