Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BA, Its going to work itself out."

Threads : 188
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default BA, Its going to work itself out."

Bruce Arians speaks
    December 16th, 2010

Here are some excerpts from Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians weekly chat with reporters Thursday.

Q: How concerned are you by the offenses inability to score touchdowns in recent weeks?

A: Its going to work itself out. Weve just got to make some plays. The two areas that have been poor are our running game, and our first and 10 passing has not been very good. Probably a little bit my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple of short ones but it always works itself out.

So 1st and 10 from the Jets 39 Ben goes deep to Wallace down the right sideline, might have been a touchdown had Cromartie not been grabbing Wallace on the play (as we know, no flag). Next a 5 yard run by Mendenhall. Then back to Wallace deep right on 3rd and 5. And again, might have been 6 but for Cromartie getting away with hanging on to Wallace ("Air tight coverage" as Jim Nance called it).

Obviously, they liked the Wallace/Cromartie matchup. But isnt this sequence contrary to what BA said they were going to do. Get the MFing 1st down and keep the drive going. Im not saying never take a shot at the endzone..so then they punt, the Jets return it to the 22.net punt of 12 yards. This possession seemed to be going so well thenwham! It was very frustrating, kinda set the tone for the day..
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 60

Default Re: BA, Its going to work itself out."

Arians is such a poor coach and time and time again he, proves it. How in the hell could Tomlin and the front office keep this bum for next season is beyond me.

I say the safety we took was due to the stupid play call, they might as well invited the Jets into the backfield. Oops, they did.

Also, the receivers and Ben look as if they spend no practice time together at all. How many times now have we seen the receivers run the wrong routes, ball over the wrong shoulder, stopping on a route or what have you. Not enough practice is going on with these guys.

Lebeua too should take a look at his ability to think outside the box. Allowing Sancheeze to run untouched into the endzone was a big screw up on his coaching abilities.

As the annoucers have said and I believe most of you would agree, special teams have always been this franchises weak link.

Despite the kickoff return, I'm still happy with our new kicker. I also believe our punter is just as good as our old punter if not better.

Threads : 91

The safety was due to a missed block but it was still a bad call in that position.

The plain Jane passing at the end of the game was dumb too! We simply can't fool anybody with our red zone O.....if not for some extreme talent between Ben and the receivers we would never score in the red zone.

Agree on Suisham, kicking field goals he's money. But it would be nice if he could kick it deep on kick offs. Seems like even in decent weather his kicks go no deeper than the 10 or 15 yard line, without much height.....
    "When you start talking about attitude and focus, Jack is the epitome. He was the most focused individual I've ever had."-- Chuck Noll

Threads : 1817

Quote Originally Posted by Stone View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The safety was due to a missed block but it was still a bad call in that position.

The plain Jane passing at the end of the game was dumb too! We simply can't fool anybody with our red zone O.....if not for some extreme talent between Ben and the receivers we would never score in the red zone.
    It's a play most teams run in that spot, they just don't get missed blocks. Can't fault the play when the execution blows
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by Hambert5958 View Post
    Agree on Suisham, kicking field goals he's money. But it would be nice if he could kick it deep on kick offs. Seems like even in decent weather his kicks go no deeper than the 10 or 15 yard line, without much height.....
    Nobody was kicking deep yesterday. Even nick Folk was kicking em short so it wasn't isolated to just the "Steelers kicker" for a change with short kickoffs. not that Suisham's kicks have been all that deep in other games

Bruce Arians speaks
    December 16th, 2010

Here are some excerpts from Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians’ weekly chat with reporters Thursday.

Q: How concerned are you by the offense’s inability to score touchdowns in recent weeks?

A: “It’s going to work itself out. We’ve just got to make some plays. The two areas that have been poor are our running game, and our first and 10 passing has not been very good. Probably a little bit my fault going for the end zone too much instead of going for a couple of short ones but it always works itself out.”

So 1st and 10 from the Jets 39 Ben goes deep to Wallace down the right sideline, might have been a touchdown had Cromartie not been grabbing Wallace on the play (as we know, no flag). Next a 5 yard run by Mendenhall. Then back to Wallace deep right on 3rd and 5. And again, might have been 6 but for Cromartie getting away with hanging on to Wallace ("Air tight coverage" as Jim Nance called it).

Obviously, they liked the Wallace/Cromartie matchup. But isn’t this sequence contrary to what BA said they were going to do. Get the MF’ing 1st down and keep the drive going. I’m not saying never take a shot at the endzone…..so then they punt, the Jets return it to the 22….net punt of 12 yards. This possession seemed to be going so well then…wham! It was very frustrating, kinda set the tone for the day……..
    If a penalty is called we have first and goal. If there's no PI then we have 6. In either case we aren't talking about this today but since the refs can't seem to make obvious calls for the Steelers and our WR's are getting interfered with. It wasn't to happen.

bottom line is that you have to go deep. Not every play but you have to take chances. You have to look at defensive alignments and if you see somethign you can exploit (like man coverage with no deep safeties over that side) you take downfield shots.

I've got no complaints with those play calls. Brady, Brees, Rivers, manning all are often seen taking downfield shots throughout the course of the game. the Steelers aren't and never will be a (thankfully) a dink and dunk west coast offense. We shouldn't expect nothing but 5-10 yard passes.

"too much" shouldn't be confused with "never again in the future"

With the cold weather I'm guessing the football must have seemed like kicking a concrete block.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    With the cold weather I'm guessing the football must have seemed like kicking a concrete block.
    that are the cold air forces balls and things of that sort to not travel as far. Unless you have some strong winds, kicks in that type of weather won't be going as far as we'd like

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    I've got no complaints with those play calls. Brady, Brees, Rivers, manning all are often seen taking downfield shots throughout the course of the game. the Steelers aren't and never will be a (thankfully) a dink and dunk west coast offense. We shouldn't expect nothing but 5-10 yard passes.
    Hold on a minute, I need to get in my Monday morning quarterback chair and get all comfy…..ahh, there we go.

I’m not saying you never take a shot at the endzone, don’t have a problem with the one on 1st down. But 3rd and 5 in that situation, I’d rather go for the 1st down, maybe they don’t make it, but it’s a higher percentage play. The offensive is inept at scoring to begin with, so get the 1st down, keep the drive going and at least put Mr. Perfecto (Suisham) in position to kick a field goal….at least you get something, instead of NOTHING…..

I just hope things work Arians right off the team before next season.

Threads : 440

It's a play most teams run in that spot, they just don't get missed blocks. Can't fault the play when the execution blows

as for Jonathan Scott's execution...yes, I'm in favor of it.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    as for Jonathan Scott's execution...yes, I'm in favor of it.
    Not on the safety, right?

Most teams do run it but how many teams run it down by 3 with time running out. Only our dumbass offensive coordinator and his side kick MT.

I guess we were hoping for 2 yards and 40 seconds ran off the clock.

Threads : 9

Yah.. actually I think you can fault the play calling. Everybody (including Airens) knows that Jonathan Scott is not a 1st string offensive lineman. He is definitely not ready to start in the NFL. You have to minimize the damage he can do in that situation by not dicking around in the end zone. The Steeler coaches have had more than enough time to review Jonathan Scott's short comings to realize that he is potentially a missed block and the cause of a blown up play every down.
    "The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information