Thread: Pitt meets again with Miami OH coach

Threads : 29

Default Pitt meets again with Miami OH coach

Miami of Ohio coach again meeting with Pitt
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010
    By Paul Zeise, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The search for Pitt's next head football coach has heated up over the past 24 hours and it appears, according to sources, that Miami of Ohio coach Michael Haywood is closing in on landing the job.
    Michael Haywood

Haywood was one of the first known candidates to be contacted and interviewed by Pitt last week and he is now the first one who has been brought to campus for a second interview as well as to meet with Chancellor Mark Nordenberg and other key people involved with the hiring process.

A spokesman for Pitt would not confirm or deny the that Haywood is on campus interviewing and stressed that "the job has not yet been offered to anyone." But sources around both the Miami and Pitt programs believe he will have the job offered to him today and will quickly accept.

If all goes well today, Haywood could be introduced as the next coach as early as tomorrow and then would immediately get started on assembling a staff and trying to retain most of Pitt's nationally ranked recruiting class.

If hired, Haywood would become Pitt's first African-American head football coach. He has been the coach of the Redhawks for the past two seasons and has led them to a record of 10-15.

However, that record doesn't tell his entire story, as he took over an awful program and, after going 1-11 in his first season, led the Redhawks to a record of 9-4 this season. They won the Mid-American Conference championship game over Northern Illinois.

Prior to arriving at Miami, Haywood was the offensive coordinator under Charlie Weis at Notre Dame from 2005 to 2008 and had stops at Texas and LSU as well.
    Paul Zeise: pzeise@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1720

First published on December 15, 2010 at 11:01 am

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10349...#ixzz18Ct6TaVp

Threads : 13

Default Re: Pitt meets again with Miami OH coach

F U C K this move.
    WVU gets the hot coach on the block, which is exactly what PITT needed to 1. sell tickets and 2. Re-energize it's fan base.

This is a lateral move from Wanny. I'd rather them have just kept him around.

This guy is a head coach for 2 seasons at a MAC school, wins 1 MAC championship, and Nordenberg and Pederson are all over him.

This reeks of cheapness.
    I bet PITT takes a step back over the next 2 yrs, Pederson is fired thusly, and we're back to square one.
    Take it to the bank.*

*the ****ing bank
    Last edited by jeffkingsmustache; Dec-15-2010 at 08:31 PM.

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkingsmustache View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    F U C K this move.
    WVU gets the hot coach on the block, which is exactly what PITT needed to 1. sell tickets and 2. Re-energize it's fan base.

This guy is a head coach for 2 seasons at a MAC school, wins 1 MAC championship, and Nordenberg and Pederson are all over him.

This reeks of cheapness.
    I bet PITT takes a step back over the next 2 yrs, Pederson is fired thusly, and we're back to square one.
    Take it to the bank.
    Well, you stole my thunder, because I was basically going to post the same thing and have been posting the same thing on some Pitt boards. Why did they even fire Wanny in the first place if this is the direction they're going to go? This guy basically has the same type of coaching philosophy as Dave, and his track record isn't that great. Makes no sense except the money part of it. He comes cheap compared to a Holgersen or any of the other top candidates out there. If that's all Nordenberg and Perderson care about then good luck putting butts in the seats next year! For their sakes, this guy better come in here and be a big surprise. Otherwise, Pitt football is just going to take another step back. Like I said in the other thread I started about Holgersen going to WVU, this whole process has just been handled foolishly by them!

Threads : 691

Source: Pitt hires Mike HaywoodEmail Print Comments39 By Joe Schad
    ESPN
    Archive
    Pittsburgh has hired Miami of Ohio coach Mike Haywood as its new head coach, a source close to the situation said Wednesday night.

Big East blog
    ESPN.com's Brian Bennett writes about all things Big East in his conference blog.

• Blog network:
    College Football Nation

The five-year deal has been agreed to and could be announced as early as Thursday.

