Thread: Steelers/Jets Report Card

Threads : 413

Default Steelers/Jets Report Card

Steelers Report Card: Game 14 vs. Jets
    Monday, December 20, 2010
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

QUARTERBACKS C

It looked as if Ben Roethlisberger might engineer his 24th winning drive with a 92-yard march, but he failed to score on three plays from the 10 to end the game. Roethlisberger's totals weren't pretty, but he made a number of plays to get them in position for a last-second victory. He converted four third downs and was 6 of 9 for 60 yards on a 96-yard scoring drive, but it wasn't enough.

I gave Ben a B. He didn't play all that bad and although he made some really good passes, he was off the mark on lots of others. I'd still like to see a little more touch on his throws and not always trying to gun it.

RUNNING BACKS B

Rashard Mendenhall had his first 100-yard game at home since the season opener against Atlanta and averaged 5.9 yards per rush. Couple that with Roethlisberger's two scrambles for 25 yards and the Steelers finished with 147 yards, their fourth highest total of the season. But they didn't do enough to take advantage of Mendenhall, who had 43 yards on eight carries in the first half.

B+ Can't blame this one on the backs. I just greatly dislike our offensive philosophy. We'll get to Moore's Safety later.

WIDE RECEIVERS B-

Mike Wallace and Emmanuel Sanders each had seven receptions and made several big third-down catches on the final drive, none bigger than Sanders' 29-yarder on third-and-24. Tight end Matt Spaeth started his second game in a row and had a 9-yard touchdown catch. Hines Ward had only two catches for 34 yards, but both came on the 96-yard scoring drive in the second quarter.

B No complaints about the receivers in this one.

OFFENSIVE LINE C-

In a game in which the pass protection was as good as it has been all year and the running game averaged 5.9 yards per carry, it was a safety on a missed block by left tackle Jonathan Scott that ended up being the difference in the game. No holding penalties for a change, but right tackle Flozell Adams took an unnecessary 15-yard personal foul penalty that ended up hurting the Steelers field position.

B+ Don't understand this one. One of their better efforts. Ben had plenty of time and space to throw. Mendy had some decent running room and got his 100yds. No holding penalties. The PF on Slozell was bullcrap.

DEFENSIVE LINE C

The Jets didn't have a run longer than 11 yards, but they finished with 106 yards on 27 attempts -- the most by an opponent this season. More important, they converted four third-and-short situations in the second half, two each on scoring drives after trailing, 17-10. Defensive end Brett Keisel batted down two passed at the line -- one of the few times the Steelers deflected a pass against Mark Sanchez.

[COLOR="Red"Can't argue. Absolutely no pressure on the QB. The fake by Sanchez and his TD run was pretty lame.][/COLOR]

LINEBACKERS C

The Steelers could not generate enough pressure on Sanchez, who was sacked only once, and were often caught out of position on his play fakes. Shame on them for getting fooled twice in short yardage on the same drive, especially on Sanchez' 7-yard scoring run in which he ran untouched down the left side. The lack of pressure kept Sanchez from forcing throws into coverage and having interceptions.

Also can't argue, although it could be said this is a little harsh. When they have to cover for the D-Line AND the DB's, it makes for a long day. That said, however, without the kick return and the safety, the defense did enough to win the game.

DEFENSIVE BACKS D

The unit could not make a big play, which is what happens when you are without Troy Polamalu. The only player in the secondary to get a hand on a Sanchez pass was Ryan Mundy, Polamalu's replacement, but he also missed two key tackles, including a sack on third-and-9 that kept the go-ahead FG drive alive. Bryant McFadden never saw the ball on a 38-yard pass that set up a field goal.

It's just amazing how 1 individual can have such an impact on a team's performance. Without Troy, the DB's just look bad. More trying to contain the play in front than I care to see in a lifetime. COVER THE ****ED RECEIVER.

SPECIAL TEAMS F

It is never a good thing to allow a touchdown return on the opening kickoff, but the Steelers did -- their first this season. The kickoff coverage had not allowed a return longer than 49 yards this season. But the punt coverage wasn't much better, allowing returns of 19 and 13 yards. The same could be said for the return units, too -- Antonio Brown averaged 14.3 yards on four kickoff returns.

