Thread: Pirates sign Atkins

Threads : 27
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Pirates sign Atkins

The Pirates announced that they signed Garrett Atkins to a minor league contract and invited him to Spring Training. He'll earn $800K in the major leagues, according to Troy Renck of the Denver Post (on Twitter). Agent Jeff Blank represents Atkins.

The Orioles signed Atkins after the Rockies non-tendered him last offseason, but the O's released him in July. Atkins batted .214/.276/.286 in 152 plate appearances last year and saw his home run total dip for a fourth consecutive season.

If the signing works out, Atkins could spell first baseman Lyle Overbay against lefties. Overbay has a career .279/.375/.463 line against right-handers and Atkins has a career .294/.379/.467 line against southpaws, so there's a potential platoon fit here. Third baseman Pedro Alvarez also bats from the left side, so the Pirates could rest him against left-handers and play Atkins at the hot corner.

Atkins can play both corner infield positions, though most of his big league experience comes at third base. He will play under Pirates skipper Clint Hurdle, who managed him in Colorado.

Default Re: Pirates sign Atkins

I really have no idea why we are stockpiling ****ty thirdbasemen. Marte, Fields, now Atkins.

Threads : 138

BucsDugout sums the transactions of the day....

"A couple of minor transactions on a day dominated by other sports news.

The Pirates have signed Garrett Atkins to a Minor League deal with a Spring Training invitation. Hey, why not? Yeah, the Indianapolis infield looks a bit crowded at this point, but this is a no-risk move.

They have also claimed LHP Aaron Thompson off waivers from Washington and designate Wil Ledezma for assignment.

EDIT: Of course, as soon as I post this, Jenifer Langosch is now reporting on her Twitter page that the Pirates have acquired IF Corey Wimberly from the A's, although no word on who is going to Oakland. Interestingly enough, Wimberly was the one who broke the story on his Twitter.

UPDATE by Charlie: Atkins apparently peaked at age 26 and has fallen off a cliff since then, but as minor-league signing, this is a good one - he's only a few years removed from posting a .965 OPS in Colorado, so there's no harm in making sure he can't get that back. Thompson is a former first-round pick, but his minor-league stats are unimpressive; maybe there's some upside in just moving him to the bullpen, but dumping Ledezma for him is disappointing, because I really think Ledezma can be a good big-league reliever right now.

Seriously, I don't understand the Pirates' ambivalence about Ledezma. I know he hasn't had the best career, but he struck out nearly 12 batters per nine innings at AAA last year and ten in the majors, all while adding velocity. There are no guarantees, obviously - maybe he flames out completely - but he looks to me like the very archetype of the reliever who figures things out late in his career.

Wimberly is a career minor-leaguer of no real distinction, so if the Pirates are trading for him, it's probably just one organizational guy for another. Wimberly seems really psyched to be a Pirate, though, so I'll be rooting for him."
    http://www.bucsdugout.com/

Threads : 138

I am surprised there were no comments on this:

They have also claimed LHP Aaron Thompson off waivers from Washington and designate Wil Ledezma for assignment.

Lefties like Ledezma that can throw 95 MPH don't grow on trees and the Bucs just signed him... On the surface I don't like this. I hope Ledezma clears and we bring him back. Thompson has had a very unimpressive minor league career. He's a former first rounder.
    Last edited by tocchet92; Dec-23-2010 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tocchet92 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I am surprised there were no comments on this:

Lefties like Ledezma that can throw 95 MPH don't grow on trees and the Bucs just signed him... On the surface I don't like this. I hope Ledezma clears and we bring him back. Thompson has had a very unimpressive minor league career. He's a former first rounder.
    Ledezma is an enigma. I agree we should bring him back, but there is a reason he's been with 6 different teams.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information