Thread: Terrelle Pryor, four others suspended five games next season

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Terrelle Pryor, four others suspended five games next season

http://content.usatoday.com/communit...nded-tattoos/1

Five Ohio State football players -- including quarterback Terrelle Pryor -- have been suspended five games next season for selling awards and accepting improper benefits.

Terrelle Pryor was one of five Ohio State players to be suspended for five games next season.
    The NCAA announced the decision Thursday.

In addition to Pryor, running back Daniel Herron, wide receiver DeVier Posey, offensive lineman Mike Adams and defensive end Solomon Thomas were also suspended for the first five games next season.

Each player also must repay between $1,000 to $2,500 to charity.

From the NCAA's release:

As part of their reinstatement, Adams must repay $1,000 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring and Herron must repay $1,150 for selling his football jersey, pants and shoes for $1,000 and receiving discounted services worth $150.

Posey must repay $1,250 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,200 and receiving discounted services worth $50, while Pryor must repay $2,500 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring, a 2009 Fiesta Bowl sportsmanship award and his 2008 Gold Pants, a gift from the university.

Solomon must repay $1,505 for selling his 2008 Big Ten championship ring for $1,000, his 2008 Gold Pants for $350 and receiving discounted services worth $155.

Jordan Whiting was also suspended -- but for only the first game next year -- and must pay $150 to charity for receiving discounted services because of his status as a student-athelte.

"While we believe sanctions should be rendered, we do believe they are severe," Ohio State athletics director Gene Smith said Thursday. "We do believe we can give mitigating circumstances for the NCAA to consider."

"We as coaches feel the buck stops here," coach Jim Tressel said. "We're the ones who need to make things even more crystal clear."

None of the players were suspended for the Buckeyes' Sugar Bowl appearance vs. Arkansas on Jan. 4.

The NCAA said none were suspended for the bowl game because the "student-athletes did not receive adequate rules education during the time period the violations occurred."

"These are significant penalties based on findings and information provided by the university," said Kevin Lennon, NCAA vice president of academic and membership affairs, in a statement released by the NCAA.

According to the NCAA, cases like this would normally carry a four-game suspension (or 30% of the season). But the NCAA said that since the student-athletes did not come forward to disclose the violations immediately upon receiving the appropriate rules education, an additional game was added to the punishment.

"Once a student-athlete understands a violation has occurred, they must immediately come forward to report it," Lennon said. "That did not happen, so the additional one-game penalty was imposed."

Upon learning that his name was rumored to be among the players under investigation after the Columbus Dispatch reported that several players were being investigated for receiving tattoos from a tattoo parlor in exchange for autographs, Pryor went to Twitter to proclaim his innocence, according to the Dispatch.

"I paid for my tattoos. GoBucks"

On Thursday, however, that tweet was no longer on Pryor's Twitter page.

Pending the school's appeal, questions will now likely be raised about Pryor and whether he'll look into entering the NFL draft. In August, the quarterback said that he wanted to leave a four-year legacy at Ohio State.

"I want to leave a legacy, that's my goal," Pryor said in August. "That's why I'll be here for four years. I can't wait. I'm so happy."

This suspension could change those feelings.

-- Tim Gardner

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Terrelle Pryor, four others suspended five games next season

I heard about this yesterday on the radio... Initially I thought it was about "trading signatures for tatoos"...

... Either way, I think the NCAA is worse than the freakin' Gestapo...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Pretty pathetic selling awards, gifts and championship rings!

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pretty pathetic selling awards, gifts and championship rings!
    Yea it is, but it should still be their choice to do so or not... IMO...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

I wonder how this will impact their decisions about turning pro? Although with no CBA....

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    I wonder how this will impact their decisions about turning pro? Although with no CBA....
    Honestly, it shouldn't effect their decision whatsoever IMO... Theirs or anyone's...

... There will be a rookie wage scale for them whether they come out for this year or next... They will be subject to the new CBA either this year or next... If their draft position is questionable, is it worth it to return to school for another season and risk injury?... I dunno... Tough call.

But if a player is considering entering the draft, I just don't think the CBA should be part of the equation for the decision, but that's just me...

Threads : 6

What kills me about this deal is allowing them to play in the bowl game. If you're going to suspend them, then suspend them immediately. The NCAA is so hypocritical. Money talks . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ihateusernames View Post
    What kills me about this deal is allowing them to play in the bowl game. If you're going to suspend them, then suspend them immediately. The NCAA is so hypocritical. Money talks . . .
    But would it be fair to the other players on the team that helped them get to the bowl?... Or the Bowl committee that selected OSU?... Or the fans that already purchased travel packages and tix to the game?

... I dunno, I can actually see it from both sides in that regard...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information