Thread: On The Steelers: Arians, Roethlisberger agree on red-zone changes

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default On The Steelers: Arians, Roethlisberger agree on red-zone changes

On The Steelers: Arians, Roethlisberger agree on red-zone changes
    Friday, December 17, 2010
    By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers' quarterback Ben Roethlisberger on his team's red zone play: "We're trying to take the mentality of not trying to score every time."Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and coordinator Bruce Arians discussed the Steelers' red-zone problems on offense this week, and both came to the same conclusion: They are held back by their eagerness to reach the end zone.Could the key to scoring six points instead of three actually lie in the philosophy of trying too hard? Might they reach their goal by settling for less on first down?

The Steelers rank 27th in the NFL, scoring touchdowns just 44.4 percent of the time once they pull inside the opponent's 20.

"B.A. and I talked about it a little bit the other day," Roethlisberger said. "I think we both had the same mindset; you get down there and it's 'how can we score on this play?' "

Instead of trying to get it all on first down, they plan to take a different approach.

"We're trying to take the mentality of not trying to score every time," Roethlisberger said. "You know, you get down there and you almost get greedy -- score, score, score, score -- where maybe it's better to take the 5-yard route, put yourself in second-and-5 and now you can run the ball, and, if you get 1 or 2 yards, you're in third-and-short."

Against Cincinnati, the Steelers had first downs at the Bengals' 5 once and at the 9 another time and settled for field goals. They reached the Bengals' 15 on another occasion and punted after going backward. In Baltimore the previous week, they had a first down at the 2 and wound up kicking a field goal.

"Our first-and-10 passing has not been very good," Arians noted. "It's probably a little bit of my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple short ones."

That was one of two areas Arians mentioned that have failed the Steelers in the red zone. He called the team's running game inside the 20 "poor."

"We're averaging about 1.5 a carry from the 20 down," Arians said. "Actually in our goal-line offense, we've been very, very good; it's just we don't get in there often."

Arians blamed the blocking and not halfback Rashard Mendenhall for the inability to run effectively in the red zone.

"It's not him. We have to block better. It's normal this time of the year. About everything you do is on tape; you're not going to surprise anybody with very many new things. You got to block 'em and make people miss."

The Steelers have cracked the 20 36 times and come away with 16 touchdowns and 16 field goals. It has become exasperating for them recently because the offense has managed just one touchdown in the past 11 quarters, on a 9-yard drive to beat Baltimore after Troy Polamalu created a turnover.

"We want to score touchdowns,'' coach Mike Tomlin proclaimed this week. "In the recent past, we haven't done as well as we'd like. There are a myriad of reasons, usually centered around execution and detail. We're going to work toward getting better this week ... we're not executing in that area to our liking because we're not executing in that area to our liking."

"When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 150
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: On The Steelers: Arians, Roethlisberger agree on red-zone changes

Quote Originally Posted by Hambert5958 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They are held back by their eagerness to reach the end zone.Could the key to scoring six points instead of three actually lie in the philosophy of trying too hard? Might they reach their goal by settling for less on first down?

That makes no ****ing sense to me.

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    That makes no ****ing sense to me.
    I think because Ben is looking for the EZ and when the play fails they are 2/10 or worse. Think is running it every down hasn't worked either. Maybe they are saying they are leaving short pass plays on the field?

Threads : 60

I thought this was from the Onion and it was a joke. Then I saw it was from the Gazette and this is serious. How ****ing sad.

Threads : 26

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    I thought this was from the Onion and it was a joke. Then I saw it was from the Gazette and this is serious. How ****ing sad.
    at least there's

Threads : 215

I believe this to be part of the problem!

Threads : 48
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wait,its taken them this long into the season to realize it??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information