Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hines Ward's Career Is Quickly Approaching the End

Threads : 440

Default Hines Ward's Career Is Quickly Approaching the End

Hines Ward's Career Is Quickly Approaching the End

By mad chad (Correspondent) on December 21, 2010

Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward is one of the most beloved athletes of all time in the city of Pittsburgh.

He plays the game unlike most receivers in the NFL by blocking hard on every play and dishing out hits that would be envied by most of the defenders he faces.

His style of play fits in perfectly for the team he plays for and the city it represents.

However, Ward is 34 years old and is starting to look a little slower. Ward had two catches for 34 yards against the New York Jets. Two games before that he had just one catch for 13 yards against the Baltimore Ravens. On the season Ward has 51 catches for 672 yards, which translates to four catches and 56 yards a game on the season.

Now I understand that Mike Wallace is the No. 1 receiver on the team, but Ward's production is not what it should be. Last year Ward had 95 receptions and 1,167 receiving yards. That's a decent drop-off. Ward is also having a lot of trouble getting open, especially in man coverage. He's dropped a few key passes this year and had a bad fumble against Cincinnati.

So the question I have to ask is, are Hines Ward's days as an effective starting receiver coming to a close? Ward is 34. He's played 13 NFL seasons and has been one of the most physical receivers in the game. It would be a miracle if his body wasn't breaking down.

With Wallace becoming a borderline "elite" receiver and the Steelers having two good-looking rookie receivers, I have to ask where Hines fits in the Steelers' future.

Should Hines Ward start thinking about retirement after this season?

Ward has had a glorious career. He will be remembered as one of the Steelers' all-time greats and will almost certainly make the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Also, what if there is a work stoppage next year? In the 2012 season Ward will be 36 years old. If Ward is still on the team, will he still want to start? Will he accept a lesser role with the team?

I don't want to see Ward stick around too long. If he can't perform up to his standards, he should leave the game on a good note. It would benefit him and his team to start thinking about retirement after this season.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5495 ... ng-the-end

Threads : 49

Default Re: Hines Ward's Career Is Quickly Approaching the End

If there is a season next year, Ward should be the #3 or 4 WR. Maybe alternate series with Sanders or Brown.

The thing is Ward is still playing pretty **** good, IMO. I don't get all the "Ward is done" talk. I believe he still leads this team in receptions or is near the top. He's made some phenomenal grabs this year in addition to some great plays after the catch.

Pittsburgh Steelers: Hines Ward Proves He Is One of the Good Guys in the NFL

By Nick Signorelli (Steelers Featured Columnist) on December 20, 2010

It is not often that you can go long periods of time hearing about how someone in the NFL is doing something that they are not supposed to do.

We hear of players being fined insane amounts of money for "unnecessary" hits to opposing players, coaches and/or teams cheating, arrests, suspensions for drugs—the list could go on and on.

Profootballtalk.com has a "Days Without an Arrest" counter, for how many days it has been since a NFL player or coach has been arrested. Currently, the counter is set at 0, because Kevin Alexander of the Denver Broncos was arrested for assault and battery.

Prior to that, the meter was at seven.

Well, the week of Christmas, the man that the NFL has voted as the Dirtiest Player has done something that is sure to make Santa Claus proud.

Hines Ward, working with the Salvation Army Family Caring Center in East Liberty, is taking care of those less fortunate.

In his Facebook post, Ward has bought the families Christmas presents.

The kids were given Nintendo DSI's, and the moms were given clothes, manicures and pedicures. Ward said that he is blessed to be able to help these families out.

Many of the people that reside outside of Steelers Nation, only have bad things to say about Hines Ward. From where I sit, Hines Ward is a class act.

Though, none of us are sure what the future holds for Hines, I can be certain that when he finally does decide that his playing career is over, he is going to be missed. Not only for the good that he does in the community, but for what he does on the field.

One thing is for sure, when I see him smile on Thursday night, I will know that a lot of other people are smiling because of him.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...uys-in-the-nfl

Threads : 227
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Hines still has enough gas in the tank to play out his contract. Sure, he has dropped some balls, but some of the grabs he has made in recent weeks prove he ain't done yet. His drop off in stats has more to do with the emergence of Sanders than declining skills. It ain't time to put him out to pasture yet.
    Pittsburgh Sports Forum: Member Driven and no ads

Threads : 82
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still think he is going to be #1 or #2 next year. Really though what is the difference. 2 receivers "start" he will be one of them I think. I don't think he has lost a step, he never really had a step to begin with. I think his numbers are still good if not great. Question is, is he not getting the ball because he can't get open or Ben just isn't looking for him and if he is covered is it because he is being covered by the #1 CB? If he is not being targeted by defenses AND not getting open then yeah he is getting towards the end. I don't know the answer but I am not sure that is the case. It's weird, against the Jets Ben was throwing to Spaeth and Sanders an awful lot make you wonder if he is not getting these guys greased up for the playoffs and letting the vets have an easier game. I mean either way Hines is definately getting up there. This is the time in the season wear the tires are showing wear. The recent drop may be a product of them tactfully stretching the old guys out.

