Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweed on trade block

Threads : 8
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by exNCite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was behind and low, but not that much. Hines Ward catches that ball 9 out of 10 times I'll bet. Sweed is on a very short leash IMHO.
    True that Hines might have caught that ball, but he's not 6-5 either...I imagine it's hard for a tall guy to get that low for a catch.

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I wouldn't think anybody is going to offer much for Sweed and his dropping problem. Maybe this is the Steelers idea of a wake-up call, who knows, but if he ever starts catching the ball, this kid is gonna be a stud.

I like the idea of giving him work against cleveland in a low pressure situations and let him start building his confidence.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Yea.... If he didn't need a sports psychologist before, he does now.

.... I think we're gonna be stuck with him for the season. Besides, even admitting he's not worth the place where we drafted him, I would think they would want SOME value for him..... They are just "fishing" right now, and I doubt any other team will take the bait.
    What I dont understand is what happened to the kid...he never had as much of a problem with drops as he's had in the NFl before...quite amazing actually.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    What I dont understand is what happened to the kid...he never had as much of a problem with drops as he's had in the NFl before...quite amazing actually.
    Who was the guy that told you Sweed would be a bust when we drafted him??

Threads : 137
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anyone remember that dude over on SN - Clock101? He was a real Sweed slurper, used to say "Sweed can catch", "Sweed can block", etc?

Whatever happened to that guy? He virtually lived over there, but I haven't seen him around in a while during my lurking.

Threads : 48

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetchuck View Post
    Anyone remember that dude over on SN - Clock101? He was a real Sweed slurper, used to say "Sweed can catch", "Sweed can block", etc?

Whatever happened to that guy? He virtually lived over there, but I haven't seen him around in a while during my lurking.
    That guy was a douce of epic proportions.Maybe he after finally realizing how much Sweed blows??

Threads : 9

Guys like that don't completely go away (unless it's to prison), they just change their user-names.
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BigBen2112 View Post
    Me either.... He seemed to have a decent rep in college..... Enough so that we took him as high as we did.
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    I'm not sure anyone could have caught that pass thrown to Sweed in the Lions game. It was behind him and low. If the coaches are blaming that drop on Sweed then shame on them. I agree with you. Our mantra going into the Browns game should be to grab a sizeable lead, bring in Sweed and just keep throwing at this kid.
    That is good to know. I was forced to listen to the game on TV. I didn't even know he was playing in the game till I saw a few Sweed threads pop up afterwords. If they can get something for him fine but if not I still have some hope for him. It is just going to be extra tough for him now because I doubt there is much he could do to get the #3 spot back... well injury.

Threads : 82

Me either.... He seemed to have a decent rep in college..... Enough so that we took him as high as we did.
    They claimed that they were looking at the possibility of taking him with the first pick until Mendy fell to them. Could be BS but I remember that being said.

Threads : 22

I think sometimes people just have a slower adjustment to the NFL.

In college you can go on PURE talent. Pros, a lot more mental than some of these guys are used to.

Even guys like Hines took awhile to actually make a mark. And, look at gus like Nate who we complained about for a couple years, then went on to make big $$ and drop passes for someone else.

Threads : 9

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalks View Post
    And, look at guys like Nate who we complained about for a couple years, then went on to make big $$ and drop passes for someone else.

"The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Threads : 1632

Draft Analysis: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas Longhorns
    April 17, 2008
    16:04:32

By Carland B. Whitaker
    Edited by Herija C. Green

A preseason All-American, University of Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed was viewed as one of the nation's top receivers in the summer of 2007, but halfway through the year, Sweed's senior season was cut short by an injury. After struggling through six games, Sweed underwent surgery in mid-October to repair severely damaged ligaments in his wrist; an injury that happened during spring camp. Thus, after recording 46 receptions for 801 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior, Sweed's final season at Texas ended with just 19 receptions for 306 yards and three touchdowns.

Before missing half of the season in 2007, Sweed had been named to the All-Big 12 first-team in '06 following an honorable mention the previous season. He finished his career second all-time at the University of Texas with 20 touchdown receptions and his 124 receptions rank sixth all-time. He had made 39 consecutive starts, beginning halfway through his redshirt freshman year, before being sidelined last season. Despite the injury, Sweed is expected to be one of the first receivers taken and is a possible first-round pick.

PositivesSweed is a big receiver (6-foot-3 7/8, 215 pounds) with long arms and soft hands. Scouts consider him tough, strong and possessing good ball skills. The fifth-year senior can overpower smaller corners trying to jam him at the line and is not afraid to run the tough routes across the middle. He can propel his body well into the air and has strong hands to fight for the jump ball, making him even more difficult for cornerbacks to defend.

Sweed runs quality routes and is a natural at locating the soft spots in the zone. He has excellent body control, allowing him to use his size to shield the ball from defensive backs while also making him dangerous while working the sidelines. Sweed can make defenders miss in the open field or can break through arm tackles. He has a tremendous work ethic, which should help him succeed at the next level.

