Thread: Ed Reed: Hines Ward 'tried to cheap-shot me'

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Ed Reed: Hines Ward 'tried to cheap-shot me'

Ed Reed: Hines Ward 'tried to cheap-shot me'

11:58 AMYahoo! BuzzShare
    http://content.usatoday.com/communit...heap-shot-me/1

Accusations of cheap shots flew both ways between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Baltimore Ravens on Wednesday.

On the same day Steelers players alleged a "dirty play" tried to take out LB James Harrison, Ravens S Ed Reed said Pittsburgh WR Hines Ward made a similar gesture at him.

Ed Reed and the Ravens fell to 8-4 after a loss to Pittsburgh on Sunday.CAPTIONBy Rafael Suanes, US Presswire
    And, amid heavy fines being thrust upon many defensive players this season for illegal hits, Reed called for the league to make a similar crackdown on offensive players.

He alleged that Ward blocked him with the crown of his helmet early in the Steelers' win at Baltimore on Sunday.

"He tried to cheap-shot me, and he didn't get a fine," Reed said, via BaltimoreRavens.com. "He came at me with his head down. I moved out the way. Who's going to go police that?"

Two Ravens were fined for illegal hits in the loss to Pittsburgh, with Jameel McClain docked $40,000 and Haloti Ngata $15,000.

And Reed saw clear differences between Ward's block on him and McClain's hit on Heath Miller that drew the fine.

"You've got to see that he came at me," Reed said. (Ward was) trying to do it. (McClain) wasn't trying to hurt the guy. He's just playing football. (Ward) was trying to hurt me. He was trying to take me out the game.

"What are they going to do about that? They're not going to do anything about that."

-- Sean Leahy

Threads : 60

Default Re: Ed Reed: Hines Ward 'tried to cheap-shot me'

Oh ****! The Steelers and Ravens need to move on already from this game.

Threads : 407

show me some video...gezzz

Threads : 440

Ward feels vindicated by fines levied against Ravens

By Mark Kaboly
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hines Ward is happy other NFL teams are getting a taste of what the Steelers have had to deal with virtually the entire season — getting fined.

The veteran wide receiver was reassured that the Steelers aren't being targeted by the NFL after learning that two Baltimore Ravens players were fined a combined $55,000.

Baltimore's Jameel McClain was fined $40,000 for knocking out a defenseless Heath Miller, and Haloti Ngata was docked $15,000 for breaking Ben Roethlisberger's nose.

"It's finally nice to see somebody (else) getting fined," Ward said. "I don't know if we are happy about it, but at least somebody else is getting targeted."

James Harrison has been fined $120,000 over the past two months for what Ward, and others on the team, thought were unjust penalties.

But Ward, who was highly critical of the NFL a week ago, still wasn't happy that no flags were thrown against McClain and Ngata.

"There are some discrepancies going on," Ward said. "The flags weren't thrown, and they are still getting fined for it and vice versa."

Ward said he wants referees to call the game fairly.

"All any of us want is it to be called evenly," he said. "And that's what isn't happening."

McClain will appeal the fine brought down on him by the league.

QUOTABLE

"I just asked him if he saw the blood. I am not one who cusses at the refs or anything, so I just asked him if he thought he went for my head, and his response was that he was just trying to tackle you."

Ben Roethlisberger, when asked what he was telling referee Terry McAulay following the hit that caused his broken nose.

DIGITS

5: Games to start the season that linebacker Lawrence Timmons had more than 10 tackles

5: Games since Timmons had more than 10 tackles

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_712863.html

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Oh ****! The Steelers and Ravens need to move on already from this game.
    LoL!..... Agreed............
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 48

Grow a set,Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Grow a set,Ed.

maybe Ed remembers this hit from Hines?

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    maybe Ed remembers this hit from Hines?
    Maybe Hines should have done it again?

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Maybe Hines should have done it again?

from the title of this thread it sounds like Hines was trying...

Threads : 183

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Ward feels vindicated by fines levied against Ravens

By Mark Kaboly
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, December 9, 2010

Hines Ward is happy other NFL teams are getting a taste of what the Steelers have had to deal with virtually the entire season — getting fined.

The veteran wide receiver was reassured that the Steelers aren't being targeted by the NFL after learning that two Baltimore Ravens players were fined a combined $55,000.

Baltimore's Jameel McClain was fined $40,000 for knocking out a defenseless Heath Miller, and Haloti Ngata was docked $15,000 for breaking Ben Roethlisberger's nose.