Threads : 150

I don't know, this article doesn't really look too hard at the whole story and cherry picks a lot. It's very poor if you ask me.

However, Ward is 34 years old and is starting to look a little slower. Ward had two catches for 34 yards against the New York Jets. Two games before that he had just one catch for 13 yards against the Baltimore Ravens.
    Wow, classic cherry picking here, and ignoring the fact that those bad games (which they were bad) were against two of the better defenses in the league and one (the Jets) against maybe the best cover corner in football. You could look at any WR this year against Revis/Jets and then simply say, based on that game (which this author did), that said WR was near the end of his career.

It also completely leaves out the game between (against Cincy) when he had 8 catches for 115 yards. Very selective to further a point. That's just poor writing.

On the season Ward has 51 catches for 672 yards, which translates to four catches and 56 yards a game on the season.
    Obviously not good numbers, but you've gotta factor in that he played the first 4 games with a backup QB, missed a game with a concussion (getting hurt in the 1Q of the Pats game) and then came back next week in a blowout against Oakland and wasn't needed much due to the blowout.

Again the author is just lazy.

He's dropped a few key passes this year and had a bad fumble against Cincinnati.
    He has one fumble, one, all year. That's not worth criticizing as much as this author is.

Here's the real story why his numbers are down, and one that the author failed to mention, Ward, who is certainly on the downside of his career, simply isn't being targeted.

He's tied for 49th with 80 targets this year:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...false/count/41

It's quite simple, if the ball isn't coming your way (due to situations like having a 2nd and 3rd string QB in, missing a game and for intents and purposes another game, the teams you're going against, and just depending on the play called and who's the primary WR etc) then you're not gonna produce.

Hines isn't going to drop off a cliff. We saw the numbers he put up last year. I'm not ready to write him off yet. His numbers aren't great this year, but I don't think it's because he's done.

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't know, this article doesn't really look too hard at the whole story and cherry picks a lot. It's very poor if you ask me.

Wow, classic cherry picking here, and ignoring the fact that those bad games (which they were bad) were against two of the better defenses in the league and one (the Jets) against maybe the best cover corner in football. You could look at any WR this year against Revis/Jets and then simply say, based on that game (which this author did), that said WR was near the end of his career.

It also completely leaves out the game between (against Cincy) when he had 8 catches for 115 yards. Very selective to further a point. That's just poor writing.

Obviously not good numbers, but you've gotta factor in that he played the first 4 games with a backup QB, missed a game with a concussion (getting hurt in the 1Q of the Pats game) and then came back next week in a blowout against Oakland and wasn't needed much due to the blowout.

Again the author is just lazy.

He has one fumble, one, all year. That's not worth criticizing as much as this author is.

Here's the real story why his numbers are down, and one that the author failed to mention, Ward, who is certainly on the downside of his career, simply isn't being targeted.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/pl...false/count/41

It's quite simple, if the ball isn't coming your way (due to situations like having a 2nd and 3rd string QB in, missing a game and for intents and purposes another game, the teams you're going against, and just depending on the play called and who's the primary WR etc) then you're not gonna produce.

Hines isn't going to drop off a cliff. We saw the numbers he put up last year. I'm not ready to write him off yet. His numbers aren't great this year, but I don't think it's because he's done.
    Right on. The thing is the media has been ready to euthanize the guy for the past 5 years but all he does is perform. He had what one or two years where he battled with leg injuries. I wouldn't be surprised if he fulfilled his side of his contract. Not as a starter tho. Not ready to hand the keys to Sanders yet or even the beginning of next year. Middle of next year, yeah.

Threads : 3263

Quote Originally Posted by vandelay industries View Post
    It's bleacher report, so say no more.... Poorly written crap from that site IMO...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 29

Gotta love the way the young WRs are looking.