What's below an F? We need a punter, a kick-off guy and someone to block for the return people. So Sanders is a WR. Let him return kicks.

COACHING D+

The special teams collapsed for the first time this season and the defense was fooled too many times on play fakes by Sanchez, especially on the tying touchdown. Two penalties for hits to the head didn't help. It's hard to fault a defense that allowed 276 yards and 13 points, but the unit couldn't stop the run in the second half and failed to protect the lead for one of the few times this season.

Only the O-line coach keeps this score from being worse. I know that injuries are the story of this season, (Well that and officiating), but our offensive philosophy sucks. I've never seen so many patterns run by our receivers that are all bunched together. That HAS to be by intent which is ridiculous. Maybe it helps Ben look for an open receiver because he does not have to search so wide.
    Secondly, the sack by Moore was not because of a missed block IMO. I believe they aren't concerned about the backside end making the play. Problem is the play took an enormous amount of time to develop and it was designed to run along the line until it could be cut up. Wrong place to run that play. Wrong place. We now are forced to score a TD instead of having the chance to tie with a FG.

I'm not ready to give up on this team. They are fighters and we always have a chance. We need to secure a bye week to get these guys some rest. Regardless of what happens the rest of the year, it should be an interesting off-season.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10354...#ixzz18eytRlIv

POLITICIANS AND DIAPERS SHOULD BE CHANGED OFTEN AND FOR THE SAME REASON!

Threads : 60

Default Re: Steelers/Jets Report Card

I actually don't believe we played all that bad on defense. One TD was given up by the special teams. The QB boot or sneak, nine times out of ten, he doesn't make it more than 4 yards.

McFadden gave up a big pass and catch but, tell me how he could have been in a better position. That was a perfect pass and the receiver had a perfect catch.

I wish just one or two of Bens passes towards the sidelines could have been half as accurate or at least to the correct shoulder or the receiver turning to the correct direction of the passes.

Ben and his receivers looked like they never practiced before.

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I actually don't believe we played all that bad on defense. One TD was given up by the special teams. The QB boot or sneak, nine times out of ten, he doesn't make it more than 4 yards.

McFadden gave up a big pass and catch but, tell me how he could have been in a better position. That was a perfect pass and the receiver had a perfect catch.

I wish just one or two of Bens passes towards the sidelines could have been half as accurate or at least to the correct shoulder or the receiver turning to the correct direction of the passes.

Fezzi stop making sense. We actually gave up 13 points on defense if you take away 7 on special teams and 2 on the safety. If I was the defense I would be kicking Arians, Ben and Tomlin in the balls. In that order too.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by fezziwig View Post

Sanchez completed 19-29 and we allowed the Jets over 100 yards on the ground and we couldn't hold a 17-10 lead in the 2nd half on our home field.

Pass and run defenses weren't good and not holding a 7 point lead on your home field against a mediocre defnese is unacceptable. The offense at least was playing against a Top 5 Defense that is 2nd against the run and 2nd in points against.

don't let facts get in the way of your bias and narrow mind. LVG might not approve of it
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    Fezzi stop making sense. We actually gave up 13 points on defense if you take away 7 on special teams and 2 on the safety. If I was the defense I would be kicking Arians, Ben and Tomlin in the balls. In that order too.
    We scored 17 points on offense and had a 7 point lead in the 2nd half on home field against a mediocre Jets offense lead by a garbage QB in Mark Sanchez.

We should win that game if the Defense doesn't hand the Jets 7 and then 3.

Facts son. Defense blew a lead again. Imagine what they will do against real Offenses that can throw the ball a ton more better than Mark ****ing Sanchez?

Quote Originally Posted by LasVegasGuy View Post
    We scored 17 points on offense and had a 7 point lead in the 2nd half on home field against a mediocre Jets offense lead by a garbage QB in Mark Sanchez.

We should win that game if the Defense doesn't hand the Jets 7 and then 3.

Facts son. Defense blew a lead again. Imagine what they will do against real Offenses that can throw the ball a ton more better than Mark ****ing Sanchez?

Threads : 88
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

A lot of exNCite's points I agree with.

