Thread: Wallace adding more tricks to arsenal

Threads : 3263
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Wallace adding more tricks to arsenal

From Scott Brown's blog, "View From The Press Box"...

Wallace adding more tricks to arsenal
    December 24th, 2010

The “one-trick pony,” as Steelers coach Mike Tomlin calls him, is fifth in the NFL in receiving yards (1,152) and second in yards per catch (20.2).

Mike Wallace’s team-leading ninth touchdown catch Thursday night came on yet another big play from the second-year man with the sublime speed.

But it was anything but Wallace running past an overmatched cornerback and then hauling in a long pass.

Quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Wallace recognized a linebacker blitz on the play that came early in the second quarter with the Steelers leading 3-0.

And Roethlisberger flipped a short pass to Wallace, who made the Panthers pay for playing so far off him by simply running through their secondary on the way to the end zone.

“(Opposing teams) don’t really want me to go deep anymore,” Wallace said after his sixth 100-yard receiving game of the season. “Guys are really far off and they always have a safety over top so it’s kind of hard for me to get deep but you’ve got to always be able to do different things. If you can’t get it one way you’ve got to work hard to get it another way and that’s what I try to do.”

He has done it -– and specifically become a more complete wide receiver -– with such aplomb that Wallace may well make the Pro Bowl.

If nothing else, Wallace has outgrown the “one-trick pony” nickname.

Not that Tomlin, who knows a thing or two about motivating players, has any plans to stop using it.

“I like where he is but he is capable of more,” the fourth-year coach said of Wallace. “He’s a young man in development. This guy has a desire to have a complete game.”

The Steelers were comfortable enough with the development that Wallace made as a rookie to trade Santonio Holmes last April.

But they couldn’t have foreseen how smoothly his transition from a No. 3 wide receiver that primarily went deep to the team’s No. 1 wideout has played out.

Even better for the Steelers: Wallace hardly seemed satisfied after tying Yancey Thigpen for second on the team’s all-time list for 100-yard receiving games in a season.

“I had an OK game,” said Wallace, who caught four passes for 104 yards against the Panthers. “I feel like I should have had 200 yards because that’s the type of player I am and I always want to be the best. I’m always going to search for the ceiling and never be satisfied.”

As for that "one-trick pony" moniker, Wallace smiled and said, “That’s going to be by name for the rest of the year. I don’t care what I do, I don’t think it’s going to change. Hopefully next year I can get me a new name.”

http://blog.triblive.com/view-from-t...ss+Box+Blog%29
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 1632
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Wallace adding more tricks to arsenal

Threads : 440

only Randy Moss has had more receptions of 40+ yards during their first two seasons in the league than Mike Wallace...not too bad, huh?

Threads : 126
    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by WYsteel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Speedy GonzWallace!!!

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    only Randy Moss has had more receptions of 40+ yards during their first two seasons in the league than Mike Wallace...not too bad, huh?
    "Good company" performance-wise... Hopefully he remains a much better "person", though...
    "You only have one life, and you will not get out alive. Make the most of your time and have no regrets." - Me.

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    "Good company" performance-wise... Hopefully he remains a much better "person", though...
    I have seen quite a few interviews now he does have that swag you often see with wr's but I dunno he doesn't seem so selfish. Maybe that is the teachings of Hines Ward. All you can do is cross your fingers and hope the ego doesn't get out of control. I like him tho. He has surpassed my expectations of him for the year.

Quote Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
    He has surpassed my expectations of him for the year.
    ... Same here... And I had extremely high expectations coming into the season for him... Bonus...

Threads : 82

Quote Originally Posted by NKySteeler View Post
    ... Same here... And I had extremely high expectations coming into the season for him... Bonus...
    Personally I thought he would be well covered this year and have a drop in production over his rookie year which I wouldn't have been mad about. Obviously that didn't really happen. He done good this year.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Thread Information