Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Game 14 : Steelers vs. Jets : 12.19.10

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Game 14 : Steelers vs. Jets : 12.19.10

Last edited by Kipper; Oct-07-2012 at 11:35 PM.

Default Re: Game 14 : Steelers vs. Jets : 12.19.10

Jets-Steelers Preview
    STATS LLC

The Pittsburgh Steelers and New York Jets have each struggled with the ball recently, combining for 13 consecutive quarters without an offensive touchdown.

While Pittsburgh has still found ways to win, the same can't be said for New York.

The Steelers look for their fifth straight victory Sunday against the slumping Jets, who are searching for their first win in Pittsburgh in franchise history -- a victory that would be especially meaningful for wide receiver Santonio Holmes in his return to Heinz Field.

Pittsburgh (10-3) has allowed 9.0 points per game during its winning streak, scoring two defensive touchdowns in last Sunday's 23-7 win against Cincinnati. That has helped make up for an offense that has totaled one TD in its last 11 quarters since scoring in the first during a 19-16 overtime win Nov. 28 at Buffalo.

Troy Polamalu has a huge reason the first-place Steelers have a one-game lead over Baltimore in the AFC North, but the star safety is likely out Sunday after missing practice all week due to a strained right Achilles' tendon and a sore calf. Polamalu, whose late sack and forced fumble set up Pittsburgh's winning touchdown in a 13-10 victory over the Ravens on Dec. 5, has four interceptions in his last four games, including two -- one returned for a touchdown -- against the Bengals.

"No one is playing as good as Troy Polamalu in football right now, in my opinion," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said. "When we need a play, he provides it."

Without Polamalu, Pittsburgh may need more help from its offense, which could receive a boost from the possible return of tight end Heath Miller from a concussion. Still, Ben Roethlisberger has thrown only one touchdown pass in his last three games, and running back Rashard Mendenhall has cracked the 100-yard mark once in his last 10.

Receiver Mike Wallace, who had three consecutive 100-yard games and four touchdowns from Nov. 8-21, has only 187 receiving yards and no touchdowns over his last three.

"We just have to finish drives. That's our biggest problem," Wallace said. "We don't really ever have a problem moving the ball. It's just finishing drives."

If Roethlisberger and Wallace plan to connect, they will have to contend with the Jets' Darrelle Revis, whose reputation as a shut-down cornerback doesn't seem to scare Wallace.

"I don't care about nobody. He's just another guy. He's a real good player, but, hey, I'm a real good player myself," Wallace said. "I don't fear nobody and I don't back down from nobody."

Wallace replaced Holmes in the Steelers' starting lineup after Pittsburgh traded Holmes to the Jets for a fifth-round pick April 12.

While Holmes was the MVP of the 2009 Super Bowl for the Steelers, his off-the-field problems included a four-game suspension at the start of this season for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy. At the time, he said he was "very shocked" to be traded, and said he's been looking forward to Sunday's return.

"It's been on my mind for quite some time, I just never let it play a factor until now," Holmes said. "I spent four years there. It's definitely time to show these guys, 'Why let me go?'"

Although Holmes leads the Jets with 68.9 receiving yards per game, New York's offense hasn't provided much help lately.

The Jets (9-4) were held out of the end zone for the second straight game during Sunday's 10-6 home loss to Miami, dropping their second straight for the first time this season.

Coach Rex Ryan said during the third quarter he considered benching Mark Sanchez, who has four interceptions and no touchdowns in his last two games. He threw his 12th interception of the season and finished 17 of 44 for 216 yards against the Dolphins.

Despite Sanchez's struggles, Ryan intends to stick with his second-year quarterback.

"Mark is our quarterback, he's my quarterback," Ryan said Monday. "He'll always be our starting quarterback. Even if I did yank him for whatever reason, he's our quarterback. We're going to go as far as he takes us."

The Jets hope Sanchez can help lead them to their first-ever victory in Pittsburgh. The franchise is 0-7 all-time in the Steel City, including a 20-17 divisional playoff loss Jan. 15, 2005.

With Sanchez off target last Sunday, the running game fell flat as well. LaDainian Tomlinson and Shonn Greene combined for a season-low 66 rushing yards, averaging just 2.4 per carry.

Things don't figure to get any easier against the Steelers' top-ranked run defense, which is allowing 60.1 yards per game -- the only team giving up fewer than 87. During its winning streak, Pittsburgh has held opponents to 53.0 yards per game on the ground.

New York's offense took another hit when right tackle Damien Woody had arthroscopic knee surgery Wednesday. He may miss the remainder of the regular season.

The Jets, who lost 45-3 to New England on Dec. 6, have slipped two games behind the Patriots in the AFC East, but they still hold a two-game lead over three teams in the wild-card chase.

New York's strength and conditioning coach, Sal Alosi, won't be on the sidelines for this one. Alosi was suspended indefinitely after deliberately tripping a Dolphins player along the sideline during a punt last weekend.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/nflpre...meId=301219023

This Week's Line

2010 Trends (Regular Season)
    The Jets are 7-6 ATS.
    The Jets are 4-2 ATS away.
    The Jets are 2-1 ATS as the underdog.
    The Jets are 1-1 ATS as an away underdog.
    The Steelers are 8-5 ATS.
    The Steelers are 4-2 ATS at home.
    The Steelers are 5-4 ATS as the favorite.
    The Steelers are 3-2 ATS as a home favorite.

