Thread: If there was a playoff this year...

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default If there was a playoff this year...

Looking through the bowl schedule, where there are so many ho-hum matches. Wouldn't it be more exciting to see a playoff?

Here is how I think they should establish the criteria:

1. 5 conferences - Big 10, SEC, ACC, Pac 10, Big East winners still get automatic byes in, however, the winner must finish with less than 2 total losses to automatically be submitted into the top 6 seeds where the AP and coaches polls help organize the top 6.
    2. Mountain West, WAC, C-USA, MAC, Sunbelt winners or an Independent get in if a team is undefeated or has one loss, and only 4 teams from this group make it to the dance, but this year only 3 get in (TCU, BSU, Nevada). The BcS is eliminated for being a bunch of BS.
    3. No more than 3 teams per conference get in.
    4. For the first round, the games are all played at the home team of the highest seed. The next round the winners are reseeded and they go off to neutral fields. That way the top seeds always play the lowest remaining seeds.
    5. All the worthless bowls like the Vagisil Pointsetta Bowl are no longer important. They can, however vie for landing a neutral site game in rounds 2 and 3. more than likely the Fiesta, Rose, Orange etc get these games.
    6. The championship is played obviously in a neutral field. It would be like selecting a superbowl site.

This year there would be:

3 from the Big 10, SEC, Big 12
    2 from the Pac 10, WAC
    1 from the ACC, Big East, Mountain West

And here is how i'd rank the games:

1. Auburn 13-0 (SEC winner) vs. 16. Connecticut 8-4 (Big East winner)
    2. Oregon 12-0 (Pac 10 winner) vs. 15. Nevada 11-1 (WAC winner)
    3. TCU 12-0 (MTW winner) vs. 14. Boise State 11-1 (WAC runnerup)
    4. Wisconsin 11-1 (Big 10 winner) vs. 13. Nebraska 10-3 (Big 12 runnerup)
    5. Virginia Tech 11-2 (ACC Winner) vs. 12. Missouri 10-2 (Big 12 runnerup)
    6. Oklahoma 11-2 (Big 12 winner) vs. 11. LSU 10-2 (SEC Runnerup)
    7. Stanford 11-1 (Pac 10 runnerup) vs. 10. Arkansas 10-2 (SEC runnerup)
    8. Ohio State 11-1 (Big 10 runnerup) vs. 9. Michigan State 11-1 (Big 10 runnerup)

Legit teams that got screwed out of bowl bids :
    Oklahoma State (10-2) - losses to Nebraska and Oklahoma
    Alabama (9-3) - Losses to LSU, Auburn, SC
    Last edited by foslrock; Dec-11-2010 at 12:58 PM.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If there was a playoff this year...

Yea... The bowl schedule this season just doesn't excite me either...

I completely agree with you as to the playoff system, and really like your 16-team format. But being a bit of a "traditionalist", I really do like the idea of the bowl games as well... I would take it a step further and incorporate the bowls into your "neutral site" games... Hell, it's no big deal to change the dates for the bowl games, as they have already screwed with them alot as it is. You now have games all the way thru Jan 10th, so why not move a few dates up earlier in December so there isn't 2 weeks off before they all start?

... As a sidenote, I'm shocked that ESPN is pretty much doing all of the games instead of games on multiple networks... I also hate the way they've bastardized the Rose Bowl. Sure, the Wisconsin pick is traditional, but TCU?... Put another Pac-10 team in there so as to keep tradition alive. Since Oregon is playing for the championship, Stanford would have been a more logical choice IMO.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 140
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I guess, the reason why I gave the top seeds home field advantage in the first round is that I think if they get this far, they sort of earn it. But, I wouldnt object to all games being on neutral fields, I think financially though the first round could be a wash if Auburn and connecticut have to travel to the Dallas or something like that. For the first round it might be better to have it in the best teams home stadium, since that would be a huge money maker for that school.

I think there are 35 bowl games this year. I didn't count them all, but I think that's what there are. So, ok, in theory, a 16 team playoff would mean 15 different games.

If they wanted to they could also have another playoff for all the schools that didn't make it, sort of like the NIT in the NCAA Basketball tournament. Games like Florida vs Penn State in the outback could still be played, but now they are part of this second tiered tournament. Granted in this format, only 32 teams are playing postseason, and not 70. But, does anyone really care about BYU vs UTEP, or N Illinois vs Fresno State other than just those that go to those schools or are allumni of those schools?

==========

The playoffs in this format would start the weekend before Christmas. This way most kids are done with the semester at that point. The playoffs would then have 2 rounds in December, and 2 in January, with a 2 week layoff between the 3rd round and the championship.
    Last edited by foslrock; Dec-11-2010 at 01:27 PM.

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by foslrock View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But, does anyone really care about BYU vs UTEP, or N Illinois vs Fresno State other than just those that go to those schools or are allumni of those schools?

==========

The playoffs in this format would start the weekend before Christmas. This way most kids are done with the semester at that point. The playoffs would then have 2 rounds in December, and 2 in January, with a 2 week layoff between the 3rd round and the championship.
    It all sounds great, but you and I both know that there is just too much money generated by all the bowl games for the conferences to allow them to go away... I would love to see it, but nothing is gonna happen for several years till the current contract is up for renewal, unfortunately.... Also... I'd love to see it scheduled in the shadow of the NFL playoffs, culminating with the Championship Game on the day before the Super Bowl... But again, then it conflicts with the next semester for the players, and I wouldn't be suprised if some of them would be academically inellegible.

... BTW, I hate to admit it, but I really do care about those no-name games... Hell, I haven't found a college football game I don't like... I'm watching Villanova v App St right now....
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information