"It's finally nice to see somebody (else) getting fined," Ward said. "I don't know if we are happy about it, but at least somebody else is getting targeted."

James Harrison has been fined $120,000 over the past two months for what Ward, and others on the team, thought were unjust penalties.

But Ward, who was highly critical of the NFL a week ago, still wasn't happy that no flags were thrown against McClain and Ngata.

"There are some discrepancies going on," Ward said. "The flags weren't thrown, and they are still getting fined for it and vice versa."

Ward said he wants referees to call the game fairly.

"All any of us want is it to be called evenly," he said. "And that's what isn't happening."

McClain will appeal the fine brought down on him by the league.

QUOTABLE

"I just asked him if he saw the blood. I am not one who cusses at the refs or anything, so I just asked him if he thought he went for my head, and his response was that he was just trying to tackle you."

Ben Roethlisberger, when asked what he was telling referee Terry McAulay following the hit that caused his broken nose.

DIGITS

5: Games to start the season that linebacker Lawrence Timmons had more than 10 tackles

5: Games since Timmons had more than 10 tackles

Mark Kaboly can be reached at mkaboly@dailynewsemail.com or 412-664-9161.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt...nt_712863.html
    what a joke Mccauly and his ref crew are. The NFL is becoming pretty bad. I think its hilarious that after all the dirty plays and intentionally trying to injure the steeler players and constantly going after Ben and others on the team that the ravens did to the steelers or at least attempted to do. We still won the game. Usually in the end whoever caused the problem to start with gets what is coming to him. And I'm sure we have not seen the last of the ravens.

a nice article about Hines:

Steelers star Ward welcomes Korean children to America

By: Mike Bires Beaver County Times
    Thursday December 9, 2010 09:31 PM

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward speaks at a press conference Thursday after welcoming eight biracial children from Korea at the Pittsburgh International Airport.

PITTSBURGH — Thanks to Hines Ward, eight biracial Korean children from have arrived in America where they’ll soon visit two of our country’s most famous landmarks.

They’ll be at Heinz Field on Sunday to watch the Pittsburgh Steelers, one of the most popular professional sports franchises in the United States.

On Monday, they’ll check out the Statue of Liberty, as well as other must-see sites in New York City.

“To have that kind of an impact on these kids, it’s a special feeling for me,” said Ward, a wide receiver who’s the Steelers’ all-time leading receiver.

“As a child from Korea, imagine going on a field trip to another country. I just feel blessed that I’m in a position to help them do this.”

In conjunction with the Hines Ward Helping Hands Korea Foundation, Ward has brought biracial Korean children to the United States for five years now.

After practice Thursday at team headquarters on the South Side on Pittsburgh, Ward drove to Pittsburgh International Airport, where he greeted the children making the trip this year. Ranging in age from 7 to 16 years old, they were selected through an essay contest in which Ward asked them to write about pursuing their dreams.

Ward, who has a Korean mother (Kim Young Hee) and an African-American father (Hines Ward Sr.), was born in Seoul, South Korea in 1976. His parents, who separated when Ward was a youngster, brought him to the United States when he was 1 year old.

After Ward earned Most Valuable Player honors five years ago in Super Bowl XL, he became a symbol of success for all Koreans, especially the biracial population or “mixed bloods” as they are referred to by Koreans.

In spring 2006, when he received a hero’s welcome during a visit to Korea, Ward met with 100 biracial children and immediately became attached to them. Upon his return to the United States, Ward started his foundation and donated $1 million to it.

“What I do for these kids really hits home because I’ve been in their position before,” Ward said. “It’s something I can relate to.”

Today, the children will spend the day with Pittsburgh-area families who have already adopted biracial Korean children. On Saturday morning, they’ll attend Steelers practice. Later in the afternoon, Ward will take them to Dave & Buster’s at the Waterfront in Homestead. Then he’ll treat them to dinner and pass out gifts donated to his foundation.

On Sunday, the youngsters will watch the Steelers (9-3) play the Cincinnati Bengals (2-10).

Then they’ll be off for two days in New York City.

“I always try to stay active when it comes to community affairs. But this weekend is special,” Ward said “We have a big game against Cincinnati, and at the same time, I’ve made it possible for these eight kids from the other side of the world to see a little bit of what our country has to offer.”

http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sp...america-1.html

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information