Thread: ESPN On Jose Tabata

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default ESPN On Jose Tabata

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog...ame=grey_jason

10. The Pittsburgh Pirates' Jose Tabata has been a line-drive machine in the Valley of the Sun, consistently stinging the ball from gap to gap, and even his outs have been hit hard. The question mark is how much power he's going to develop, as there's not much more projection on his body and he doesn't get a lot of loft in his swing. As his body has gotten thicker, I don't think he profiles in center field anymore, and he might not have the pop you're looking for in a corner outfielder. But I do think he's going to hit at the big league level eventually.
    Last edited by Kipper; Jan-03-2011 at 03:33 PM.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: ESPN On Jose Tabata

Still need to keep in mind that he's 21 years old. Like others, who knows if the power will come and when it does, where it's roof is. He hits enough XBH to provide a good OBP and other various metric stats for a corner OF'er. Power is always a nice need because a single homer run can add runs quickly and help pad a lead or erase a deficit instantly and they are excellent momentum changers.

I wouldn't be surprised if they work more on Tabata's power for this upcoming season

Threads : 27
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

"As his body has gotten thicker, I don't think he profiles in center field anymore, and he might not have the pop you're looking for in a corner outfielder"

Same thing was said about Kirby Puckett a long time ago.

Threads : 13

We need pop in this lineup and there is none right now. Jones may be good for 20-30 next season but that is it. Maybe Cuth will hit 15 and doumit 25 but those are big maybe's

Threads : 215

I'm thinkin' we need big LaRoche back (1yr) and put Jones in the outfield. Tabata will be ready at that point. We have the Clement guy and he says he's healed. He should start splitting between 1st and catch until we need him......and we will, find a way by the interleague games if he performs.

If Tabata stays away from the spinsters, he has a chance to be a real good Pirate.

Threads : 135

I think the sad thing is that unless Jones really continues to rake...and proves he's our future 1B...we really wont have much power in the lineup. McCutchen+Milledge+Tabata etc etc etc aren't power hitters. It doesn't mean we wont be good...and it doesnt mean we wont score and win games. We just wont have a ton of power. Alvarez obviously will provide some at 3B and Sanchez might provide some from behind the plate...but its really not a power-driven system right now.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 135

Quote Originally Posted by CROSSBONES View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm thinkin' we need big LaRoche back (1yr) and put Jones in the outfield. Tabata will be ready at that point. We have the Clement guy and he says he's healed. He should start splitting between 1st and catch until we need him......and we will, find a way by the interleague games if he performs.

If Tabata stays away from the spinsters, he has a chance to be a real good Pirate.
    Why do we need LaRoche back? Sign a guy who can play multiple positions and be a good utility guy and play him until Tabata is ready to come up. Or...see if Clement can start at 1B and keep Jones in RF.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information