NegativesA bit raw and unpolished when it comes to route running, Sweed lacks some crispness going into and coming out of breaks and is inconsistent in his execution as well. Concentration has also been an issue,which sometimes leads to him not getting into proper position to make a reception or looking upfield before he has the ball in his possession - both of which can result in drops. Despite his size, Sweed is not an overpowering blocker and can shy away from engaging defenders when runs are called to his side.

The left wrist was a major problem for him that eventually required season-ending surgery. It is supposed to be close to 100 percent, but it still raises some questions about his durability.

Expected Draft PlacementSweed is among the top receivers in the 2008 NFL Draft and should be selected in the latter stages of the first round or early in the second. The Seattle Seahawks have shown a great deal of interest in him because wide receiver D.J. Hackett (Carolina Panthers) departed during free agency and the team’s No. 1 receiver, Deion Branch (knee), is recovering from ACL surgery. Receiver Bobby Engram is 35 and wideout Nate Burleson is inconsistent, which makes receiver an area of need for Seattle. Thus, if he is still on the board when the Seahawks get their first pick (25th overall), Sweed may be a good fit and might be able to make a difference. Other teams that could have some interest in Sweed in Round 1 include the Philadelphia Eagles (19th), Tennessee Titans (24th), Dallas Cowboys (28th) and San Francisco 49ers (29th). If he falls into the second round, don't expect him to last long as several teams picking in the top 10 have needs at the receiver position.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/87735/160

Sweed has been a real head scratcher. He should have likely gone in the first round that year...but fell to the 2nd...and now has forgotten how to catch. His targets vs catches in college were great. He caught the ball when thrown to him...now he couldn't catch a cold.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    Draft Analysis: Limas Sweed, WR, Texas Longhorns
    April 17, 2008
    16:04:32

By Carland B. Whitaker
    Edited by Herija C. Green

A preseason All-American, University of Texas wide receiver Limas Sweed was viewed as one of the nation's top receivers in the summer of 2007, but halfway through the year, Sweed's senior season was cut short by an injury. After struggling through six games, Sweed underwent surgery in mid-October to repair severely damaged ligaments in his wrist; an injury that happened during spring camp. Thus, after recording 46 receptions for 801 yards and 12 touchdowns as a junior, Sweed's final season at Texas ended with just 19 receptions for 306 yards and three touchdowns.

Before missing half of the season in 2007, Sweed had been named to the All-Big 12 first-team in '06 following an honorable mention the previous season. He finished his career second all-time at the University of Texas with 20 touchdown receptions and his 124 receptions rank sixth all-time. He had made 39 consecutive starts, beginning halfway through his redshirt freshman year, before being sidelined last season. Despite the injury, Sweed is expected to be one of the first receivers taken and is a possible first-round pick.

PositivesSweed is a big receiver (6-foot-3 7/8, 215 pounds) with long arms and soft hands. Scouts consider him tough, strong and possessing good ball skills. The fifth-year senior can overpower smaller corners trying to jam him at the line and is not afraid to run the tough routes across the middle. He can propel his body well into the air and has strong hands to fight for the jump ball, making him even more difficult for cornerbacks to defend.

Sweed runs quality routes and is a natural at locating the soft spots in the zone. He has excellent body control, allowing him to use his size to shield the ball from defensive backs while also making him dangerous while working the sidelines. Sweed can make defenders miss in the open field or can break through arm tackles. He has a tremendous work ethic, which should help him succeed at the next level.

NegativesA bit raw and unpolished when it comes to route running, Sweed lacks some crispness going into and coming out of breaks and is inconsistent in his execution as well. Concentration has also been an issue,which sometimes leads to him not getting into proper position to make a reception or looking upfield before he has the ball in his possession - both of which can result in drops. Despite his size, Sweed is not an overpowering blocker and can shy away from engaging defenders when runs are called to his side.

The left wrist was a major problem for him that eventually required season-ending surgery. It is supposed to be close to 100 percent, but it still raises some questions about his durability.

Expected Draft PlacementSweed is among the top receivers in the 2008 NFL Draft and should be selected in the latter stages of the first round or early in the second. The Seattle Seahawks have shown a great deal of interest in him because wide receiver D.J. Hackett (Carolina Panthers) departed during free agency and the team’s No. 1 receiver, Deion Branch (knee), is recovering from ACL surgery. Receiver Bobby Engram is 35 and wideout Nate Burleson is inconsistent, which makes receiver an area of need for Seattle. Thus, if he is still on the board when the Seahawks get their first pick (25th overall), Sweed may be a good fit and might be able to make a difference. Other teams that could have some interest in Sweed in Round 1 include the Philadelphia Eagles (19th), Tennessee Titans (24th), Dallas Cowboys (28th) and San Francisco 49ers (29th). If he falls into the second round, don't expect him to last long as several teams picking in the top 10 have needs at the receiver position.

http://www.kffl.com/article.php/87735/160
    That is all true. However, for the most part he did catch the balls thrown his way in college. I also doubt that his wrist injury is affecting him much now...maybe im wrong.
    Hidden Content

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information