Thread: Steelers Team Report

Threads : 407
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Steelers Team Report

Steelers Team Report
    Yahoo! Sports

INSIDE SLANT

Ben Roethlisberger has weathered a sex scandal in March, a four-game suspension to start the season, catcalls from opposing crowds,[HIGH-LIGHT] late and largely unpenalized hits from opponents[/HIGH-LIGHT], a broken foot, a broken nose and now the continued slights from Terrell Owens.

And he’s getting the last laugh so far.

Owens, who called Roethlisberger “soft” on his Versus television show last month, scoffed this week at the quarterback’s broken nose, injured when smacked in the face by Baltimore’s Haloti Ngata Sunday night.

Wrote Owens on Twitter this week: i’ve played w/2 screws & a plate n my ankle and a broken leg! And tht ws a severe injury! A broken nose??? Puh-lease! Lmao!

Roethlisberger laughed about being called “soft” on TV by Owens: “I’m glad I could get ratings for him.”

But it’s no laughing matter about what kind of beating Roethlisberger has been taking. [HIGH-LIGHT]He’s been hit late without one roughing-the-passer penalty called on an opponent[/HIGH-LIGHT] for doing so this season. That included the nose-mauling by Ngata and two other hits, one in which [HIGH-LIGHT]Terrell Suggs kept grabbing Roethlisberger’s helmet Sunday night[/HIGH-LIGHT].

At practice on Wednesday, Roethlisberger wore a protective shield for the first time ever for his nose and walked in the locker room with a boot to keep his broken right foot stable. He wears an oversized shoe with two metal plates.

He has kept his sense of humor, saying Penguins owner and legend “Mario Lemieux told me I finally look like a hockey player.”

Roethlisberger already had some metal plates inserted in his head following his infamous motorcycle crash in June 2006, when he also broke his nose. He escaped this time with just the broken nose and there were no complications to the repairs done on his face four years ago.

“They said everything looked really good,” Roethlisberger said. “I did a CT scan before the surgery and they said everything was still holding up really well and they were really pleased with that. It was just my nose. (The surgeon) said he got in there and he said the nose bones looked like cornflakes. I was like, that’s good. The plates and everything in my face were fine, so that’s good.”

Roethlisberger referred back to Owens’ comment when he was asked how he’s managed to play so well while injured during his career.

He said, “I guess I’m soft or something, I don’t know. I just want to play the game. There wasn’t any question if I was going back in. Just like today and practice, I asked the trainers, is there any chance of this getting worse if I practice today and they said no. And I said then I’m practicing.

“I just want to win games and try to win championships.”

Since serving his four-game suspension to start the season, Roethlisberger has not missed a snap.

I hope they know I want to be out there no matter what,” he said of his teammates. “I’ll fight through anything. For me it’s just about being out there with those guys, I’m not going to let a bloody nose keep me out of a game if it doesn’t have to.”

Series History: 81st meeting, Steelers lead series, 48-32, with a 26-14 record in Pittsburgh. The Steelers won the first meeting in Cincinnati 27-21 Nov. 8 after the Bengals swept the series last season for the first time since 1998. The Steelers had won the five games previous to that. The series began in 1970 when the Steelers joined the AFC and the two have shared the same division, Central and North, since.

NOTES, QUOTES

[HIGH-LIGHT]• The Steelers begin a three-game home stretch Sunday, all sellouts, which will bring the number of home sellouts to 301 since the streak began on Nov. 5, 1972 against the Bengals.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

• Several Steelers believe Ravens guard Chris Chester tried to injure linebacker James Harrison when he fired out toward his knee on an extra-point try and was penalized five yards for a false start Sunday night.

“Of course it was deliberate,” Harrison said. “There’s no way that happens on an extra point because (offensive linemen) don’t shoot out. It’s obvious it was blatant. It was on purpose.”

“It was a dirty play,” said linebacker James Farrior.

• The Steelers can lock up a playoff spot this weekend but their main goal is to win the division and gain the No. 2 seed in the AFC. [HIGH-LIGHT]They have blown just one division lead in their history over the final month of the season, in 1990.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

[HIGH-LIGHT]By The Numbers: 24—Years since the Steelers last had three straight home games in the regular season in 1986. Sunday is their first of three straight at Heinz Field.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Quote To Note: “I’m not ready to have a quarter talk. It’s Tuesday of the Cincinnati Bengals. They swept us a year ago. [HIGH-LIGHT]They celebrated pretty nicely on our field the second time they beat us.[/HIGH-LIGHT] That’s my focus.”—Mike Tomlin on his thoughts as the team enters the final quarter of the regular season.

