Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: Power(less) Play Rant

      
  1. #1
    El Sid's Avatar
    Status : El Sid is offline
    Rank : 1st Stringer
    Join Date : Oct 20, 2009
    Location : Cheswick, PA
    Posts : 1,707
    Threads : 61
    Last Online : Dec-20-2015 @ 11:17 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Power(less) Play Rant

    As of now, the Stanley Cup Champions Pittsburgh Penguins are 0 for 4 on the power play against the league's second worst penalty killers the Anaheim Ducks. They have a total of FIVE ****ING SHOTS. That is ****ing pathetic, and un-****ing-acceptable. I think I can't get anymore ****ed off by the power play, then the Pens have another game. It's not even so much the lack of scoring, it's the lack of ****ing chances. If the Pens are doing all they can, I'm willing to tip my hat to the other team. As it is now, the Penguins are not even getting a mother ****ing sniff against the the 29TH RANKED PENALTY KILL. I've ****ing had it! They got to get rid of Yeo! Every team knows about the ****ing back door play, so quit ****ing trying it. As bad as Yeo is, this team should STILL be ****ing doing better. THEY ARE WORLD CHAMPIONS FOR ****'S SAKE!! I don't wanna hear about Gonchar being out either. They still have the best ****ing player in the world on the ice. They have outstanding offensive defense men. Those ****ing divas didn't like playing for a coach who 'hurt their feelings,' and now they got a pampering coach like they want. So I will not tolerate any ****ing excuses. Get the job done!

    Sorry, guys, I just needed to get that off my chest.....as I'm finishing this up, the Pens are about to go on another pitiful power play, ****! Wait, ****! Letang just scored, and saved us the embarrassment. Thank goodness.

  2. #2
    BigBen2112's Avatar
    Status : BigBen2112 is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 13, 2009
    Posts : 5,773
    Threads : 135
    Last Online : Jun-03-2014 @ 02:44 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    The same dumbass coach still coaches the PP so nothing is really different there man.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

  3. #3
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    I don't know how it works. I think you have to remove Yeo. I can't remember the PP every being solid with him on the buttons. The thing I don't get is, doesn't Bylsma have any say in it? At least in practice or whatever. And Obviously I am not talking about right now but when they have Gonch and Geno in, shouldn't they be getting goals despite Yeo with that kind of talent? It is tough to year after year rant about the same god **** thing but I just want to understand why they are so bad because I just don't get it. You say Yeo, ok but if we get rid of him, it is all of a sudden going to get a lot better?

  4. #4
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    The Power Play sucking has nothing to really do with pampering or any of that stuff. Hell, I think Bylsma works them hard. It doesn't suck for a lack of players trying, the problem is, the players are trying to what they are told to do and practice doing. That's the main problem. It doesn't matter who is on the YP. Even with Gonch and Geno on their we were still ranked in the bottom half of the league. That's unacceptable. YP's with less skill and talent are more productive than us.

    You can watch the YP. They generally have no ****ing clue what to do when they are forming their breakout and attempting to the enter zone. They often look confused. When and if they do settle down with possession on the YP in the offensive zone the entire YP is trying to do 2 things for the entire 2 minutes or more...

    1. Set up a point shot with limited traffic that is obvious to Ray Charles.
    2. Set up a backdoor play that teams are sitting back on.

    Last night, I watched us setting up on the YP. Anaheim kept 3 guys in, tight to the crease the entire time and would put 1 guy out to challenge whoever had the puck. We either passed the puck around "hoping for something" or we shot it and it was getting blocked or missing the net. Good Power Plays are supposed to draw the defense from their positions. Our Power Play basically allows the opposition PK to dictate what we want to do because there's no change in what we do.

    The problem with the YP ultimately comes back to the design and scheme of it. It's not working because it's both predictable and strategically non-existent. Want to improve the Yeower Play? Get rid of Mike Yeo. Remember last year when we wanted to improve the team? We got rid of Michel Therrien.