Haywood led the RedHawks to a turnaround from 1-11 in 2009 to 9-4 in 2010, including 8-1 in conference play. Miami beat Northern Illinois 26-21 in the MAC championship game and will face Middle Tennessee in the GoDaddy.com Bowl on Jan. 6.

It has not been determined if Haywood will coach Miami in its bowl game, but the late nature of the game makes it less likely.

Haywood succeeds Dave Wannstedt, who resigned under pressure after six seasons. He will be the first African-American football or men's basketball coach in Pittsburgh history.

Haywood played and coached at Notre Dame and has also coached at LSU and Texas.

Joe Schad is a college football reporter for ESPN.

http://Source: Pitt hires Mike Haywo...9 By Joe Schad
    Are these morons getting dumber or just louder-Mayor Quimby

Threads : 126

I think Pitt should just join the MAC while they're at it.....in football anyway.

Threads : 6

This is such a suck *** move it doesn't deserve additional commentary.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkingsmustache View Post
    F U C K this move.

This reeks of cheapness.
    Take it to the bank.*

*the ****ing bank
    Perfect response, nothing I can add.

Threads : 102
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

There´s just as much justification for condemning this move as there is for praising it at this point. Now, I ****ing can´t stand Ron Cook. But, once in awhile I agree with him. This might be his best column of the year:

Cook: Pitt's Haywood deserves a chance
    Friday, December 17, 2010
    By Ron Cook, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Keith Srakocic/Associated Press
    Michael Haywood answers questions after he was introduced as Pitt's new head coach Thursday.

A lot of Pitt fans are ridiculous. They stopped going to the football games at Heinz Field because they were disgusted with the program and wanted coach Dave Wannstedt fired. Now that he's gone and Mike Haywood has been hired as his replacement, they are screaming that Pitt "settled" for Haywood after striking out with Temple's Al Golden, that Pitt is too cheap to hire a proven coach, that Pitt never will be a big-time winner again in college football. Some even want Wannstedt back.

Ridiculous.

Really, is it so wrong to give Haywood a chance?

I once made the bad mistake of lambasting a Pitt hire before the man coached a game. When unproven Jamie Dixon was promoted from Ben Howland's staff to take over the basketball team after Howland left for UCLA after the 2002-03 season -- Pitt's first choice had been Atlantic Coast Conference Coach of the Year Skip Prosser, a Carnegie native who was at Wake Forest -- I wrote: "There are very few ways to screw up a top 10 men's basketball program. ... Pitt found one yesterday. ... This is insanity."

No, it isn't one of my prouder moments in journalism.

I'm not saying Haywood will have a Dixon-like impact at Pitt. But I don't know that he won't. Most of what I've been hearing about him is positive. I have great respect for the man who hired him -- athletic director Steve Pederson -- and trust his judgment even though Pederson failed with his last football hire -- Bill Callahan -- when he was at Nebraska. He tells me Haywood has an energy about him that will be contagious with his team. I believe him. Certainly, I'm willing to wait to see what Haywood can do and how the players respond to him.

As first impressions go, Haywood's was pretty good Thursday, although it would have been nice to see him smile just once and at least make it seem like he was thrilled to get the job. You know, the way Clint Hurdle did when the Pirates hired him. Haywood offered an explanation that came close to being apology. "That's one of my bad habits. I get a little too intense when it comes to football."

That was clear a little later when Haywood talked about his coaching philosophy. It's not every day you hear Freddy Krueger mentioned at a football news conference. "When they think he's gone, he's back," Haywood said. "When they think you're beaten, you're back. You have to be dangerous and relentless for 60 minutes. Don't look at the scoreboard because the scoreboard doesn't matter."

Sounds good to me.

All but the part about the scoreboard not mattering, that is.

But I get the man's point.

That Haywood doesn't have a big name and comes to Pitt from Miami (Ohio) isn't the least bit troubling to me. Had anyone heard of Howland from Northern Arizona when Pitt hired him in 1999? Pitt tried the "splash" route when it hired Wannstedt, and you know how that turned out. I'm also not convinced that Golden would have been a better choice, even though he took a better job at Miami (Florida). A couple of things seem worth pointing out: One, Haywood's Miami team won the Mid-American Athletic Conference this season, not Golden's Temple squad; and two, Miami beat Temple, 23-3.

I'm just sayin'.

Maybe that won't make you feel any better about Haywood's hiring. Let me try this: The Pitt coaching situation, as of right now, Dec. 17, 2010, is more stabile than Penn State's and West Virginia's.

Seriously.

Penn State has a coach it can't push out even if it wants to replace him, which I believe it does. Joe Paterno turns 84 Tuesday. He says he isn't going anywhere. Good luck to Penn State with that.

There's no doubt Pitt's situation is more stabile than West Virginia's. It brought in Dana Holgorsen from Oklahoma State to be coach Bill Stewart's offensive coordinator next season, then take over as coach in 2012. The problem is Stewart doesn't want to give up the job and can't possibly want Holgorsen around. This should make for a terrible situation for everyone. The players won't know who is the boss. And what about the assistant coaches? Are they loyal to Stewart or do they suck up to Holgorsen in the hope they'll be kept on his staff? What a working environment. What a mess. If the West Virginia brass doesn't want Stewart -- and it has every right to feel that way -- it should just put him out of his misery and fire him now and let Holgorsen take over immediately. That would be much better for all involved.

But those are West Virginia's and Penn State's issues. Today's topic is the Pitt program. I can't say it's better today than it was 10 days ago when Wannstedt was fired. But I refuse to say it's worse.

Give Haywood a chance.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10351...#ixzz18U2OIwCc

Threads : 3263

I agree with you beerman, and I also agree with the article you posted...

... This particular hire didn't give me the "warm fuzzy" feeling, but we gotta give the man a chance before condemning him... Personally, I wanted Leach, or someone comparable, but I'll give this guy a chance before I start screaming about it...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82

Little bit on the outside as I am a very small Pitt fan but it looks good and bad. But you have to give him a chance because for one you have no choice right now. If he gets the program to win and move the program further then they did the right thing. You won't know the answer for a couple years. Not a sexy hire. But that doesn't mean it won't be good and it doesn't mean the sexy hires would have worked out. Personally I think they hired him mainly to instill discipline. There is defo a need in that department.

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Personally, I wanted Leach, or someone comparable, but I'll give this guy a chance before I start screaming about it...
    Agreed.I mean,just look at how long we had to endure Dave Dumbass as coach.

Threads : 20

Here's some pointers on Haywood.

A) He comes from a pretty good coaching tree, having learned the ropes under Nick Saban and Mack Brown, before moving on to Notre Dame. At each stop, he had recruiting responsibilities. According to both Brown and Charlie Weis, Haywood was tabbed "the most tireless recruiter in the game." He can recruit with the best of them, and has some Ohio and WPA recruiting roots, so locally shouldn't be an issue. Difference here is, instead of C and D level prospects, he'll be able to recruit some A and B level guys.

B) He's a guy who brings the most out of his players. I don't think Wanny ever fully did that. This guy could motivate sheep to play at their best.

C) He took over a Miami program that won 17 games in 5 years.. He led them to 10 in two, 9 this year alone. He inherited an empty cabinet and turned it around rather quickly.

Was he the "chic" pick? No.

Was he "option 1?" No. In my thought, Golden was their "splash", with Holgorsen being option 2. When Miami pounced on Golden, and they couldn't reach contractual figures with Holgorsen, I think they quickly scrambled to a guy who they had their eyes on as a backup option from the start. However remember, the final option may be the best at times.

Pitt will be fine. Haywood's a hell of a coach who merely lacks the "name" recognition. Also, when it comes to name value, just remember-- just because it shines doesn't make it gold.
    Listen Live, Every Thursday Night at 10 PM Eastern Time

Hidden Content (in progress)

Hidden Content

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information