This was the first time all year that ST looked so vulnerable. That initial cock-up seemed virtually impossible for them to recover from, for some reason.

Quite why the QB grade was so low from Dulac puzzles me. What the hell more does he expect Ben to do?

DBs - I'm with you completely, ex. In fact, the whole D seemed soft and sluggish yesterday.

Offensively, I'd say that the line had about its best outing of the year to date. A few penalties, but on the whole Adams isn't the flag-magnet he was made out to be. The patchwork did a pretty good job, I reckon.

Onward to Thursday. Two wins to close out the regular season would do me nicely and I don't give a rat's arse how we get them. Win well, win ugly, just win, frag it!
    'I want rustlers, cut throats, murderers, bounty hunters, desperados, mugs, pugs, thugs, nitwits, halfwits, dimwits, vipers, snipers, con men, Indian agents, Mexican bandits, muggers, buggerers, bushwhackers, hornswogglers, horse thieves, bull dykes, train robbers, bank robbers, ***-kickers, ****-kickers and Methodists.'

Threads : 0

UH you don't go back in shotgun from the two yard line when you are down by 3 and have 4min and call draw play when your OL is banged up against a 14 year vet.Am I wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by BOSKOJENKINS View Post
    UH you don't go back in shotgun from the two yard line when you are down by 3 and have 4min and call draw play when your OL is banged up against a 14 year vet.Am I wrong?
    sure y. If that block is picked up like the play is designed for, Kemo is out in front for a block that gets us an easy first down on the ground

Are there other plays that can be called? Sure but then we'd just be "predictable" on offense if we used them right? I liked the play call to be honest. The Jets had a stacked front and were going to blitz. Draws tend to be effective against draws. The play works if it's executed properly. whoever blew that block should be blamed, not the play call itself

Quote Originally Posted by War Machine View Post
    A lot of exNCite's points I agree with.

This was the first time all year that ST looked so vulnerable. That initial cock-up seemed virtually impossible for them to recover from, for some reason.

Quite why the QB grade was so low from Dulac puzzles me. What the hell more does he expect Ben to do?

DBs - I'm with you completely, ex. In fact, the whole D seemed soft and sluggish yesterday.

Offensively, I'd say that the line had about its best outing of the year to date. A few penalties, but on the whole Adams isn't the flag-magnet he was made out to be. The patchwork did a pretty good job, I reckon.

Onward to Thursday. Two wins to close out the regular season would do me nicely and I don't give a rat's arse how we get them. Win well, win ugly, just win, frag it!
    I was talking to NKy last night and we disagreed on the line but I agree uin general here that the Line had a decent game. For what it is and it's a banged up line short on talent with Foster and Scott starting, we got a 100 yard rusher against the 2nd best run defense in the league. First 100 yard rusher against the Jets all season. I felt tha Ben had plenty of time to pass on most downs, I actually think that when Ben has time to throw, his throws aren't as crisp and accurate. There were times when he threw from the pocket with time and the passes were off. You get Ben flushed from the pocket and he's super accurate. There's times when I wonder whether we want better protection for Ben At this point I'd prefer to have better WR's. After Mike Wallace we are dropping off right now. not that Brown and/or Sanders can't develop and become better and more consistent, it's just not there this year while Randel El has been useless and Ward is almost night day. He has great games and then he's nearly invisible like the Jets game

Quote Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
    Sanchez completed 19-29 and we allowed the Jets over 100 yards on the ground and we couldn't hold a 17-10 lead in the 2nd half on our home field.

Pass and run defenses weren't good and not holding a 7 point lead on your home field against a mediocre defnese is unacceptable. The offense at least was playing against a Top 5 Defense that is 2nd against the run and 2nd in points against.

don't let facts get in the way of your bias and narrow mind. LVG might not approve of it
    Wow! now we are asking our defense to continue to hold offenses to under 17. Anymore heat we can take off the two knuckleheads Arians and Tomlin? Here is a thought try and score in the 30's like the Pats and then we don't have to worry about our pass defense. For the Jets being a top 5 defense, along with the Steelers, along with the Bears, along with the Ravens, along with the Packers the Patriots don't seem to have any problems scoring just us.

Hmmm! Makes you wonder doesn't it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information