  5. #5
    BigBen2112's Avatar
    Status : BigBen2112 is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 13, 2009
    Posts : 5,773
    Threads : 135
    Last Online : Jun-03-2014 @ 02:44 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know how it works. I think you have to remove Yeo. I can't remember the PP every being solid with him on the buttons. The thing I don't get is, doesn't Bylsma have any say in it? At least in practice or whatever. And Obviously I am not talking about right now but when they have Gonch and Geno in, shouldn't they be getting goals despite Yeo with that kind of talent? It is tough to year after year rant about the same god **** thing but I just want to understand why they are so bad because I just don't get it. You say Yeo, ok but if we get rid of him, it is all of a sudden going to get a lot better?
    I think that coaching DOES play a role. I think we can see that since the addition of Bylsma to the team. Concerning the powerplay exactly...I think that if Yeo was removed a new coach would teach a new MENTALITY...a new system that would play more to the strengths of the team and thus have more success. That's just my idea of it all though. A lot of it too is confidence...you have to be confident in your PP or you're just going to skate up the ice and shoot once and go back down the ice...have confidence and work hard.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

  6. #6
    BigBen2112's Avatar
    Status : BigBen2112 is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 13, 2009
    Posts : 5,773
    Threads : 135
    Last Online : Jun-03-2014 @ 02:44 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Power Play sucking has nothing to really do with pampering or any of that stuff. Hell, I think Bylsma works them hard. It doesn't suck for a lack of players trying, the problem is, the players are trying to what they are told to do and practice doing. That's the main problem. It doesn't matter who is on the YP. Even with Gonch and Geno on their we were still ranked in the bottom half of the league. That's unacceptable. YP's with less skill and talent are more productive than us.

    You can watch the YP. They generally have no ****ing clue what to do when they are forming their breakout and attempting to the enter zone. They often look confused. When and if they do settle down with possession on the YP in the offensive zone the entire YP is trying to do 2 things for the entire 2 minutes or more...

    1. Set up a point shot with limited traffic that is obvious to Ray Charles.
    2. Set up a backdoor play that teams are sitting back on.

    Last night, I watched us setting up on the YP. Anaheim kept 3 guys in, tight to the crease the entire time and would put 1 guy out to challenge whoever had the puck. We either passed the puck around "hoping for something" or we shot it and it was getting blocked or missing the net. Good Power Plays are supposed to draw the defense from their positions. Our Power Play basically allows the opposition PK to dictate what we want to do because there's no change in what we do.

    The problem with the YP ultimately comes back to the design and scheme of it. It's not working because it's both predictable and strategically non-existent. Want to improve the Yeower Play? Get rid of Mike Yeo. Remember last year when we wanted to improve the team? We got rid of Michel Therrien.
    I agree with you. I think that one thing that could really help is once we get into the zone and are established our players should ATTACK...that is how we have gotten our goals...by one of our players attacking the spots in the D and then passing to open areas. Dont just pass the puck around...ATTACK the areas they are GIVING you and then from there NATURAL lanes will emerge...unless they are going to just allow you to walk right into the goal crease. I do think its a mentality thing...and I also think that the players show their INDIFFERENCE...they ATTACK hard during 5-5 as they are taught by Bylsma to do...then during the PP they just stand there and pass the puck back and forth or skate up and down the ice. It certainly doesn't look like they have much FUN...and that's key for sure.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

  7. #7
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with you. I think that one thing that could really help is once we get into the zone and are established our players should ATTACK...that is how we have gotten our goals...by one of our players attacking the spots in the D and then passing to open areas. Dont just pass the puck around...ATTACK the areas they are GIVING you and then from there NATURAL lanes will emerge...unless they are going to just allow you to walk right into the goal crease. I do think its a mentality thing...and I also think that the players show their INDIFFERENCE...they ATTACK hard during 5-5 as they are taught by Bylsma to do...then during the PP they just stand there and pass the puck back and forth or skate up and down the ice. It certainly doesn't look like they have much FUN...and that's key for sure.
    Very passive on the PP.

    It was funny. Last night, Errey made a comment about the YP about how he was happy to see it was giving the Ducks different looks.

    We weren't giving the Ducks different looks. what we were doing was moving guys from one position to another. the Positions on the ice never changed and we did nothing with the puck until that player had finished moving into that position. What the **** is that really doing? Anaheim was obviously not very fooled by it at all and that we couldn't fool the 2nd worst Penalty Kill, is shameful.. actually on home ice Anaheim is the 9th worst.