Threads : 135
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Our whole offense is down production-wise this year...especially in terms of points. Ward is fine...he'll be able to produce for a couple more years and he's certainly the go-to guy when we need a catch or a first down. He'll continue to be that.
    Hidden Content
    "Like I always say, there's no 'I' in team. There's a 'me,' though, if you jumble it all up."--House

Threads : 8

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post

Absolutely.

Threads : 8

Being that Ben is under constant pressure, did you take into account the many times Hines is the hot read and fails to even look for the ball?

I didn't read your link but hot reads, I believe, are not charted as targets.

I love Hines and think he has been a great symbol of "Steeler football" and cannot wait until he is speaking at the mic in Canton. But he is not playing up to par this year and that gentleman, is a fact.

Now, we'll wait for the PO's in which he has been great in the past. Let's see how he does on the grand stage.

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by ScoreKeeper View Post
    [HIGH-LIGHT]Being that Ben is under constant pressure, did you take into account the many times Hines is the hot read and fails to even look for the ball?[/HIGH-LIGHT]

I didn't read your link but hot reads, I believe, are not charted as targets.

I love Hines and think he has been a great symbol of "Steeler football" and cannot wait until he is speaking at the mic in Canton. But he is not playing up to par this year and that gentleman, is a fact.

Now, we'll wait for the PO's in which he has been great in the past. Let's see how he does on the grand stage.

Anytime a ball is thrown to a WR, it goes into the books as a target. Targets are simply defined as "# passes thrown to", so that includes hot reads thrown to him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Sodfather View Post

12/22/2010

Steelers' Sanders blossoms at WR

By F. Dale Lolley, Staff writer dlolley@observer-reporter.com

PITTSBURGH - Coming from a pass-happy offense at SMU, Emmanuel Sanders looked like a polished receiver to the Pittsburgh Steelers, and they used a third-round pick in this year's draft to get him.

What they could not have guessed, however, was how quickly the rookie would gel with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.

Sanders has been targeted by Roethlisberger 38 times the past six games, seven more than Hines Ward - the Steelers' all-time leader in nearly every receiving category.

Included in that total are a team-high 13 attempts in Sanders' direction during Sunday's 22-17 loss to the New York Jets. Sanders finished the game with career highs of seven receptions and 78 yards.

"He's done some great things," said Roethlisberger. "He's really growing up fast. Honestly, the sky is the limit for that guy. He can be as good as he wants to be."

The Steelers (10-4) are more concerned with how Sanders can help them as they push toward the playoffs. The Steelers have already clinched a postseason berth but need victories in their final two games - or one loss by Baltimore - to clinch the AFC North.

Sanders, with 19 receptions in the past six games, could be a big part of that.

"I think ever since they've moved me to the third receiver spot, I've been getting more work at practice," said Sanders. "Ben is believing in me, and in the games, it's starting to show."

Sanders was slowed early in the season by a leg injury that forced him to miss three games. He has slowly worked his way into becoming a big part of offensive coordinator Bruce Arians' game plan each week.

Wallace and Ward usually draw more of the attention from opposing defenders, so Sanders draws single coverage. It's something that allowed Wallace to shine last season behind Ward and Santonio Holmes.

When the Steelers traded Holmes to the Jets in the offseason for a fifth-round draft pick, they needed somebody to fill the No. 3 position.

Veteran Antwaan Randle El did early in the year, but Sanders has passed him.

"You're adding somebody who can do something special with a short pass," offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said. "It's something we missed since we lost Santonio."

Wallace has seen the maturation process.

"He's knows where to be at now. He's always had the talent," Wallace said. "It's just sometimes, when you first get in there, you're kind of nervous and don't know what's going on. You might run a route wrong or be in the wrong spot. But that's not really happening any more. He's where he needs to be. He's going to get matchups.

"They're going to try to take out Hines and myself, so he's always going to get a favorable matchup. And he's a top guy when he gets the ball. I don't feel like anybody can stop him."

Odds and end zones

Tight end Heath Miller, who has missed the past two games with a concussion, returned to practice Tuesday as the Steelers prepare to play the Carolina Panthers Thursday. Defensive tackle Steve McClendon (stinger) was a limited participant. Safety Troy Polamalu (ankle), defensive end Aaron Smith (triceps) and wide receiver Arnaz Battle (chest) did not practice. Smith said he has one more test to pass - early next week - before he can be cleared to return to practice on a full-time basis. He has missed the past eight games.

http://www.observer-reporter.com/or/...eelers-Sanders

Just happy to have ARE on the sidelines as much as possible tbh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information