Thread: Going to Pittsburgh for Winter Classic

Threads : 1

Default Going to Pittsburgh for Winter Classic

Hello: My daughter is a huge Pens fan. I managed to get my hands on a pair of tickets to the WC for her Christmas present. She is going to be really excited. I've never been to Pittsburgh and I was hoping to get some advice on places to eat (Italian or steak), and somethings to do while we are there.

I also have tickets to the WBS Pens game on the 30th, and I've read about some of the events being staged for the WC. My daughter is a hockey player so we will bring our skates and make it to the rink being set up next to Heinz Field. I've also read about the NHL exhibit at the museum.

Any thoughts or input? Any place that would be cool to spend (or avoid) New Year's Eve?

I appreciate it and look forward to watching my daughter cheer for the Pens in person.
    Thanks,

Walter

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Going to Pittsburgh for Winter Classic

As far as things to do, I would definitely take the Incline up to Mt Washington because the view is outstanding. There's an observation platform at the upper level that provides a stunning view... It only costs a few bucks, and can be accessed from a parking lot at the lower level... I would also hit Primanti's in the Strip District (18th & Penn if I recall correctly) for a serious sandwich. There's also several other places to eat there, and I really suggest Deluca's for breakfast one morning... There's gonna be plenty of activities set up at Heinz Field for the game as well...

Not sure of the age of your daughter, but the Carnegie Science Center is pretty cool... Jerome Bettis' "Grill 36" is right by the stadium... And personally, I couldn't hit Pittsburgh without getting an "O dog & fries" at the "Original" over in Oakland...

... Can't really provide too much help for "traditional" Italian or steak places.... Sorry.... But I'm sure some others on this board can steer you in the right direction.

Hope you and your daughter have a great time!........
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Nice gift Dad! I hope you have a great time!

Stick around on the Forum if you've got thoughts. We can always use new perspectives!!!

Threads : 6

Threads : 277

Everyone has their favorite Italian restaurant, mine is "Del's" in Bloomfield (4428 Liberty Avenue), old family owned in an ethnic neighborhood; fairly easy to reach coming out of "downtown," on Bigelow Blvd turning on Bllomfield Bruidge and then a right turn onto Liberty. (Holidays might be differebnt, but it is easy to get around in Pittsburgh, with Forbes and Avenue and Fifth Avenue--each one way in the opposite direction--bissecting the city in two.)

An alternative route would take you straight out Liberty Avenue from downtown, taking you past the "Strip," which has restaurants, bars, and a variety of interesting other stores. Worth a walking tour--after the game--if not hunt for food and could be combined with a restaurant hunt.

Station Square on the Southside of Pittsbrugh and Sotuhside itself, has about two million restaurants and bars, and the "Square" itself is a mall with other stores.

The "Original" is a very good suggestion and is on the campus on the University of Pittsbrugh, in case yoru daughter is high school age or enar. Also, five blocks opassed the "O" is the Carnegie Museum, once of the best in America.

One other "restaurant/bar" I've always liked (my Dad took me there as a child and it's an original "working mean's bar") is the Original Oyster House." Don't look for seafood but the fish sandwiches and a beer for you and coke for your daughter are to die for. (Check hours and go in an out, since this place doesn't take reservations.)

There also are plenty of restaurants on Mt. Washington, where the aforementioned "incline" takes you, but you would need to cab the mile or so from the platform to the restaurants or take a cab. With Friday being NYE, get a reservation to be sure that you get a seat, in what will be a wonderful panorama of this great city!

Enjoy your trip.

I am taking my three (adult) sons to the game and we are flying in from DC that morning. Because of my personal experiences, if I had one stop to share with them, it would be the Oyster House, just simple food, beer, booze, and a masculine feel!) But, Del's and the "Original" would be tied for second.

All specific sites I mentioned can be found on "Google."

Threads : 82

Try Pittsbugh Steak in the South Side if you have the loot. http://www.pghsteak.com/. Italian I am not sure what to recommend. For a lesser fancy meal, the original, primantis, fat heads, Tsaros, oh yeah Italian papparazzi in the south side I like. For breakfast I highly recommend pamalas. Even Obama endorses their pancakes.

Threads : 150

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Try Pittsbugh Steak in the South Side if you have the loot. http://www.pghsteak.com/. Italian I am not sure what to recommend. For a lesser fancy meal, the original, primantis, fat heads, Tsaros, oh yeah Italian papparazzi in the south side I like. For breakfast I highly recommend pamalas. Even Obama endorses their pancakes.
    I'll second that vote for the Pittsburgh Steak Co on Carson St. Best steak in the City and not overly priced like RC's or Morton's.

Here's a good little Italian joint downtown. Great stuff and a nice small atmosphere:

http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/pro..._s_centro.html

It's right next to a parking garage too for easy parking. The building is an old brothel and apparently haunted too. Ask your server to tell some stories.

Awesome! Thanks for everyone's input. Gave my daughter her tickets on Christmas day. I'm not sure if she is going to be able to sleep between now and our flight out on Thursday.

Thanks again for taking the time to steer us in the right direction. I'll check in again a time or two before we leave. Hope everyone is getting as excited as we are. Have a great day.
    Thanks,

Walter

Walter--Based on some late forecasts, suggest you make a "Rain/Cancellation contingency plan." You might need an extra day or two in Pittsburgh!

By sheer luck, our flight out doesn't leave until 7:00 Sunday night. This will hopefully give us enough time to see the game in full, even if they have to move it to Sunday. Let's all keep our fingers crossed, say our prayers, rub our lucky rabbit feet, and hope the weather guys have it wrong.

The ice looks awesome now that the logo is on it.
    Thanks,

Walter

Threads : 206
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wlwalterj View Post
    Let's all keep our fingers crossed, say our prayers, rub our lucky rabbit feet, and hope the weather guys have it wrong.
    The weather guys have been predicting warmer weather here in Ohio, as well... and so far they have been off (by a few degrees colder) every day so.... Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

Please snow. We're on such a tight schedule that a postponement kills us (both game tickets and airlines); even a delay wrecks some havoc.

I'll need a magic train to get ticket to Pittsburgh in time to let others use them.

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by wlwalterj View Post
    By sheer luck, our flight out doesn't leave until 7:00 Sunday night. This will hopefully give us enough time to see the game in full, even if they have to move it to Sunday. Let's all keep our fingers crossed, say our prayers, rub our lucky rabbit feet, and hope the weather guys have it wrong.

The ice looks awesome now that the logo is on it.
    I'm laying on the luck stuff for you. I wanna see the game played on Saturday too. It would suck if they were forced to move it to Sunday morning like is being mentioned or rumored as the backup to a post poning.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 1817
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by (419)BlackNGold View Post
    The weather guys have been predicting warmer weather here in Ohio, as well... and so far they have been off (by a few degrees colder) every day so.... Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!
    Quote Originally Posted by DCBILL View Post
    Please snow. We're on such a tight schedule that a postponement kills us (both game tickets and airlines); even a delay wrecks some havoc.

I'll need a magic train to get ticket to Pittsburgh in time to let others use them.
    That tempterature is gonna have to dip a good 10- degrees to get snow. Everyone needs to be wishing for No Precip actually.

Right now, the Weather Channel is calling for 47 degrees and 50% chance of rain Saturday.
    The Standard Is The Standard and The Pittsburgh Sports Forum Is The Standard

Threads : 82

I'm actually hoping for Sunday. I am going to get smashed on Friday heheh. Honestly tho it does blow, all this snow we have had and this is the warmest weekend in ages.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information