    Speaking of that last sentence... Thursday against the Kings, the Kings have 2nd worst Home Penalty Kill in the league. they are only killing 61.9% of chances. That is beyond awful... watch us help them improve that number. I just looked it up, our Power Play on the road is ranked 26th. We are only converting on 12.5% of chances on the road. I'm sorry but those numbers are worth taking Mike Yeo out back and beating him with a hockey stick

  8. #8
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    I am definitely not saying that the coaching isn't the problem but what I don't understand is how Yeo gets 100% total dictatorship of the PP. Doesn't Bylsma see what is going on here? Can't he make suggestions? Not even during the game but maybe in preparation of a game?

  9. #9
    BigBen2112's Avatar
    Status : BigBen2112 is offline
    Rank : Hall Of Famer
    Join Date : Oct 13, 2009
    Posts : 5,773
    Threads : 135
    Last Online : Jun-03-2014 @ 02:44 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am definitely not saying that the coaching isn't the problem but what I don't understand is how Yeo gets 100% total dictatorship of the PP. Doesn't Bylsma see what is going on here? Can't he make suggestions? Not even during the game but maybe in preparation of a game?
    But again its gotta be an all or nothing phenomenon. Either Bylsma calls the PP or lets Yeo do it. Why? Because even if he puts in advice that doesn't change the overall mentality of the PP. What the team needs is a complete mentality shift on the PP.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

  10. #10
    Les's Avatar
    Status : Les is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 10, 2009
    Location : Secane,Pa.
    Posts : 10,207
    Threads : 48
    Last Online : Jul-04-2017 @ 07:08 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Firing Mike Yeo would be a good start.Hey,maybe we can get a special deal by sending he and Arians on a one way trip to Antarctica or something??

  11. #11
    jmd's Avatar
    Status : jmd is offline
    Rank : Major Leaguer
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Posts : 1,122
    Threads : 23
    Last Online : Sep-06-2011 @ 06:02 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Firing Mike Yeo would be a good start.Hey,maybe we can get a special deal by sending he and Arians on a one way trip to Antarctica or something??
    I don't even think Antarctica would want their sorry asses.
    Why is this teams struggle almost always seem to be the ****ing PP? Going back to the early 90's it seems that we have all kinds of offensive talent, yet our PP continually sucks balls, I dont get it

  12. #12
    Les's Avatar
    Status : Les is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 10, 2009
    Location : Secane,Pa.
    Posts : 10,207
    Threads : 48
    Last Online : Jul-04-2017 @ 07:08 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by jmd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't even think Antarctica would want their sorry asses.
    Why is this teams struggle almost always seem to be the ****ing PP? Going back to the early 90's it seems that we have all kinds of offensive talent, yet our PP continually sucks balls, I dont get it
    It all starts with coaching.Namely Mike Yeo.

  13. #13
    Beezy's Avatar
    Status : Beezy is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 11, 2009
    Location : Pig Hill
    Posts : 10,074
    Threads : 82
    Last Online : Nov-10-2016 @ 07:09 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It all starts with coaching.Namely Mike Yeo.
    Yeo has been here since the early 90's?

  14. #14
    Les's Avatar
    Status : Les is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 10, 2009
    Location : Secane,Pa.
    Posts : 10,207
    Threads : 48
    Last Online : Jul-04-2017 @ 07:08 AM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeo has been here since the early 90's?
    In spirit.

  15. #15
    Kipper's Avatar
    Status : Kipper is offline
    Rank : Legend
    Join Date : Oct 8, 2009
    Posts : 67,323
    Threads : 1817
    Last Online : Apr-25-2017 @ 08:36 PM
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Power(less) Play Rant

    Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am definitely not saying that the coaching isn't the problem but what I don't understand is how Yeo gets 100% total dictatorship of the PP. Doesn't Bylsma see what is going on here? Can't he make suggestions? Not even during the game but maybe in preparation of a game?
    Some coaches let their assistants do their jobs they are paid to do. Bylsma strikes me as that type of person. I wouldnt be surprised if Bylsma has gone to Yeo on multiple occasions and has said "this stinks, this isn't working, fix this etc...". It's mike Yeo's job. If Dan Bylsma di most of the Power Play, then why even have Mike Yeo? I mean, I'd be all for getting rid of Yeo but a coach that let's his coaches do their job normally won't create power struggle type of instances.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •