Thread: Pitt's Football "De-Commits"

Threads : 277

Default Pitt's Football "De-Commits"

Does anyone have a list of the kids who have decommitted from Pitt since Wanny "retired?"

Threads : 197

Default Re: Pitt's Football "De-Commits"

I think there are only two officially so far, but several others have said they're going to see what happens then consider their options.

LB Ben Kline seems to be the only one to commit elsewhere as he changed to Penn State.

ATH (likely WR or DB) Bill Belton has taken back his verbal commitment. He didn't specifically rule out Pitt, but it doesn't sound like good news. He was one of their their 2 or 3 best recruits this year (a consensus 4 star guy) and had offers from a lot of big time schools.

Threads : 13

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does anyone have a list of the kids who have decommitted from Pitt since Wanny "retired?"
    Bill Belton an "athlete" from NJ, and who some people say was PITT's top recruit is the only one thus far.

If I'm not mistaken, Friday begins a "dead period" In recruiting.

Part of the reason why the hire was made this week before Friday, so the new coach could contact the members of the incoming class and Beg them not to go somewhere else. The shame of it is that this incoming class may be the best than Wanny recruited in his entire tenure. ESPN had the class ranked in its top 25 (at 21).

The other "big" recruitis to watch to see if they stay would be Gary Nova a pro style QB from NJ, Jameel Poteat a RB from Harrisburg, Kyshoen Jarrett CB, Marquise Wright DT, Terrell Chestnut S, and Lafayette Pitts, who went to Woodland Hills.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by jeffkingsmustache View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Bill Belton an "athlete" from NJ, and who some people say was PITT's top recruit is the only one thus far.
    [/HIGH-LIGHT]
    If I'm not mistaken, Friday begins a "dead period" In recruiting.

Part of the reason why the hire was made this week before Friday, so the new coach could contact the members of the incoming class and Beg them not to go somewhere else. The shame of it is that this incoming class may be the best than Wanny recruited in his entire tenure. ESPN had the class ranked in its top 25 (at 21).

The other "big" recruitis to watch to see if they stay would be Gary Nova a pro style QB from NJ, Jameel Poteat a RB from Harrisburg, Kyshoen Jarrett CB, Marquise Wright DT, Terrell Chestnut S, and Lafayette Pitts, who went to Woodland Hills.

There was another kid last week, I forget his name, a 3 star LB from the East/Central part of PA, that de-committed from Pitt and signed with PSU.

Yes, Ben Kline is that LB as jnn pointed out above

I did see one report that said Ben Kline's switch didn't actually have much to do with Wannstedt and he was likely going to make the move anyway. Just one of those kids you get every couple years who backs out of a verbal commitment. I think both Pitt and Penn State have had a few kids do it on signing day the last several years. It is pretty rare that someone would do it the day after the coach is let go, especially since it wasn't seen as something that was necessarily inevitable until that day.

I heard that Kline didn't actually get an offer from Penn State until after he committed to Pitt and he went on his Penn State visit about a week before he made the decision while Wannstedt was still in place. The Wannstedt thing just gave him an easy excuse.

Threads : 277

I thought Zeise reported in the PG today that five have "'decommitted." See below.

** Winslow Township (N.J.) four-star receiver Bill Belton is the latest player to decommitt from the Panthers and he will now take visits to Penn State, West Virginia and Cincinnati (according to both major recruiting sites Pantherdigest and Pantherlair). By my count that is five players who have decommitted from the Panthers since the announcement that Dave Wannstedt was being pushed into an administrative role and relieved of his coaching duties. I know there is panic out there about the recruiting class and here is what I'd say - it is not a big deal. Really, at this point it is not it is not a big deal, even though you'd rather not lose talented players. For one thing, you want Haywood to have a few scholarships available to go recruit some kids who are going to fit what he is looking for in this first class so the fact that a few guys have decommitted is not the end of the world. Also, I say this every year on signing day - nobody knows how good these guys are until they put on the pads and start playing against college athletes so there is no reason to be upset about players who may or may not fulfill their potential. You'd rather have six or seven guys in this class who are recruited by Haywood and fit in his system.

Jeff Hafley, who has been an assistant coach at Pitt the past 5 seasons, has joined the Rutgers coaching staff.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10352/1112014-233.stm

This is a more significant loss than one might think, as many people fingered Hafley as one of the most important assistants that new coach Mike Haywood should make every attempt to retain. Hafley has played an important role in recruiting in the state of New Jersey since coming to Pitt. It will be interesting to see if any of the commits he played a role in recruiting will stick around.

It looks like one recruit, DE Marquise Wright, from NJ is already looking elsewhere. He took an official visit to the U. of Maryland over the weekend.

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bishop McDevitt running back Jameel Poteat de-commits from Pittsburgh

Article here:

http://highschoolsports.pennlive.com...om-pittsburgh/

4 star ATH Bill Belton (mentioned above) is no longer considering Pitt from what I've heard. I don't believe he's picked another school, but Pitt seems to be out of the running.

4 star RB Jameel Poteat (mentioned above) is going to Cincinnati

4 star CB Kyshoen Jarrett has changed his commitment to Virginia Tech. He's actually Virginia Tech's highest rated recruit now.

That's 3 of their top 5 who have officially left the team. 4 star CB Terrell Chestnut's commitment seems very shaky right now, though he hasn't made any announcements. 4 star DL Marquise Wright has also reopened his recruiting and has been taking visits to other schools. If both of those players leave then that's 5 of the top 5.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information