STRATEGY AND PERSONNEL

The Steelers signed former Penn State punter Jeremy Kapinos after trying out three of them at Heinz Field Tuesday. He will replace Daniel Sepulveda, who will have his third surgery to repair a torn ACL on Friday.

Player Notes

• WR Antonio Brown, a rookie sixth-round pick, is gaining more confidence from his coaches and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and is seeing more playing time because of it.

• DE Aaron Smith, who has not played since surgery to repair a triceps torn Oct. 24 in Miami, has made significant progress and has started lifting weights. The Steelers declined to put him on IR in the hopes that he can return at least for the playoffs.

• WR Hines Ward has the third-most career receptions of active receivers with 936 and No. 1 will join him on the field Sunday. Cincinnati’s Terrell Owens has 1,077.

• RB Rashard Mendenhall needs 102 yards rushing to top his total of 1,108 last season and reach a new career high in his third season. Mendenhall ran for 99 yards and one TD on 22 carries vs. the Bengals Nov. 8.

[HIGH-LIGHT]• LB LaMarr Woodley’s 35.5 sacks are the most in a player’s first four seasons in Steelers history. Joey Porter had 30.5 from 1999 through 2002.[/HIGH-LIGHT]

Game Plan: Pittsburgh had trouble stopping Cincinnati’s passing attack in their first meeting Nov. 8 when the Bengals scored two touchdowns in the fourth quarter and came within one play of upsetting the Steelers. Carson Palmer had 248 yards and two TDs. They will play more nickel and dime defenses Sunday. On offense, the Steelers believe they can run and throw on the Bengals but hope to take some pressure off their injured quarterback by running effectively early in the game, getting a lead and staying with it.

Matchups To Watch: Steelers beleaguered CB Bryant McFadden vs. Bengals WR Terrell Owens, who caught 10 for 141 and two TDs in the first meeting, mostly against McFadden.

Bengals MLB Dhani Jones, the team’s top tackler with 122, vs. Steelers rushing game that has been on the decline.

Bengals weak pass rush (14 sacks) vs. weak Steelers offensive line that may be without starting RT Flozell Adams.

Injury Impact: TE Heath Miller (concussion) and RT Flozell Adams (high ankle sprain) may not play for the first time this season. Matt Spaeth would replace Miller and Trai Essex is the likely starter if Adams can’t go. Everyone else will play, including QB Ben Roethlisberger (broken foot and nose) and S Troy Polamalu, who has started despite problems with an Achilles the past three games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slu...s-2010-nfl-pit

Threads : 18
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Steelers Team Report

I hope T.O. gets knocked out of the game with some small little touch to him or pulling a hammy. Have you ever noticed practically every time we play a team TO is on, he has a sideline melt down ?

I hope we can continue causing him his fits.

Threads : 440

Default Re: Steelers Team Report

Farrior pays no attention to Bengals' Owens, Ochocinco

By John Harris, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Friday, December 10, 2010

• Defensive captain James Farrior doesn't pay much attention to the verbal rants of Cincinnati Bengals receivers Terrell Owens and Chad Ochocinco. Owens called quarterback Ben Roethlisberger "soft" during a segment of his reality show with Ochocinco. Farrior said the mouthy receivers are quiet during games. "It's kind of surprising. At game time, those guys don't say too much. They go about their business," Farrior said Thursday. "We know those guys do a lot of talking. We can't even worry about anything they're saying, because most of the time it's a bunch of junk."

• Cornerback Anthony Madison has been on and off the roster since 2006. Madison recorded his first tackle since 2008 when he opened the Buffalo game two weeks ago in a nickel package and totaled five stops. Madison recorded one tackle last Sunday against Baltimore. For a special teams standout, being a regular part of the defense was a strange feeling. "That's the most significant action I had since 2006," said Madison, who is tied for second on the team with 12 special teams tackles. It's a big turnaround for a player who was released before the start of last season only to be brought back for the final five games. "Last year was a trying time for me," he said. "Certain things you don't have much control over. Just having the opportunity to play here again is worth it."

• Tackle Flozell Adams and wide receiver Hines Ward returned to practice yesterday. Safety Troy Polamalu (ankle), tight end Heath Miller (concussion) and defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) continued to sit out. Polamalu is expected to practice today and play Sunday. Miller isn't expected to play. Smith still isn't ready to practice.

• For Cincinnati, cornerback Johnathan Joseph (ankle) and tight end Jermaine Gresham (not injury-related) missed practice for the second consecutive day. Cornerback Rico Murray (ankle) also sat out.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_713064.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information