Threads : 691

Busted out my new Timmons home jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Busted out my new Timmons home jersey.
    Cool!.... I'm sorta enjoying the late start today... Got my soft fuzzy Steelers throw, leftover turkey sammiches, and my laptop... Wifey went shopping, so it's nice and quiet...

Threads : 691

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    Cool!.... I'm sorta enjoying the late start today... Got my soft fuzzy Steelers throw, leftover turkey sammiches, and my laptop... Wifey went shopping, so it's nice and quiet...
    Sounds like your day is off to a fine start.

Quote Originally Posted by buccoray61 View Post
    Sounds like your day is off to a fine start.
    Definitely...

No complaints...

... Let's just hope that the day ends with a win!...

...HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!!!...

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Graphic is up!

The GDT will be getting a taste of "no Kipper" today as I get to entertain my parents

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Graphic is up!

The GDT will be getting a taste of "no Kipper" today as I get to entertain my parents
    Lucky you...

... My "entertaining" of the in-laws yesterday almost gave me a melt-down...

Threads : 138

If anyone has a stream link, I would greatly appreciate it....

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The catch with later games is that I can get more wound-up than I do for the 1.00 starts.

Just watching the Saints - Ravens game: As much as I like the Ravens going down by 7, Reed made contact with Breesus' helmet. Result: Penalty. Ben get a busted beak. Result: Bugger all on toast, hold the toast.

This season has really made me look for that kind of discrepancy. I'll be looking for the usual amount of uncalled holds on Deebo and Woodley later.

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    If anyone has a stream link, I would greatly appreciate it....
    These should be available at gametime....

http://www.channelsurfing.net/watch-nfl-12.html
    http://atdhe.net/31112/watch-new-yor...burgh-steelers

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    Just watching the Saints - Ravens game.
    Yea, same here... Sorta puttering around the house, so I missed that play... But I do like them being down in the score...

When Jets have the ball: The Jets have scored just nine points in the past two games and haven't scored a touchdown in nine quarters. They will be facing a defense that leads the AFC in fewest points allowed (198). QB Mark Sanchez has the lowest completion percentage (53.3) of any AFC quarterback and has thrown at least one interception in the past eight games. Sanchez likes to spread the ball to different receivers, but especially likes to dump the ball to RB LaDainian Tomlinson, who leads the team with 837 yards rushing and also has a team-high 49 receptions. Sanchez will look to make big plays with former Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes (41 catches, 620 yards) and Braylon Edwards (17.7 ypc, 6 TDs). Sanchez has been sacked 26 times while the Steelers are tied for the NFL lead with 39.

When Steelers have the ball: The offense has had problems with productivity and efficiency. The team has scored just two touchdowns in the past three games and the offense has committed 19 major penalties in the past four. But, despite the drought, the Steelers have moved the ball, averaging 358 yards, 21 first downs and 38 minutes in time of possession in those three games. QB Ben Roethlisberger continues to take a pounding behind an offensive line that has allowed him to be sacked 16 times in the past four games. He will face a Jets defense that has 32 sacks and relies on blitz pressure. LB Jason Taylor of Woodland Hills is the league's active career sack leader (1311???2), but his playing time has decreased and he is used only in pass-rush situations. Roethlisberger has thrown just one INT and the offense has committed just three turnovers in the past four games. The Jets have injury problems at safety, where they are down to Brodney Pool and recently signed Emanuel Cook.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Keep an eye on:[/HIGH-LIGHT]

C Nick Mangold ... He's one of the best in the league, a two-time Pro Bowler who will be matched against NT Casey Hampton in a battle that will determine if the Jets can run against the Steelers' No. 1 rush defense. The Jets rank No. 6 in the league in rush offense and have rushed for more than 170 yards three times this season. But the Steelers have allowed only one team to gain more than 75 yards on the ground this season (New England, 103) and have allowed just one 100-yard rusher in the past 47 games.

[HIGH-LIGHT]Intangibles[/HIGH-LIGHT]

The Jets have lost two in a row and scored just nine points in those games. This will be the first time they have been at Heinz Field since they lost an AFC first-round playoff game in overtime there after the 2004 season. In fact, the Jets have never won in Pittsburgh since the 1970 merger (0-7). But they are 5-1 on the road this season, with that lone loss coming Dec. 6 at New England. The Steelers, who are 16-3 all time against the Jets, have won four in a row and can clinch a playoff spot with several possible scenarios.
    Keys to victory

[HIGH-LIGHT]To win, the Jets must ...[/HIGH-LIGHT]

1 Bounce Ben. He might need max protection against a Jets defense that brings pressure from all angles.

2 Gain on the chains. They converted just six of 21 third-down chances against the Dolphins (29 percent), 11 of which were 10 yards or longer.

3 Not have a bad omen. They will be without RT Damien Woody (knee), the first time they will play without a starting offensive lineman since the last game of the 2007 season.

[HIGH-LIGHT]To win, the Steelers must ...[/HIGH-LIGHT]

1 Tone down Holmes. The secondary has to keep their former teammate from making big plays after the catch.

2 Keep Sanchez off the Mark. His erratic performance in the past two games is a big reason for their touchdown drought.

3 Butt heads with Revis. The Steelers never worry about challenging a top defensive back, and they're not about to start now.

Page 1 of 44 12311 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information