Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Changes at the PG (Pirates coverage)

Threads : 197

Default Changes at the PG (Pirates coverage)

I'm not 100% on this information, so I may be a little offer here, but I've talked to a couple people who seem to think they know what's going on.

Dejan posted a weird message over on the PBC blog yesterday. Here's what it said:

> I am absolutely not leaving the PG. I do hope to have what I feel is exciting news to share with you in the very near future. No matter how it turns out, I know that I will remain involved in baseball, and I will remain deeply involved in PG+. I hope you respect that I'm not at liberty to say more right now, as this probably will still take a few days to finish up.

What I'm hearing is that Dejan is shifting into another role at the PG, writing features and blogging on all sports as well as other topics. The Pirates beat will be handed off to someone else, likely Colin Dunlap and Bill Brink.

Threads : 22

Default Re: Changes at the PG (Pirates coverage)

Quote Originally Posted by jnn123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not 100% on this information, so I may be a little offer here, but I've talked to a couple people who seem to think they know what's going on.

Dejan posted a weird message over on the PBC blog yesterday. Here's what it said:

> I am absolutely not leaving the PG. I do hope to have what I feel is exciting news to share with you in the very near future. No matter how it turns out, I know that I will remain involved in baseball, and I will remain deeply involved in PG+. I hope you respect that I'm not at liberty to say more right now, as this probably will still take a few days to finish up.

What I'm hearing is that Dejan is shifting into another role at the PG, writing features and blogging on all sports as well as other topics. The Pirates beat will be handed off to someone else, likely Colin Dunlap and Bill Brink.
    That would be ok with me.

I used to like him at first, but he turned more from a bear writer to a columinist/blogger.

Threads : 91
    Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by moneytalks View Post
    That would be ok with me.

I used to like him at first, but he turned more from a bear writer to a columinist/blogger.
    A bear writer?
    "Nice catch, Hayes. Don't ever ****in' do it again." -Lou Brown

Threads : 22

Quote Originally Posted by Waiting for LaRoche View Post
    A bear writer?
    Good one !!!

BEAT writer ... my fingers

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

That would be disappointing if not for his coverage at spring training alone. He makes good use of his smartphone sending in constant updates. It's like a constant news feed. You'd think with todays technology you would see more people blogging and such from onsite places.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Jnn.... did you e-mail a request for your buddy Chuck Finder to get the beat job?

Threads : 66
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Money Talks

I liked 'bear writer' better.

This has now been made official. Colin Dunlap will be the main writer (which is probably a step backwards) and I assume Bill Brink will be the new Chuck Finder (though he can't possibly be as bad). I can't imagine I'd actually read Dejan as a feature writer, but, again, he can't really be much worse than what they have there already.

Lunatics,

Well, I guess this is hello, then goodbye, then hello again …

As most of you seemed to already know, I am changing roles here at the Post-Gazette, switching from a singular focus on baseball to one where I still will be following the Pirates but covering all sports, both in terms of newspaper features and an all-sports blog here at PG+.

Starting Monday with minicamp in Bradenton, my colleague Colin Dunlap will handle much of the Pirates coverage and also take on prime responsibility for the PBC Blog.

For me, this was something we began discussing several months ago, and the reasoning, really, was threefold:

1. I really welcomed – and am humbled by – the chance to try a role we’ve never had in our department, especially the online aspect. As most of you know from my experience covering the Olympics in the past, I’ve never considered myself limited to one sport, and I’ve always taken a much broader interest. Having the opportunity to remain involved in writing about the Pirates, as well as the Steelers, Penguins, Pitt and everything else, is a dream job for me, really.

2. For a guy who traveled a ton – 115 hotel nights in 2010, from Olympics to spring training to Winter Meetings – I sure would like to be at home more. I have two kids, 9 and 6, and both have grown up essentially accepting that I wouldn’t be at home one of every three nights of the year. That wasn’t fair to anyone in my family. I’ll still travel for the job – including some baseball -- and I’ll still be away from home at times, but nothing like that.

3. Our original plan was for me to take the Pirates coverage through the 2011 season, but going to the Winter Meetings, I realized my heart already was in this new endeavor. On the flight down to Orlando, I was sitting on the AirTran plane jotting down ideas for that, rather than anything related to the Meetings. I really felt I wanted to get started right away, and my editors, actually, had felt that way all along. I was the one who initially offered to hang around through 2011.

Anyway, I’m not really going anywhere. I’ll still be visible in the newspaper and, thus, on post-gazette.com. And I’ll have more of a presence than ever here at PG+ with the new DK’s Blog. (Corny title wasn’t my idea. It was the wife’s, and I couldn’t think of anything else.) On that forum, which you’ll be able to find soon simply by clicking above or on the PG+ home page, I’ll be offering live coverage from local events, as well as views and analysis for the first time in my career. And yes, again, that will include a lot of Pirates. There also will be the daily Morning Links, although those now will encompass all sports, as well as Q&A, chat and all kinds of other possibilities.

Can’t tell you how much I’m looking forward to it, and I hope you will all be along.

Dejan

Threads : 277

In an exchange with a PG columnist--about three months--ago I suggested that DK has to feel rundown and bedraggled from writing daily about a losing franchise which wasn't getting any better.

I am sure this had to be a factor in the change.

How long can you expound on wretchedness and pretend it isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    In an exchange with a PG columnist--about three months--ago I suggested that DK has to feel rundown and bedraggled from writing daily about a losing franchise which wasn't getting any better.

I am sure this had to be a factor in the change.

How long can you expound on wretchedness and pretend it isn't?
    Didn't he stop beating for the Pens at about the same time they stopped annually sucking? Maybe Dejan is the jinx?

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Listening to colin dunlap, you'd swear he hates the Buccos. He never has anything good to say, so I guess it will be more hit pieces from a clueless mediot who really has no understanding of what is going on.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

I don't know what's going on now, but it sounds like Dunlap is out as of today. That might mean Bill Brink takes over full time or we may see Dejan take on more of it again.

Here's Dunlap's latest Tweet:
    Sportswriting, you've been great. But today I decided I'm going to chase other things -- and more important, spend more time w/ my twins.
    Last edited by jnn123; May-23-2011 at 07:31 PM.

Threads : 31

John Perotto will be hired by the PG.

Threads : 8

Threads : 138

Quote Originally Posted by Steelreign View Post
    Listening to colin dunlap, you'd swear he hates the Buccos. He never has anything good to say, .....
    C'mon man, that's a little harsh. He was OK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information