Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Illness sidelines Parker

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_651200.html

Illness sidelines Steelers veteran RB Parker
    Buzz up!
    By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Steelers running back Willie Parker did not practice Monday because of an illness. Parker reported to the Steelers' practice facility with the rest of his teammates. The Steelers sent him to the doctors because he was running a fever.

"We didn't want him to deliver anything to anybody else," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "I anticipate him being fine."

The bye week and the fact that the Steelers are playing Monday night in Denver gives them two extra days of practice this week. The Steelers normally watch film and get treatment on Mondays, but they did not have a game last weekend. They will practice Saturday, which is usually a walk-through for a Sunday game.

"We should be well prepared for the Denver Broncos," wide receiver Hines Ward said.

The Steelers made a minor roster move, signing tight end Eugene Bright to their practice squad. They made room for Bright by releasing Kevin Brock from the practice squad. Bright signed with the Philadelphia Eagles this year as an undrafted free agent out of Purdue. The 6-foot-4, 268-pounder spent training camp with Philadelphia but was among the team's final cuts in early September.

The Steelers became the No. 1 rushing defense in the NFL despite not playing last weekend. The Steelers, who are yielding 76.6 rushing yards per game, moved into the top spot after Arizona gave up 270 rushing yards to Carolina.

So, it seems Willie's been running a fever. In accordance with BA's instructions, he's been running it straight up the middle, so it shouldn't spread very far.

Also of interest was the signing of another TE to the practice squad. Could this be a look-see, just in case Matt "The Car Park Slasher" Spaeth is pointed to the exit? Just sayin'....
    Last edited by War Machine; Nov-03-2009 at 01:00 PM.

Threads : 60

Default Re: Illness sidelines Parker

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_651200.html

Illness sidelines Steelers veteran RB Parker
    Buzz up!
    By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Steelers running back Willie Parker did not practice Monday because of an illness. Parker reported to the Steelers' practice facility with the rest of his teammates. The Steelers sent him to the doctors because he was running a fever.

"We didn't want him to deliver anything to anybody else," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "I anticipate him being fine."

The bye week and the fact that the Steelers are playing Monday night in Denver gives them two extra days of practice this week. The Steelers normally watch film and get treatment on Mondays, but they did not have a game last weekend. They will practice Saturday, which is usually a walk-through for a Sunday game.

"We should be well prepared for the Denver Broncos," wide receiver Hines Ward said.

The Steelers made a minor roster move, signing tight end Eugene Bright to their practice squad. They made room for Bright by releasing Kevin Brock from the practice squad. Bright signed with the Philadelphia Eagles this year as an undrafted free agent out of Purdue. The 6-foot-4, 268-pounder spent training camp with Philadelphia but was among the team's final cuts in early September.

The Steelers became the No. 1 rushing defense in the NFL despite not playing last weekend. The Steelers, who are yielding 76.6 rushing yards per game, moved into the top spot after Arizona gave up 270 rushing yards to Carolina.

So, it seems Willie's been running a fever. In accordance with BA's instructions, he's been running it straight up the middle, so it shouldn't spread very far.

Also of interest was the signing of another TE to the practice squad. Could this be a look-see, just in case Matt "The Car Park Slasher" Spaeth is pointed to the exit? Just sayin'....
    I think Willie's whole purpose with coming in was to sneeze on Mendy .

Tell you what Willie. Take two asprin and we will see you in a couple of weeks.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah, it's sad to say but Willie right now, missing time isn't really a concern at all. Not with Mendy running well and having Moore.

Didnt we sign a TE the other week too?

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Yeah, it's sad to say but Willie right now, missing time isn't really a concern at all. Not with Mendy running well and having Moore.

I don't think SWP missing time is a concern ANY week............whether Mendy is running well or not.

Threads : 70

I'm glad they sent him away so that he didnt "deliver" (who the **** says that?) anything to anybody else. The Stains had over a dozen players come down with the flu a week or two ago...we cannot afford that to happen!

Sorry Willie, I know it's not your fault you are sick, but you're not helping yourself get a big deal next year (from anybody)

Threads : 60

If Willie has what I have, it is brutal. I can't help but feel bad for Willie, a guy that has never complained except wanting the ball more and a guy that gave 100% effort all the time.
    If he had an attitude or acted if he was a football god or created sidebar disturbances then, I could say , " tough luck " Willie was never like that or lazy but just a modest personality that tried his best.

Threads : 58

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    If Willie has what I have, it is brutal. I can't help but feel bad for Willie, a guy that has never complained except wanting the ball more and a guy that gave 100% effort all the time.
    If he had an attitude or acted if he was a football god or created sidebar disturbances then, I could say , " tough luck " Willie was never like that or lazy but just a modest personality that tried his best.
    While I don't necessarily feel sorry for Parker, I agree completely with your opinion of the guy. At the end of the day he has millions in the bank and will live comfortably for the rest of his life, but as you already stated he was never a problem.

Also, I don't see him acting like Faneca and throwing a hissy fit while taking a shot at ownership as he's going through the exit door or acting like Burress and taking a shot at those of us who live in Pittsburgh after he is gone. I could be wrong, but I just don't see Parker doing something like that.

I know one thing for **** sure, I still grin from ear to ear every time I watch him break off that 75 yard TD run in SB-XL.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh; Nov-03-2009 at 07:17 PM.

Threads : 70

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh View Post
    While I don't necessarily feel sorry for Parker, I agree completely with your opinion of the guy. At the end of the day he has millions in the bank and will live comfortably for the rest of his life, but as you already stated he was never a problem.

Also, I don't see him acting like Faneca and throwing a hissy fit while taking a shot at ownership as he's going through the exit door or acting like Burress and taking a shot at those of us who live in Pittsburgh after he is gone. I could be wrong, but I just don't see Parker doing something like that.

I know one thing for **** sure, I still grin from ear to ear every time I watch him break off that 75 yard TD run in SB-XL.
    Yeah, I feel you guys...Im not trying to hate on FWP/SWP(for you Les)..., but the big difference between Willie, Faneca, and Burress was that Faneca and Burress were producing and were in a situation to be "devas" and be a distraction....Willie's been a non-factor this season thus far(other than the Cincy game)...but I still hold out hope, we're gonna need him down the stretch!

Threads : 58

Quote Originally Posted by Bton66 View Post
    and were in a situation to be "devas" and be a distraction....Willie's been a non-factor this season thus far
    I definately see where you're coming from.

The sad part about today's game, there are plenty of players out there who have accomplished a hell of a lot less than Willie Parker and yet they act like divas on a regular basis. So that's why I respect the guy's attitude and personality.

I'm not denying that Parker's career is over in Pittsburgh or that his play has dropped dramatically this season. I'm just not putting him on my list of a-hole athletes who have passed through our city over the years.

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have to agree that Willie has been a good egg during his time here. I also agree with Pittsburgh, there have been big headache players in the league that haven't accomplished near as much as Willie.
    How ever it turns out, I wish him well and he will always be in the Steelers Super Bowl history books.

BTW, what do think is better to have, a great offensive line or a great runningback ?

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BATMAN View Post

BTW, what do think is better to have, a great offensive line or a great runningback ?
    Well,a great running back can make a mediocre OL look good,but a great OL will help in both the running and passing games.I would have to say a great OL.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information